Welcome Gibson Jimerson

billikentim

2 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

Is Welmer seriously only going to be a Jr next season? Is that actually confirmed or is that one of those "he's going to apply for an exemption and we'll see what happens later" deals...and that's assuming his body holds up.

This is a guy who committed in Dec of 2013 when he was a senior in HS and he's seriously going to be playing as college "senior" in 2021? That just doesn't seem possible.

They announced him as a sophomore on Friday night.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, RUBillsFan said:

I wonder if Santos departure allows for us to potentially add a mid-year transfer or is his scholarship already used for the entire academic year?

If we can add a mid-year transfer, that could be a nice option.  There aren't usually a ton of them & odds of having the right fit with one are slim.  However, there are also not as many teams to compete with since not all teams have a spot open.  We could maybe add a So. big man with that spot that would then slot in with the French/Goodwin class and have 1/2 of his junior year and senior year with us.

Good thought.  There's some risk with that, but if the right guy is available, I think this would be better than a 2-year transfer.

56 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

Is Welmer seriously only going to be a Jr next season? Is that actually confirmed or is that one of those "he's going to apply for an exemption and we'll see what happens later" deals...and that's assuming his body holds up.

This is a guy who committed in Dec of 2013 when he was a senior in HS and he's seriously going to be playing as college "senior" in 2021? That just doesn't seem possible.

Just imagine the feel good stories on CBS about him when we go on that final four run in 2021.

GBL_Bills likes this

20 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

Does Social Security negatively impact eligibility?

Box and Won likes this

24 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I wonder if Santos departure allows for us to potentially add a mid-year transfer or is his scholarship already used for the entire academic year?

If we can add a mid-year transfer, that could be a nice option.  There aren't usually a ton of them & odds of having the right fit with one are slim.  However, there are also not as many teams to compete with since not all teams have a spot open.  We could maybe add a So. big man with that spot that would then slot in with the French/Goodwin class and have 1/2 of his junior year and senior year with us.

I would think that he was enrolled for this semester so this semester is lost but his schollie technically would be available for second semester.  

4 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

So is Gibson's 86% FT / 45% 3FG close enough to our new standard of 90/50?

I've been watching for someone to post Gibson's FT%/FG5/3-PT FG% numbers but haven't seen them.

Wasn't the Rick M. rule of thumb that a combo of those %s equaling 180 translated into an outstanding shooter that you would want on your team?  If Gibson's FT and 3-PT Fg %s are 86 and 45, totaling 131, I assume his overall FG % would be at least 49% getting his "shooting % total" to 180(+).

I don't recall any discussion of a new standard of 90/50 (FT and 3-PT %s).  That totals 140,  meaning that even an overall shooting % just equaling a players'  3-Pt % (50) would give you a total of 190!  I don't know if there are any of those out there.  I think the 180 combination translates into an outstanding shooter.  That brings me back to my original point-does anyone have recent shooting percents for GJ?

1 minute ago, bauman said:

I've been watching for someone to post Gibson's FT%/FG5/3-PT FG% numbers but haven't seen them.

Wasn't the Rick M. rule of thumb that a combo of those %s equaling 180 translated into an outstanding shooter that you would want on your team?  If Gibson's FT and 3-PT Fg %s are 86 and 45, totaling 131, I assume his overall FG % would be at least 49% getting his "shooting % total" to 180(+).

I don't recall any discussion of a new standard of 90/50 (FT and 3-PT %s).  That totals 140,  meaning that even an overall shooting % just equaling a players'  3-Pt % (50) would give you a total of 190!  I don't know if there are any of those out there.  I think the 180 combination translates into an outstanding shooter.  That brings me back to my original point-does anyone have recent shooting percents for GJ?

Sorry, having trouble pasting the quote from @The Wiz here, but this is what he said in the Recruiting thread:

I usually don't check anything till a player commits but because he is visiting and has a high probability of signing....I ran some numbers..

48**/ 45 /86*...=179 overall...Graded slash....A- **/ A+ / A+*....A+ overall... almost at the Majerus magic  number of 180....but with a couple of caveats

* = Small sample size....not meaningful but at least an indication

** =Not large enough sample size....bigger than small sample size but still not enough to reach a definite conclusion...trending in this direction

Bottom line....The 179 overall is a bit shaky due to lack of numbers....but the kid can shoot 3s...something we need and you never can have enough of....Evaluation...Promising

Note....the difference between my 45  and the 44 in the above article is that I rounded up...his actual  3P% is 44.7%....not a big deal but since it is his best stat and a significant one I thought I would clarify.

2 minutes ago, bauman said:

From the 2019 Thread

On 9/28/2018 at 8:26 AM, The Wiz said:

I usually don't check anything till a player commits but because he is visiting and has a high probability of signing....I ran some numbers..

48**/ 45 /86*...=179 overall...Graded slash....A- **/ A+ / A+*....A+ overall... almost at the Majerus magic  number of 180....but with a couple of caveats

* = Small sample size....not meaningful but at least an indication

** =Not large enough sample size....bigger than small sample size but still not enough to reach a definite conclusion...trending in this direction

Bottom line....The 179 overall is a bit shaky due to lack of numbers....but the kid can shoot 3s...something we need and you never can have enough of....Evaluation...Promising

Note....the difference between my 45  and the 44 in the above article is that I rounded up...his actual  3P% is 44.7%....not a big deal but since it is his best stat and a significant one I thought I would clarify.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

The career NBA average of the greatest shooter to ever live is 48/44/90. I am not equating Gibson to Steph Curry--there is obviously an absurdly incomparable level of competition--but it does suggest a truly elite level of shooting ability. 

4 hours ago, Pistol said:

Farrington is headed to Arkansas State, Morsell to Virginia, Davidson to Middle Tennessee, Maxey to Kentucky, Gillam to Cincinnati, Windham to Georgia State, Akingbola to Auburn, I don't think Smith is committed, and Beauchamp is a junior. There are some big-time names on the right, too, along with some recruits from a tier or two down.

So the short answer is: not necessarily, but it's a nice list to be on.

I know the Wiz said the sample size isn’t large enough to have a definitive evaluation, but if you look at the list of EYBL players on that tweet, he is pretty much in the middle of the pack with minutes played. Also, I think there was a previous tweet showing his total 3 pt attempts and I believe there were only about 4 or 5 players in that group who has more attempts than him. 

Pretty amazing that he seemed to go under the radar as a dead eye shooter with numbers like this...

4 hours ago, Duff Man said:

Heck, he might be Dr. Welmer when he finishes up!  😁

4 hours ago, Duff Man said:

He was one of the few Crews recruits who (when healthy) looked like he could be part of an NCAA tournament rotation.

I hope it works out.

There’s a reason he’s called Elliott “The Over” Welmer!

9 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Slu72, you forgot the blue ink. There is no way that we will keep this kid under scholarship until he reaches age 65 and qualifies for Medicare.

Every now and then it doesn't take any special notation for most astute readers to recognize when the writer is utilizing sarcasm.

16 hours ago, Spoon-Balls said:

I know the Wiz said the sample size isn’t large enough to have a definitive evaluation, but if you look at the list of EYBL players on that tweet, he is pretty much in the middle of the pack with minutes played. Also, I think there was a previous tweet showing his total 3 pt attempts and I believe there were only about 4 or 5 players in that group who has more attempts than him. 

Pretty amazing that he seemed to go under the radar as a dead eye shooter with numbers like this...

You will note ...I put asterisks on FG% and FT%...none on 3 pt shooting....He is a legit 3 pt shooter.....the rest looks "promising."