MLS 4 the Lou

Bills_06

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Presentation was well done. They are saying it's going to be mainly privately funded with a site specific tax. So those people who go to the game will be taxed on goods purchased but nobody outside of that will be affected. I think it's going to happen. In my opinion this will do alot of good for the city and if you want the city to succeed you want an MLS team. I'm pumped.

rgbilliken likes this

9 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Presentation was well done. They are saying it's going to be mainly privately funded with a site specific tax. So those people who go to the game will be taxed on goods purchased but nobody outside of that will be affected. I think it's going to happen. In my opinion this will do alot of good for the city and if you want the city to succeed you want an MLS team. I'm pumped.

I think it sounds really good and STL will definitely have a bid put forward to MLS. Whether we actually get a team remains unknown in my opinion. It's in MLS' best interest to get as many cities as possible into the bidding process so I think it's only natural they would fill our heads with soft promises and the like.

7 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I think it sounds really good and STL will definitely have a bid put forward to MLS. Whether we actually get a team remains unknown in my opinion. It's in MLS' best interest to get as many cities as possible into the bidding process so I think it's only natural they would fill our heads with soft promises and the like.

While I agree it isn't certain, I do think the league wants to be here and I don't think the Taylors go through this process without a good indication from the league.  In fact, this reminded me of a thread that was started over a year ago where The Pelican mentioned the Taylors started talking to the MLS so it seems this has been going on for awhile.  Plus it sounds like KC would like a franchise here as well so other owners are pushing for it.  

12 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Shocking that these things come together even though the taxpayers stood up to the threats made around the vote last year... it is almost like these types of projects...don't need...taxpayer funding..

I think the former ownership group did need the public’s help. This group is dealing in a little bit different tax bracket

31 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Shocking that these things come together even though the taxpayers stood up to the threats made around the vote last year... it is almost like these types of projects...don't need...taxpayer funding..

St. Louis County should have been involved in the first place. We need to think as a region not just the city. 

cheeseman and RUBillsFan like this

34 minutes ago, willie said:

And while I'm on my soap box Billiken Roy should have to pay to go to the ZOO. 

I do.   Have had a family membership for 25+ years.    Paying over $100 a year whether I attend or not.   

37 minutes ago, willie said:

St. Louis County should have been involved in the first place. We need to think as a region not just the city. 

It was the MLS that dictated the stadium be built downtown per Kavanaugh at a SLU soccer kick-off dinner last year.  This doesn't necessarily mean the County was precluded from participating but it was likely made harder by the firm demand by the MLS.

In terms of who wins, we are competing with Detroit, Las Vegas, San Diego, and Phoenix.  The latter three have one aspect that St. Louis does not and that is a larger Hispanic population which is a huge supporter of futbol.  So I think one of those will be selected.  Second, between Detroit and St. Louis, I don't know how Detroit would be a more attractive option than St. Louis with our historical tradition in soccer and location to Chicago, KC, Cincinnati, and Nashville.   Talk about being at the center of a nice contingent of rivalries.

If the details of the stadium deal are solid (i.e. Board of Alderman approval and state cooperation of the land cleanup and transfer), I think they will have no problem securing MLS approval. St. Louis has always been high the MLS"s radar and has been the MLS's top priority (after Beckham's Miami deal) since the day the Rams announced they were moving. 

10 minutes ago, davidnark said:

If the details of the stadium deal are solid (i.e. Board of Alderman approval and state cooperation of the land cleanup and transfer), I think they will have no problem securing MLS approval. St. Louis has always been high the MLS"s radar and has been the MLS's top priority (after Beckham's Miami deal) since the day the Rams announced they were moving. 

There are many perspectives to this argument. One could say that they want the stadium, though over time the use of it will decrease. What will we do then, make it into a conference center? Let's just face the facts, we have some solid teams (mediocre), though there are some aspects that I like about this proposition. I like the idea of it happening, but there are many factors involved in this agreement with multiple parties. I think the parties would vote for it unless the residents have to pay huge amounts in some form. Though, I think the revenue generated will help out with helping the city. In contrast, I think the downfall of this proposal, from a dull mindset (me), how are we going to get the most use out of the stadium? I think the MLS will be perfect for St. Louis, is the MLS ready for "St. Louis." I think it would brew great rivalries, like I-40 series, and the A-list Chicago rivalry. 

1 hour ago, Littlebill said:

I think the former ownership group did need the public’s help. This group is dealing in a little bit different tax bracket

I am quite certain that any members of either of the potential funding groups are all happily a part of the same tax bracket.

50 minutes ago, SLUBALLS said:

It was the MLS that dictated the stadium be built downtown per Kavanaugh at a SLU soccer kick-off dinner last year.  This doesn't necessarily mean the County was precluded from participating but it was likely made harder by the firm demand by the MLS.

In terms of who wins, we are competing with Detroit, Las Vegas, San Diego, and Phoenix.  The latter three have one aspect that St. Louis does not and that is a larger Hispanic population which is a huge supporter of futbol.  So I think one of those will be selected.  Second, between Detroit and St. Louis, I don't know how Detroit would be a more attractive option than St. Louis with our historical tradition in soccer and location to Chicago, KC, Cincinnati, and Nashville.   Talk about being at the center of a nice contingent of rivalries.

While it's a bit farther than the cities you mention, Minneapolis-St. Paul now has a team as well. So in the Midwest, we are surrounded by MLS teams. I'd imagine once they go to 28 teams the league will split into divisions. How about a Western Conference Central Division of STL, KC, CHI, CIN, Nash, and MSP!  4 of those cities are easy drives while MSP is a short (and cheap) 1:20 flight. If it weren't for their winters MSP would have twice the population it currently has. It's a fun town to visit, especially during the months the MLS plays games (Mar-Oct).

19 minutes ago, Ballingmeanthegradesfallin said:

There are many perspectives to this argument. One could say that they want the stadium, though over time the use of it will decrease. What will we do then, make it into a conference center? Let's just face the facts, we have some solid teams (mediocre), though there are some aspects that I like about this proposition. I like the idea of it happening, but there are many factors involved in this agreement with multiple parties. I think the parties would vote for it unless the residents have to pay huge amounts in some form. Though, I think the revenue generated will help out with helping the city. In contrast, I think the downfall of this proposal, from a dull mindset (me), how are we going to get the most use out of the stadium? I think the MLS will be perfect for St. Louis, is the MLS ready for "St. Louis." I think it would brew great rivalries, like I-40 series, and the A-list Chicago rivalry. 

The stadium will be privately owned and operated by the St. Louis ownership group, so we don't need to worry about usage. The dominant tenant will certainly be the MLS team, with steady usage of it during the season for decades. Any additional usage is just icing on the cake. 

9 minutes ago, Brighton said:

I'm thinking it will be used for FCS (and maybe occasional Mizzou) games and NCAA soccer national championship matches.

I doubt they will play NCAA soccer national championship here again. Remember what happened last time with the snow.