PD Article for Friday on SLU Rebounding

HoosierPal

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, willie said:

I have maintained for years that the Post would jump on our bandwagon if they felt we were relavent. I wish Bonwich was here to quantify but I think we may be getting more space than the evil empire. Even KMOX seems to notice the local team . 

Didn't happen the last time we were good. Not like now - I wonder if Ford is just more accessible then Crews and RM.

14 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I wonder if Ford is just more accessible then Crews and RM.

I think you're on the right track with this thought.  Ford is much more media friendly and I think this (plus our anticipated success this season) is driving the additional coverage. 

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

Didn't happen the last time we were good. Not like now - I wonder if Ford is just more accessible then Crews and RM.

It felt like the period from 2012-2014 was overshadowed by the black cloud of Majerus' passing despite SLU's success. The media admired it, but even they were smart enough to see that it wouldn't last. It was like the little basketball program that could. 

What the media will latch onto though is a program with signs of consistency and longitudinal success. I think there many more indications of that now then there were after Rick left. 

44 minutes ago, Spoon-Balls said:

It felt like the period from 2012-2014 was overshadowed by the black cloud of Majerus' passing despite SLU's success. The media admired it, but even they were smart enough to see that it wouldn't last. It was like the little basketball program that could. 

What the media will latch onto though is a program with signs of consistency and longitudinal success. I think there many more indications of that now then there were after Rick left. 

I maintain the program made the key mistake by not keeping Spoon happy and in place until he wanted to retire. We were onto something good with him at the helm. He had the general population plus the school's fans in his pocket. But we nickel and dimed him into quitting. He liked St Louis and could have been our Marshall or Few. I'm still not so sure Travis views this job as his final stop. Don't get me wrong. I love what he's done in a short period of time. The question is how do we carry on if he departs. We have a piss poor history of sustaining our periods of success. 

SLU_Lax likes this

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

I maintain the program made the key mistake by not keeping Spoon happy and in place until he wanted to retire. We were onto something good with him at the helm. He had the general population plus the school's fans in his pocket. But we nickel and dimed him into quitting. He liked St Louis and could have been our Marshall or Few. I'm still not so sure Travis views this job as his final stop. Don't get me wrong. I love what he's done in a short period of time. The question is how do we carry on if he departs. We have a piss poor history of sustaining our periods of success. 

Spoon didn't put in the time/work to do  the recruiting that the other coaches mentioned do.  Kind of got sloppy on that, relying too much on other people's opinions than his own.  Don't think he 'went and saw the kids play'.

mhg

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

I have given this a lot of thought - now I could be wrong but I don't think so - Travis has been to the big show so to speak and he saw that even though he recruited well the team did not do that well because of injuries and OKS did not give a damn.  Now he is making good money here and while we would not be happy if he had a bad year due to injuries we would be far more understanding.  If SLU continues to pay reasonably, I think he would stay here.  He is in a basketball rich recruiting area and he is close to his family in KY.  His kids are becoming a part of the area.  From what I have heard the entire family is happy here.  He is 48 and he could simply put the money in the bank account so to speak and not deal with all the pressure in other P5 programs.  He can look at Marshall and Few and see that you can still make good money and be respected without being at a P5 hot box.  As I said, I could be wrong but I think he is SLU's to chase away.

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

I have given this a lot of thought - now I could be wrong but I don't think so - Travis has been to the big show so to speak and he saw that even though he recruited well the team did not do that well because of injuries and OKS did not give a damn.  Now he is making good money here and while we would not be happy if he had a bad year due to injuries we would be far more understanding.  If SLU continues to pay reasonably, I think he would stay here.  He is in a basketball rich recruiting area and he is close to his family in KY.  His kids are becoming a part of the area.  From what I have heard the entire family is happy here.  He is 48 and he could simply put the money in the bank account so to speak and not deal with all the pressure in other P5 programs.  He can look at Marshall and Few and see that you can still make good money and be respected without being at a P5 hot box.  As I said, I could be wrong but I think he is SLU's to chase away.

I hope you are right, because we need stability at the HC position to be a success.

4 hours ago, slu72 said:

I don't think Spoon would have had sustained success. You have to be willing to recruit. Once Grawer's recruits were gone minus H we were mediocre until Hughes

willie likes this

23 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I don't think Spoon would have had sustained success. You have to be willing to recruit. Once Grawer's recruits were gone minus H we were mediocre until Hughes

Agreed. When we had a great returning cast of guards and neede a big man to replace Evan Pederson, he brought in Sekue Barantine, who hadn't even started on his juco team. That one I never could understand. He recovered with the Hughes class and then got Marqui Perry, but retired befor Perry got here. 

19 hours ago, slu72 said:

He liked St Louis and could have been our Marshall or Few.

Regardless of whether or not you think Spoon's relative success was sustainable, his SLU career was never going to have the longevity of Few or (likely) Marshall nor did he match the soaring level of success during his tenure.

Few has been Gonzaga's head coach since the 1999-2000 season or 20 seasons (counting the upcoming one).  He is just 55 years old, so you have to imagine that his career is far from being over.  He could realistically be at Gonzaga another 15 years (coach K is 71).  Marshall has been Wichita State's head coach since the 2007-08 season or 12 seasons (counting the upcoming one).  He is also just 55, so he could conceivably also coach another 15 years.  Spoon coached SLU for 7 seasons and was 60 when he "retired".  He started at UNLV 2 season later and coached there for 2 1/2 seasons before he resigned at the age of 65 because of health reasons.  If he stayed at SLU and his coaching career ended at the same time he would have "only" had 11 1/2 season with SLU.  I guess you could make the argument that if he was happy, he would have perhaps been healthier or returned later and coached a longer period of time, but he ultimately needed a lung transplant in 2010 and passed in 2012.  I'd imagine that his health wouldn't have allowed him to coach very much longer regardless.

Few had Gonzaga in the NCAA 7 times during his first 7 season with 2 sweet 16s and no losing seasons.  Marshall had 3 NCAA appearances, an NIT championship, final four appearance, and an undefeated regular season in his first 7 seasons.  His only losing season was his 1st.  Spoon had 3 NCAA appearances only making the round of 32.  Spoon also had 3 losing seasons.  I realize this isn't apples to apples because of the different eras and SLU being in a tougher conference, but I don't think you can make an argument Spoon came close to matching either's success of the first 7 years of each coach's respective career at their school.

Travis Ford on the other hand is just 48.  He has 2 seasons under his belt at SLU already with mixed results, but could conceivably coach here for another 20 years if he is successful and SLU keeps him happy.  Impossible to project, but Ford could actually be our Few/Marshall type coach.  Here's hoping anyways!