The rumor that won't die: NBA in STL ?

Brighton

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff Gordon trolling for clicks. Nothing to see here.

"If there's a gazillionaire that simply HAS to have a team in the STL, money talks"

Yes, if someone with stupid money irrationally used it to secure an NBA franchise and relocate it to STL, it could happen.

22 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

It would be a much bigger deal and cooler than an MLS team but I wouldn't pay to see it and I'm not holding my breath.....

Disagree.  Now that the excitement is back in St louis about basketball, I'd hate to have some middle of the pack NBA team take the excitement away.  Only way for SLU to take that leap we all talk about would most likely need an NBA-less city to support it 100%.

edit:  This is also because I hate the NBA and love Soccer, so Im probably way off too.

I wouldn't rule it out.  

Part of the Blues and the Enterprise Center lease is for sale right now, too.  If you could get a situation where you would have have combined ownership of the Blues, a NBA team and the building lease you can have a situation where having a NBA team makes sense.

51 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Disagree.  Now that the excitement is back in St louis about basketball, I'd hate to have some middle of the pack NBA team take the excitement away.  Only way for SLU to take that leap we all talk about would most likely need an NBA-less city to support it 100%.

edit:  This is also because I hate the NBA and love Soccer, so Im probably way off too.

This is my take as well. I tweeted this concer at Ross Chaifetz and he seems to think that there’s room for both. 

What billionaire is out there who is going to drop $1B+ on the Pelicans (or whomever) AND buy into the Blues/Enterprise Center partnership (which I imagine struggles to break even) and pay whatever relocation fee the NBA wants?

I know the Chaifetz family has money...but do they (or anyone with local ties) really have THAT kind of $$$ to invest in a market that has no real track record when it comes to supporting professional basketball?

Difference between hockey, mls and the NBA is the NBA makes money. A lot of it. In 10 years they will eclipse the profits of NFL teams. An NBA team in St. Louis would be much more viable than the Blues or an MLS squad ever would be. You just need an arena.

The NBA is not all that entertaining for true basketball fans.  It is kind of like watching the best football players in the world play flag football.  Sure you have the best athletes in the world playing but it isn't exactly the game of basketball, is it?  No defense or travelling.  Hero ball all day and different set of rules for star players.  No thanks, I will stick to college ball.

wgstl and Billiken Rich like this

4 minutes ago, Matty Light said:

The NBA is not all that entertaining for true basketball fans.  It is kind of like watching the best football players in the world play flag football.  Sure you have the best athletes in the world playing but it isn't exactly the game of basketball, is it?  No defense or travelling.  Hero ball all day and different set of rules for star players.  No thanks, I will stick to college ball.

5 years ago I would have agreed with this but the NBA has really changed into a skill game recently.

I'd be all about a NBA team and I do think they would hurt SLU but not enough that it would ruin the program or anything 

cgeldmacher and rgbilliken like this

3 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

5 years ago I would have agreed with this but the NBA has really changed into a skill game recently.

I'd be all about a NBA team and I do think they would hurt SLU but not enough that it would ruin the program or anything 

That was kind of my point.  It is like watching a skills competition because defense is not allowed.  It is still technically basketball but not the kind I grew up on and not the kind I enjoy.  If they brought back the hand-check and got rid of illegal defense it would be more interesting for me to watch.  I would also love to see goaltending elimanted once the ball touches the rim like in International rules.

I don’t see how anything that gets people excited about basketball in STL is bad for our program.  And make no mistake, an NBA team would excite people— especially middle and high school age males- the type we are trying to recruit. Imagine a free agent Jayson Tatum in his prime, and a veteran Brad Beal as the first two acquisitions for the team after moving to STL.  People would go crazy  

Then assume that an NBA team wouldn’t happen any earlier than five years from now. We expect to be a perennial NCAA team by then. I don’t think people would all of a sudden stop showing up for SLU games. 

I’d also rather have MLS. But I think there’s room for both. 

Quick question:  What do Creighton, Gonzaga, Xavier, and Dayton all have in common besides great fan bases? ..... No NBA team to compete with.  I personally would love having an NBA team.  However, due to my loyalty to the Billikens, my preference would be for an MLS team.

Brighton likes this

I must have a weird group of friends but my friends in stl either hate college and love the NBA, or the opposite.  I dont know anyone who likes both, myself included.  Ive always felt this too, but its always seemed like college football and NFL go together much better than college basketball and the NBA from a fan of both leagues POV

Billiken Rich likes this

6 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Quick question:  What do Creighton, Gonzaga, Xavier, and Dayton all have in common besides great fan bases? ..... No NBA team to compete with.  I personally would love having an NBA team.  However, due to my loyalty to the Billikens, my preference would be for an MLS team.

Yesssss.  Also feels like the top NBA markets mostly dont have a strong college program.  If you take away the LA's and NYC's, you have the bay area, Chicago, Boston, Houston, Miami, Dallas, Cleveland, and Portland.  Of those 8, who is the best ncaa team on average? Oregon ducks? Cal Bears? maybe Uconn with boston market?

2 hours ago, Duff Man said:

What billionaire is out there who is going to drop $1B+ on the Pelicans (or whomever) AND buy into the Blues/Enterprise Center partnership (which I imagine struggles to break even) and pay whatever relocation fee the NBA wants?

I know the Chaifetz family has money...but do they (or anyone with local ties) really have THAT kind of $$$ to invest in a market that has no real track record when it comes to supporting professional basketball?

I think if the Chaifetz family and the Taylor family decided to put their money together they can do as they please.  Blues/Enterprise partnership becomes much more profitable when you add NBA dates to the building's schedule.  It dramatically increases the demand and value of the buildings suites.  

Plus you get the leverage of having both an NBA and NHL team when it comes to dealing with local media rights.  You can start your own regional network with those two properties if a Fox Sports or Comcast won't pony up the bucks.

Brighton likes this

The best comparable to St. Louis is Cincinnati.  Major metro area with only two professional sports teams.  The college basketball teams, Xavier and Cincinnati, thrive with two other only two major professional sports teams in town, but no NBA.

Also, I think that Gonzaga's rise to prominence occurred right after the Supersonics left.  Seems like we're in that same place now.  Let's not ruin that with an NBA team.  I'll just have to keep making trips to Indy to watch the Pacers when I want my NBA fix.

Finally, everyone who says the NBA is no fun to watch because its all traveling, dunks, and no defense hasn't watched it in a while.  The NBA game is certainly slower paced now than the college game.  This is because of the amazing skill of the guys playing it.  Nearly every shot is either contested, or if its not contested, that's because some unbelievable passing occurred to get a play an open shot.  I went through my phase of declaring the NBA boring.  That's not the case anymore.

12 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

The NBA isn't going to hurt the Blues or the Billikens when it comes to the average fan who will attend a game.  We are talking about a team that will draw a great deal of their fans from a different part of the population than what makes up the Blues and the Billiken ticket base.  The NBA will draw a lot from people that don't but any tickets to sporting events now.  St Louis has about the whitest fan base around for the current sports teams.  If you attend any local major league or D1 sporting event, you would never guess there are over a half a million African Americans in the area.  They would go to the NBA.  It might hurt the Billikens some on the corporate end, but I think if there was any impact there it would be minimal.

I think the Billikens actually get a boost from a NBA team, because it would help the basketball culture in the area.

7 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

The best comparable to St. Louis is Cincinnati.  Major metro area with only two professional sports teams.  The college basketball teams, Xavier and Cincinnati, thrive with two other only two major professional sports teams in town, but no NBA.

Milwaukee has Marquette and the Bucks.  I don't think either suffers because of the presence of the other.

RealTalk likes this

20 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Cincinnati is the only city on your list of comparable size to STL and there is already a team in Cleveland which probably rules it out. 

It’s just as easy to throw out Marquette, Butler, ‘Nova, Georgetown, etc.   Milwaukee and Indy would probably be better comparisons than Philly or DC but the point remains... both can thrive. 

RealTalk likes this

10 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Also, I think that Gonzaga's rise to prominence occurred right after the Supersonics left.  Seems like we're in that same place now.  Let's not ruin that with an NBA team.  I'll just have to keep making trips to Indy to watch the Pacers when I want my NBA fix.

Finally, everyone who says the NBA is no fun to watch because its all traveling, dunks, and no defense hasn't watched it in a while.  The NBA game is certainly slower paced now than the college game.  This is because of the amazing skill of the guys playing it.  Nearly every shot is either contested, or if its not contested, that's because some unbelievable passing occurred to get a play an open shot.  I went through my phase of declaring the NBA boring.  That's not the case anymore.

The drive from Spokane to Seattle takes as long as the drive from St. Louis to Chicago.