MLS 4 the Lou

Bills_06

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

I don't see us ever using the stadium for Billiken Soccer games but this stadium would give us an opportunity to host NCAA Soccer and  Lacrosse final fours. I wonder if an athletic department can host a final four in a sport they don't field a team... I know my opinion means d!ck and is bias but I always though st Louis should be an every year host city for an NCAA sport like OKC and Omaha 

Somewhat related, you'd have to think it's a good thing for SLU to foster a relationship between SLU soccer and an MLS team literally a couple of blocks away.

billikenfan05 likes this

23 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

I don't see us ever using the stadium for Billiken Soccer games but this stadium would give us an opportunity to host NCAA Soccer and  Lacrosse final fours. I wonder if an athletic department can host a final four in a sport they don't field a team... I know my opinion means d!ck and is bias but I always though st Louis should be an every year host city for an NCAA sport like OKC and Omaha 

With all due respect NCAA Final Fours or College Cup as it is known are attendance losers.

I think that last year's College Cup was in Houston at the stadium where the Dynamo play. Barely over 1,000 people for the semi-finals, less for the Final.

The year prior it was in Kansas City and attendance was the same.

This year's College Cup is at UC Santa Barbara on campus. Not at the Home Depot Center or LAFC's new stadium.

College Cup has drawn well on the East Coast or South if there are teams that are within driving distance participating.

Otherwise College Cup is usually an attendance loser unfortunately.

Saint Louis hosted at Hermann back in 2006. You also won't get it multiple years or every year.

Why would you have it at an MLS stadium to attract maybe a few thousand.

Edited by stlwaino50

21 minutes ago, stlwaino50 said:

With all due respect NCAA Final Fours or College Cup as it is known are attendance losers.

I think that last year's College Cup was in Houston at the stadium where the Dynamo play. Barely over 1,000 people for the semi-finals, less for the Final.

This year's College Cup is at UC Santa Barbara on campus. Not at the Home Depot Center or LAFC's new stadium.

College Cup has drawn well on the East Coast or South if there are teams that are within driving distance participating.

Saint Louis hosted at Hermann back in 2006. You also won't get it multiple years or every year.

Cool post Tilkowsky

rgbilliken likes this

22 minutes ago, stlwaino50 said:

just because theres less in attendance, doesn't mean you shouldnt have it at nice venues.

10 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

why was tilky allowed back on the board?

Youd think the guy would at least make an attempt to change his writing style. 

Wouldnt you?

It seems to be really easy to pick him out every time. 

4 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Youd think the guy would at least make an attempt to change his writing style. 

Wouldnt you?

It seems to be really easy to pick him out every time. 

he wants us to know it's him and he is so smart to get back on the board.   he was constantly inventing new monikers at stltoday.    

14 minutes ago, stlwaino50 said:

It was at Hermann. So you are saying Hermann is crappy?

College Cup unfortunately is NOT a major sports event.

any cup or final at the college level is held on a higher level.  Nothing new about this. 

I've come full circle. I've gone from defending city dwellers/hipsters against county folk who complained and trashed the city for pretty much everything (while offering no solutions whatsoever), to now criticizing the city folk/hipsters for doing the very same thing. Kind of shocked at the amount of them opposed to this stadium/team. I get that the sting is still there from the Rams and that public handouts for stadiums, in general, are not a good deal for cities in the long run. But this isn't a normal deal. This ins't a public handout. The Taylor's aren't doing this to increase their bottom line. There is not 1 city in the United States that would turn this deal down. Not 1.  Funny thing is, there sure didn't appear to be much of an uproar in 2016 when the city approved tax incentives for BPV Phase 2. Or in 2012 when they approved tax incentives for BPV Phase 1. Or in 2018 when the city approved tax incentives for Del Boca Vista Phase 3. Maybe because those tax incentives went to a cause a majority of St. Louisans liked? Funny how malleable outrage can be, isn't it?

Sorry, had to rant. Please return to your regularly scheduled Tilk outrage.

1 minute ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I've come full circle. I've gone from defending city dwellers/hipsters against county folk who complained and trashed the city for pretty much everything (while offering no solutions whatsoever), to now criticizing the city folk/hipsters for doing the very same thing. Kind of shocked at the amount of them opposed to this stadium/team. I get that the sting is still there from the Rams and that public handouts for stadiums, in general, are not a good deal for cities in the long run. But this isn't a normal deal. This ins't a public handout. The Taylor's aren't doing this to increase their bottom line. There is not 1 city in the United States that would turn this deal down. Not 1.  Funny thing is, there sure didn't appear to be much of an uproar in 2016 when the city approved tax incentives for BPV Phase 2. Or in 2012 when they approved tax incentives for BPV Phase 1. Or in 2018 when the city approved tax incentives for Del Boca Vista Phase 3. Maybe because those tax incentives went to a cause a majority of St. Louisans liked? Funny how malleable outrage can be, isn't it?

Sorry, had to rant. Please return to your regularly scheduled Tilk outrage.

I havent heard anyone other than to alderwoman who were against the stadium still.  Sheesh, im not sure what else the group needs to do. 

4 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I havent heard anyone other than to alderwoman who were against the stadium still.  Sheesh, im not sure what else the group needs to do. 

I wouldn't be shocked to hear more from SLU law professor John Ammann if it passes tomorrow in the coming weeks about him trying to sue again to stop it until a vote can happen.  

9 minutes ago, wgstl said:

They are mostly on Twitter,  a breeding ground for armchair QBs and complainers :) Not sure why it bothers me so much but probably because of the irony. A lot of the complaints I've seen are that the stadium won't generate any property tax revenue (even though that site hasn't generated one dollar of property tax revenue the previous 50 years). These people keep claiming that something bigger and better could be built on that site instead and that we are kowtowing to mediocrity. The irony is this: they want to pass up this MLS opportunity and stadium (being paid for out of the Taylor's money market account) on the off chance something better may come up down the road. How do mediocre cities remain mediocre? By passing up project after project waiting for the one they feel is perfect. The one that likely never comes.

28 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

They are mostly on Twitter,  a breeding ground for armchair QBs and complainers :) Not sure why it bothers me so much but probably because of the irony. A lot of the complaints I've seen are that the stadium won't generate any property tax revenue (even though that site hasn't generated one dollar of property tax revenue the previous 50 years). These people keep claiming that something bigger and better could be built on that site instead and that we are kowtowing to mediocrity. The irony is this: they want to pass up this MLS opportunity and stadium (being paid for out of the Taylor's money market account) on the off chance something better may come up down the road. How do mediocre cities remain mediocre? By passing up project after project waiting for the one they feel is perfect. The one that likely never comes.

I get the impression that public support for the stadium is overwhelmingly positive.  Even among the aldermen.

36 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

These people keep claiming that something bigger and better could be built on that site instead and that we are kowtowing to mediocrity.

I like this comment from Alderman Ogilvie.

Even Ward 24 Alderman Scott Ogilvie, known for his skepticism of such taxpayer funding, voiced support. “I don’t see any other project using this site, ever,” Ogilvie said.

13 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

I get the impression that public support for the stadium is overwhelmingly positive.  Even among the aldermen.

Oh for sure, this has all the BOA support it needs for tomorrow's vote and then some, assuming they go through with the vote tomorrow.