PD Article for Friday on SLU Rebounding

HoosierPal

RU, I certainly hope Ford is our Few/Marshall. Both of those HC's could have pretty much had their pick of the litter when it came to prestigious openings.  Few's name came up for the UW, UCLA, and USC jobs more than once. And Marshall has been sought after by just about every SEC, Big 10, Big 12 job that has come open in the past 3-4 seasons. Yet, they are quite comfortable where they are. Now Marshall is in a much tougher conference than he's ever been in before, so it will be interesting to see how that plays out for him. I don't think it'll be a problem, though, since he's got a lot of cred built up over the years. He probably won't dominate the AAC like he did w/ Winthrop in the Big South or WSU in the MVC, but he'll still have them competitive and dancing more often than not.

As for Travis, he's been immersed in the P5 pressure cooker, so he may be content to stay w/SLU and keep us at the top of the A10 heap year in and year out. I don't think money will be that much of a factor if he wins here as Dr. C and NCAA $$ will pay to keep him around. Now, should the UK job come open, well, that's a different ball of wax that may lead him to exit SLU. But that will only happen if he's wildly successful here, ie Few and Marshall type successful. UK's not going to hire a mildly successful HC just because he's a popular alum. They'll be aiming way higher once Calimari hangs up his whistle.

9 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

I am glad he wrote an article on Goodwin but can Hochman not go one article without throwing in Mizzou items that don't need to be there?  "Oh speaking of Mizzou."  Give me a break, the article is on Goodwin, write it about Goodwin.  

Link

Exactly what I was thinking reading that article. “Goodwin is good, but Tilmon could be better.”  

I f****** hate SPUMAC. 

Here is the link for those that don't visit the front page of this site.  Great article if you ask me.  Nice quotes from Clags and Hughes.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/benjamin-hochman/hochman-much-is-expected-of-slu-s-goodwin/article_471f8367-2cdc-586e-9427-e195643dbf02.html

OT, Speaking of Clags and Hughes, pick your personal all time top 5 Billikens. Not six, not seven, but five.  Your list can have one center, two forwards and two guards, or five guards, it doesn't matter.  It's five.  Can anyone on this year's squad bump someone off of your list of five?  It would be v e r y hard to do on my list, but never say never.  

30 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Here is the link for those that don't visit the front page of this site.  Great article if you ask me.  Nice quotes from Clags and Hughes.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/benjamin-hochman/hochman-much-is-expected-of-slu-s-goodwin/article_471f8367-2cdc-586e-9427-e195643dbf02.html

OT, Speaking of Clags and Hughes, pick your personal all time top 5 Billikens. Not six, not seven, but five.  Your list can have one center, two forwards and two guards, or five guards, it doesn't matter.  It's five.  Can anyone on this year's squad bump someone off of your list of five?  It would be v e r y hard to do on my list, but never say never.  

my list is always changing.   today i am feeling lisch, hughes, bonner, love, and waldman.      goodwin will be there one day.  

the fact that no D1 player has ever had 3 consecutive games with a triple doubles is something for goodwin to shoot for.   I am shocked magic never achieved that.  

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

my list is always changing.   today i am feeling lisch, hughes, bonner, love, and waldman.      goodwin will be there one day.  

the fact that no D1 player has ever had 3 consecutive games with a triple doubles is something for goodwin to shoot for.   I am shocked magic never achieved that.  

My list is static, but the player in jeopardy would be Dick Boushka.  Yeah, I know about his issues, but he's on my list. Bonner, MaCauley, Ferry and Claggett make up my Top 5. 

30 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I recommend you start a separate thread for the all-time favorite 5 thing.  I think the discussion would miss many eyes here.  And even if not, it wouldn't be on topic.

You mean this one?

(BTW, @SluSignGuy, the search function doesn't seem to be working. I don't have a time restraint on it and it's only finding very recent hits. To find that link above, I initially searched "rushmore" and got nothing. I made sure my search settings were correct, too.)

SluSignGuy likes this

29 minutes ago, Pistol said:

You mean this one?

Yeah, I thought about that post, but the parameters are different.  HoosierPal's is talking about 5 players, and the Mount Rushmore premise was four influential figures in Billikens history (from the viewpoint of the commenter).  I don't think it would be inappropriate to separate those two topics.