San Diego St 11-7 4 22-11
Fresno St 11-7 4 21-11
Wyoming 10-8 5 20-13
UNLV 8-10 7 20-13
Utah State 8-10 7 17-17
Air Force 6-12 9 12-19
Colorado St 4-14 11 11-21
San José St 1-17 14 4-26

With the P5 conferences all increasing conference games, I think you will see an increase in these alliances between the nonP5 schools.  I would prefer an American Athletic Conference Challenge, but will take this, for a few years. 

3 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-talk about long distance travel, not many trips longer than UMass to San Diego St 

Rhode Island to San Diego State. :)

I'd be happy with this. It's an upgrade from the Valley (usually) from the MWC's standpoint. We have more teams than the MWC, so there will be a few A10 teams out, probably.

Nevada, UNLV, New Mexico, and SDSU are usually pretty strong. Boise State, Fresno State, and Wyoming were all solid last year. Colorado State has a new staff and they're recruiting Chicago hard because of their ties there (we've offered a lot of the same guys). The MWC is a good conference.

I'm mixed on this one.  While playing one of the top MWC teams would help the RPI, if we got paired with a bottom team it is like getting an extra game against Fordham.  Add in the extensive travel and I don't know that it would be worthwhile.  I agree with Hoosier Pal and slu72 -- AAC would pair much better.

Unfortunately, I think the AAC views itself as the P5 +1 conference in both FB and BB. I'm not so sure they would see playing A10 teams in a challenge as a positive for them. More likely thay'd be inclined to approach the Beast about a challenge series. That said, what does the A10 have to lose to approach them with the idea?

10 minutes ago, Matty Light said:

I'm mixed on this one.  While playing one of the top MWC teams would help the RPI, if we got paired with a bottom team it is like getting an extra game against Fordham.  Add in the extensive travel and I don't know that it would be worthwhile.  I agree with Hoosier Pal and slu72 -- AAC would pair much better.

typically they try to get as close to  1 v 1 2 v 2  3 v 3 ie as possible. 

3 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Unfortunately, I think the AAC views itself as the P5 +1 conference in both FB and BB. I'm not so sure they would see playing A10 teams in a challenge as a positive for them. More likely thay'd be inclined to approach the Beast about a challenge series. That said, what does the A10 have to lose to approach them with the idea?

BIG12/SEC started when the SEC was awful  Granted im sure tv rights and things like that helped.   As long as the A10 has a few teams that can help boost the other conference's rpi or whatever its called now it work's.  Conferences dont really care if it helps their 8th place team.

25 minutes ago, wgstl said:

They usually did a pretty good job with that during the MWC/MVC challenges. The bottom can get a little cloudy, but the top teams always had a solid opponent. 

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

Yeah, in this the final MWC/MVC, Loyola is playing Nevada.

Just because we are talking about it, here is this season's matchup.

2018 MOUNTAIN WEST-MISSOURI VALLEY CHALLENGE SERIES SCHEDULE
DATE                        MATCHUP

Tues., Nov. 27            Nevada at Loyola Chicago
Tues., Nov. 27            Boise State at Drake
Tues., Nov. 27            Southern Illinois at Colorado State
Wed., Nov. 28            Valparaiso at UNLV
Wed., Nov. 28            Northern Iowa at Utah State
Wed., Nov. 28            Indiana State at San Jose State
Wed., Nov. 28            Missouri State at Air Force
Wed., Nov. 28            Wyoming at Evansville
Sat., Dec. 1               New Mexico at Bradley
Sat., Dec. 1               San Diego State at Illinois State

There's some decent places to visit if we played MWC.  Reno isn't great but Tahoe is 30min away. 

Colorado Springs,  Vegas,  SD, even Albuquerque is nice.  If you're into skiing you could work in a nice trip. 

David King likes this

On 10/12/2018 at 8:18 AM, RiseAndGrind said:

Nevada 15-3 -- 29-8
Boise State 13-5 2 23-9
New Mexico 12-6 3 19-15
San Diego St 11-7 4 22-11
Fresno St 11-7 4 21-11
Wyoming 10-8 5 20-13
UNLV 8-10 7 20-13
Utah State 8-10 7 17-17
Air Force 6-12 9 12-19
Colorado St 4-14 11 11-21
San José St 1-17 14 4-26

The San Jose state matchup would be great for Fordham. Probably the closest thing we’d ever see to a Washington Generals intersquad scrimmage. 

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, ACE said:

Good news. A match-up with Nevada would be really good. 

A return to the Pit would rekindle some stories.  Bonner 24 and 19, Longley 12 and 18.

And let me think.  Do I save my frequent flyer miles for Olean, or use them for Vegas or San Diego.  Hmmm.

22 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-who in the A10 votes against this?  some very long travel for most and here we sit in the middle of the country!

I would think a key for the east coasters traveling west would be to get a second west coast game lined up; a twofer.  Same with the west coasters heading east.