MLS 4 the Lou

Bills_06

30 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I know how they look at USL and Indoor. I’ve seen it first hand. I would hope the the management would go after a guy like Dzeko, but I’ve seen how St Louis soccer operates, they try to put in mediocre local talent because: “soccer capital of America” and it doesn’t work

im starting to get that vibe from stlfc folks.  Seems they're trying to take the cheap way out in a way.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

I think they're getting that it doesn't work and they're finally putting a decent product out this season

It’s not a coincidence that it changed when they hired a coach that wasn’t engrained in the St. Louis soccer scene. I think that there’s an expectation that a St. Louis coach has to bring in St. Louis guys.

2 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

I believe that almost all fans new and "veteran" view MLS as minor league.

There are literally hundreds of professional soccer leagues around the world. The financial models vary so dramatically that it is nearly impossible to compare. Even within the top leagues, the difference between the top clubs and the bottom clubs is drastic and incomparable.

MLS has great parity among teams within the league which keeps it competitive and interesting, but it still has dramatic differences in quality between the top and bottom of most rosters driven in large part due to the combination of salary cap, Designated Player, and TAG structure. Calling it a minor league is neither accurate nor relevant in the context of professional soccer structures. While not "world class," the quality is good and, at times, it is very good. It is the fastest growing and most rapidly improving league in the world. MLS will likely finish number 6 in the world in average attendance this year. It is now both a buyer and seller of players with fees in the tens of millions of dollars. We can endlessly debate what constitutes a "minor league" in soccer, but MLS is now putting out a great product and isn't a business anyone would short these days.

2 minutes ago, davidnark said:

There are literally hundreds of professional soccer leagues around the world. The financial models vary so dramatically that it is nearly impossible to compare. Even within the top leagues, the difference between the top clubs and the bottom clubs is drastic and incomparable. MLS has great parity within the league but still has dramatic differences in quality between the top and bottom of most rosters driven in large part due to the combination of salary cap, Designated Player, and TAG structure. Calling it a minor league is neither accurate nor relevant in the context of professional soccer structures. For the most part, the quality is good and it times very good. It is the fastest growing and most rapidly improving league in the world. MLS will likely finish number 6 in the world in average attendance this year. It is now both a buyer and seller of players with fees in the tens of millions of dollars. We can endlessly debate what constitutes a "minor league" in soccer, but MLS isn't a business anyone would short these days.

As long as most of the players checks still read: Major League Soccer, it should be viewed as a low-level league

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

As long as most of the players checks still read: Major League Soccer, it should be viewed as a low-level league

As long as the check doesn’t bounce players don’t care how it reads. The signature on the check has no bearing in the context of your statement. 

3 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

You are missing out on some great teams and stories in the MLS, but folks in the UK are paying attention: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/how-atlanta-grew-into-a-phenomenon-in-19-months-pphts58fh

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

That would take out the fun of a CONCACAF champions league 

As an MLS/USMNT homer, I watch as many domestic games as possible, but really, the CONCACAF champions league isn’t a blip on any radar. I’d rather see it go by the wayside in lieu of a North American League (which could have a relegation structure at some point). 

slufanskip likes this

28 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

05 do you watch college basketball? Don't know if you've noticed but it's pretty minor league. Why would you watch players that aren't anywhere near the best players in the world? Seems like a silly waste of time. 

I would say that the difference in level of quality in the Premier League to that in MLS is greater than the NBA to NCAA basketball. I would also say that lower quality skilled teams in soccer affect the visual appeal way more than lower skilled basketball. 

5 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I would say that the difference in level of quality in the Premier League to that in MLS is greater than the NBA to NCAA basketball. I would also say that lower quality skilled teams in soccer affect the visual appeal way more than lower skilled basketball. 

You are just wrong. The top MLS teams would have no problem competing with the EPL teams fighting to avoid relegation. 

16 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I would strongly disagree. I just don't understand not wanting to watch an event unless it's the top players in the world. I love college sports and minor league baseball. If we get an MLS team I'll be a season ticket holder from day 1