Fred Thatch - Great Article

Bills_06

Great article by Stu. Thatch comes off as humble and respectful.   I like the statement that he knows his high school stats don't mean anything to this team.

“I’ve never felt like this as far as my body. Lifting weights has truly changed my life in terms of my movement. My strength is getting a little bit crazy right now because I’m not used to it. That’s another thing I have to figure out.”

Spoon-Balls likes this

Great article. I have a feeling Thatch is going to be one of those guys opposing A10 teams get tired of and start asking “how long has been at SLU, can’t he graduate already”.

On another note, my Billiken brain is conditioned to think that any thread with just the name of a player in it is going to be bad news.

doowop and philliken like this

• Bills_06 changed the title to Fred Thatch - Great Article
3 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Great article. I have a feeling Thatch is going to be one of those guys opposing A10 teams get tired of and start asking “how long has been at SLU, can’t he graduate already”.

On another note, my Billiken brain is conditioned to think that any thread with just the name of a player in it is going to be bad news.

Updated it for you.  

3 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Yup, just seeing his name as the title of the thread, my first thought was injury....or worse.  God, November can't get here soon enough...

-good article, I love the ending....“I saw the vision of what the coaches were trying to do,” he said. “I talked to all my boys, and we wanted to do something different and give people something they haven’t seen before. I decided to stay home to give SLU something it once was.”

-FTJr, I hope you have a great season, career, education and overall experience at Saint Louis University

1 hour ago, philliken said:

Yup, just seeing his name as the title of the thread, my first thought was injury....or worse.  God, November can't get here soon enough...

Likewise, I said, "Oh hell, please don't be bad news." Braced myself... and it was something good. Who knew?

It's hard work being a Billiken fan.

7 minutes ago, Major Majerus said:

Remember Huggin's thugs? Every Cinci player looked like he lived in the weight room.  That kind of overall strength wears on opponents. 

I think they looked like that because they never went to class and spent all of their time on athletics.  Huggins had a pretty bad record for graduating players.  I don't know if it has improved much at West Virginia.

1 hour ago, Matty Light said:

I think they looked like that because they never went to class and spent all of their time on athletics.  Huggins had a pretty bad record for graduating players.  I don't know if it has improved much at West Virginia.

this is not true, huggins actually had a decent record back in the spoon days for graduation.   wasnt the best in the conference but not the worst.  now i am not saying they all had science or engineering degrees, but he got diplomas for his kids.   

5 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

this is not true, huggins actually had a decent record back in the spoon days for graduation.   wasnt the best in the conference but not the worst.  now i am not saying they all had science or engineering degrees, but he got diplomas for his kids.   

I’m not sure what you consider a decent record for graduation rates, but Huggins graduated only 28% of his players at Cincinnati who started as Freshmen. Hardly “getting diplomas for his kids.”

https://www.si.com/vault/2006/10/23/8391932/let-the-buyer-beware

http://www.thedaonline.com/huggins-rep-helped-by-latest-graduation-rates/article_f92d9795-062f-5c4c-b8c5-8f607f539d2e.html

8 minutes ago, ChangeOfPace said:

I’m not sure what you consider a decent record for graduation rates, but Huggins graduated only 28% of his players at Cincinnati who started as Freshmen. Hardly “getting diplomas for his kids.”

https://www.si.com/vault/2006/10/23/8391932/let-the-buyer-beware

http://www.thedaonline.com/huggins-rep-helped-by-latest-graduation-rates/article_f92d9795-062f-5c4c-b8c5-8f607f539d2e.html

28% is pretty good when you consider that 95% of his players had the IQ if a 6 year old. Pretty impressive really. 

almaman likes this

• 1 month later...

When all is said and done after a 4 year career, Thatch might be one of the best all time Billikens defenders. The man was fire last night on D! Somewhere last night, Majerus was watching on with pride. 

Brings back memories of Mike McCall Jr. making opposing PG's sweat. Last night was the happiest and most excited I've been for this program in 4 years. Hope Billikens fans continue filling Chaifetz to the brim, Ford and this team deserve it after the past couple seasons.