MLS 4 the Lou

Bills_06

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

I would argue that MLS is still viewed as minor league among a lot of soccer fans. 

This is true from a international soccer fan.  Shouldnt be an issue for newcomers.

FC Cincinnati has been a runaway success here. They've broken every USL attendance record possible and are outdrawing most MLS teams. I'm not sure anyone saw this coming, but it was sort of the perfect convergence of factors since they started up - great venue and location, sports town hungry for some success with such dreadful MLB and NFL franchises, low ticket prices, family friendly, etc. I don't think they were going to be on the MLS expansion radar until things went so well, and now they start playing in MLS next season.

The challenge now is whether they can keep the momentum going. They're building a new stadium in a neighborhood outside of downtown without much development currently. They currently play at Nippert Stadium on UC's campus, right in the middle of the city. They're walking distance within one of the most densely populated neighborhoods here (UC is the second largest school in Ohio after Ohio State). There's going to be a jump in ticket prices next season, and probably another when the new stadium opens two years later. They've signed some MLS-level players and have been dominating the USL this season, but wins won't be as easy to come by next season. So it remains to be seen how all of this will translate.

So selfishly for me, having a rival from my hometown to play against my current town would be ideal. But I don't see any reason why the MLS wouldn't work in St. Louis if a city without nearly the soccer culture of St. Louis can make a USL team into such a big thing.

MLS has a lot of work to do in order to raise the level of quality and interest and build international prestige but getting into more markets and building stronger local bases seems smart. It's going to have to be profitable eventually, though. I'm rooting for it.

Brighton likes this

23 minutes ago, Pistol said:

FC Cincinnati has been a runaway success here. They've broken every USL attendance record possible and are outdrawing most MLS teams. I'm not sure anyone saw this coming, but it was sort of the perfect convergence of factors since they started up - great venue and location, sports town hungry for some success with such dreadful MLB and NFL franchises, low ticket prices, family friendly, etc. I don't think they were going to be on the MLS expansion radar until things went so well, and now they start playing in MLS next season.

The challenge now is whether they can keep the momentum going. They're building a new stadium in a neighborhood outside of downtown without much development currently. They currently play at Nippert Stadium on UC's campus, right in the middle of the city. They're walking distance within one of the most densely populated neighborhoods here (UC is the second largest school in Ohio after Ohio State). There's going to be a jump in ticket prices next season, and probably another when the new stadium opens two years later. They've signed some MLS-level players and have been dominating the USL this season, but wins won't be as easy to come by next season. So it remains to be seen how all of this will translate.

So selfishly for me, having a rival from my hometown to play against my current town would be ideal. But I don't see any reason why the MLS wouldn't work in St. Louis if a city without nearly the soccer culture of St. Louis can make a USL team into such a big thing.

MLS has a lot of work to do in order to raise the level of quality and interest and build international prestige but getting into more markets and building stronger local bases seems smart. It's going to have to be profitable eventually, though. I'm rooting for it.

I just looked at Cincinnati's stadium location - looks like an urban renewal site of some sort, but close to Over the Rhine?  I guess they were pretty limited in terms of available building sites.

I like the site for the STL stadium.  Removing the highway ramps at 40 and 20th Street will be great for downtown - hopefully the city will patch the street grid back together when it's all said and done..  Schlafly and Maggie O'Brien's have got to be pretty excited about this.   

Brighton and JMM28 like this

9 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

I just looked at Cincinnati's stadium location - looks like an urban renewal site of some sort, but close to Over the Rhine?  I guess they were pretty limited in terms of available building sites.

I like the site for the STL stadium.  Removing the highway ramps at 40 and 20th Street will be great for downtown - hopefully the city will patch the street grid back together when it's all said and done..  Schlafly and Maggie O'Brien's have got to be pretty excited about this.   

I am a soccer fan, but I am having a hard time thinking why anyone would not be excited about this:

• Removal of useless road
  • Put unproductive property to good economic use
  • no new taxes
  • helps cement downtown west momentum
  • state economic support
  • majority female owned
  • returns STL to a 3 sport town
  • generating new economic activity taxes

14 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I am a soccer fan, but I am having a hard time thinking why anyone would not be excited about this:

• Removal of useless road
  • Put unproductive property to good economic use
  • no new taxes
  • helps cement downtown west momentum
  • state economic support
  • majority female owned
  • returns STL to a 3 sport town
  • generating new economic activity taxes

ya not sure.  no good reason at least. 

3 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Soccer fans in general view MLS as minor league. I think that it's difficult for most soccer fans to get excited to watch MLS level soccer when you can watch the best players in the world on Saturday and sunday on TV.

he literally said newcomers in his post

5 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Soccer fans in general view MLS as minor league. I think that it's difficult for most soccer fans to get excited to watch MLS level soccer when you can watch the best players in the world on Saturday and sunday on TV.

Thats what im saying.  People who will be watching soccer for the first time wont know the big difference(between levels of soccer).  As a huge PL guy, watching the MLS, is well, rough.

3 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I believe that almost all fans new and "veteran" view MLS as minor league.

I'm not sure I agree, but perhaps our difference is a semantic one.  It's similar to the NBA v. international leagues.  I'm not sure international leagues are considered "minor" leagues, but they are recognized as inferior. 

48 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Anybody know if the old Harrys or drury inn would need to be town down for this?  Just doesnt seem like enough room. 

I don't believe the Drury will be touched but not sure. I also believe they're building a hotel on the former Harry's site (Fairfield Inn as of September 2017 but this may have fallen through). If you go to Google maps and use their measurement tool, you can fit a lovely rectangle on that spot that measures 550 ft X 450 ft* with some room to spare. I looked at some of the renderings online to get a sense of where the structure will be placed.

*Not sure what is considered standard stadium dimensions for an MLS stadium. I could just find standard field dimensions in my limited search. I believe FIFA fields fall between 130-160 ft X 210-240 ft. 

Update: it appears an $11M building permit has been issued for the Fairfield Inn on the former Harry's site. If this really moves forward, I'm with you, WG....it's going to be a very tight squeeze. My guess is they will shift the stadium east even closer to Maggie O's.

18 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Anybody know if the old Harrys or drury inn would need to be town down for this?  Just doesnt seem like enough room. 

Harry's is being demolished as we type.  Oddly enough, a Fairfield Inn is planned for the Harry's site - right next to where the stadium would go.

From the renderings, it looks like the Drury would be spared. 

4 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

I would argue that MLS is still viewed as minor league among a lot of soccer fans. 

It probably is, so how do you think they look at indoor and the USL?  

More Bosnians will be attracted to the MLS than any soccer product that has been here before.  Plus the MLS, will be smart enough to put a couple of players with long histories on the Bosnian National team on the roster.  Hell, Dzeko might even be an option by the time the team takes the field.

7 minutes ago, brianstl said:

It probably is, so how do you think they look at indoor and the USL?  

More Bosnians will be attracted to the MLS than any soccer product that has been here before.  Plus the MLS, will be smart enough to put a couple of players with long histories on the Bosnian National team on the roster.  Hell, Dzeko might even be an option by the time the team takes the field.

I know how they look at USL and Indoor. I’ve seen it first hand. I would hope the the management would go after a guy like Dzeko, but I’ve seen how St Louis soccer operates, they try to put in mediocre local talent because: “soccer capital of America” and it doesn’t work.