Post Dispatch article on Gordon

6 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:
  • Hi Ben,

Which MO college basketball team ends the year with the most wins: SLU or Mizzou?
    by Deaner 2:30 PM
  • 25cad800-ce18-43d4-8c30-d97424b132ae.jpg
    I get hollered at every time I answer this question.
    I have not studied the schedules and opponents in detail enough to give an exact win total. If that's a cop out, so be it.
    I will say this: I do think both should be expected to be NCAA tournament teams.
    SLU has a bear of a non-conference, but could be the best team in the A-10.
    Loss of Santos hurts, but more playing time for Gordon. Big key is how new grad transfer point guard and former Tiger Isabell runs the point -- and how Goodwin scores off it. Good core in Bess, Goodwin and French. Gonna be a tough as nails, athletic team.
    At Mizzou, it's about the guards for me. Can Geist grow? Can Pinson help at PG sooner rather than later? Can Watson score? The Porter-Tilmon one-two is dynamic and dangerous. Someone has to get them the ball, and hit open looks when they kick it out.

Reading between the lines:

SLU will win more games/have the better season, but I'm rooting for Mizzou, so I have to weasel with my answer. —Ben

15 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Reading between the lines:

I'll take Ben's words at face value.  Even if you look at the schedules, it is tough to answer.  SLU plays a slightly tougher non-conference schedule IMO, but the A-10 has some games that should be cupcakes in it and is weaker overall than the SEC.  The answer largely depends on where you think Mizzou ranks in the SEC because IMO it looks like the SEC has a bunch of teams that will be bunched together near the NCAA bubble.  I think SLU probably finishes with more wins, but that means nothing about how the teams actually stack up against each other because of SOS differences.

Coach314 likes this

SLU finishes with more wins largely because we have a softer schedule overall. The SEC has gotten a lot tougher the last couple seasons.

I personally think SLU will simply be a better team then Mizzou, but I can see how one could believe Mizzou the better team and SLU will get more wins.

Quality Is Job 1 likes this