Santos Withdraws From SLU

slufan13

This news stinks.  Very disappointing.  Sorry no info to share about it, right now.  I'm pretty sure it will get around campus pretty quickly.

I will tell you that Santos was just flat out terrific in practice and probably would start, and maybe average 10 & 10, for most teams in our league.  A beast on the glass and a really impressive, violent dunker.  Last time I saw them practice I was wondering how they could keep him on the bench, and/or if he might start for us!  Go ahead, disagree.  & Welmer is a very different player.  Big loss, in my view.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

More the former than the latter.

I just think EW adds more of what we lack(outside shooting) than what Santos can bring in, defense.   We already know we're going to be a good defensive team, my worry is scoring.

bills11 likes this

10 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I don't want to hear about four guard offenses.  You need to be able to shoot well to make those work.  

Goodwin will improve 

Thatch apparently has been shooting very well

Wiley is capable of shooting 40% from 3

Coaches have really focused on improving isabells mid range and 3.

Bess I dont think will improve his 3 very much.

Going 4 and 1 was just to point out that it could happen to give bigs a rest.  Nothing more. 

10 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I just think EW adds more of what we lack(outside shooting) than what Santos can bring in, defense.   We already know we're going to be a good defensive team, why worry is scoring.

i dont want our bigs camping outside the 3 point line.  they need to be rebounding and putting back misses and defending the lane on defense.    look at that sentence, who is more likely to fit the solution?   welmer or santos?

5 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Goodwin will improve 

Going 4 and 1 was just to point out that it could happen to give bigs a rest.  Nothing more. 

i havent seen it for myself, but i have heard bess has worked harder than anyone on the team over the summer.   i would imagine that means a lot of shooting because bess is smart enough to know what needs to improve.  

Just now, wgstl said:

Goodwin will improve 

I think we will be better shooting from the 3, but we were repugnant from inside the arc as well last season.  We ranked 301st in two point FG%. It isn't something that improved as the year went along, either.  We shot worse inside the arc in A10 games than we did on the season as a whole.

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i dont want our bigs camping outside the 3 point line.  they need to be rebounding and putting back misses and defending the lane on defense.    look at that sentence, who is more likely to fit the solution?   welmer or santos?

Big difference in camping vs stepping out.   This team has good rebounders at every position, literately. 

5 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Big difference in camping vs stepping out.   This team has good rebounders at every position, literately. 

ok, i dont want our bigs stepping out to the 3 point line at all.  give our guards the room to play.   it is their job.  

4 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

ok, i dont want our bigs stepping out to the 3 point line at all.  give our guards the room to play.   it is their job.  

Want to know what my favorite thing is, french 1 on 1 in the lane.

And agreed that while it is their job, non may be as good of a deep shooter as EW.

Got home from work last night and decided today was the day to display my Billiken's flag on my front porch. Immediately went inside to check this site and this is the first thread I see. What a kick in the crotch. I guess we'll be making the Final Four as a 3 seed instead of a 1 seed now.

Think it's time to get a bigger duffle bag for Kofi Cockburn...(BLUE FONT!!!!!!)

7 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Got home from work last night and decided today was the day to display my Billiken's flag on my front porch. Immediately went inside to check this site and this is the first thread I see. What a kick in the crotch. I guess we'll be making the Final Four as a 3 seed instead of a 1 seed now.

Think it's time to get a bigger duffle bag for Kofi Cockburn...

I'm not sure we're going to make it to the NCAA tournament at all now.

A missed opportunity  for the 2nd consecutive year.

12 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Want to know what my favorite thing is, french 1 on 1 in the lane.

And agreed that while it is their job, non may be as good of a deep shooter as EW.

and if true, make him a wing if that is his strength vs being a true power forward big.  

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

and if true, make him a wing if that is his strength vs being a true power forward big.  

I dont follow.  Im not saying he drives the lane well, but as we saw last year when 1 on 1 down low he almost never lost the battle.

18 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

You don't think stretch bigs like Loe and Ellis created a lot of driving room for guys like Jett and Mitchell?

48 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I don't want to hear about four guard offenses.  You need to be able to shoot well to make those work.  

This doesn't kill the team, but it leaves little margin for error from here on out.  Our front court with Santos was something the A10 has never seen depth and skill wise.  It was something most big six conference teams rarely have.  IMO, that is what gave this team a chance to be really special.  It was a clear match up advantage we were going to have in every game we have on the schedule.  Now, you just can't tell the big boys to go all out when they are on the court without having to worry about foul trouble or fatigue anymore. 

Barring something else, this should still be a tournament team.  The chances of making it to the second weekend took a big hit.

This.

Between this news and the Cards throwing their season down the tubes, most disappointment I’ve had since this time last year. It’s foucking hard to be a Billikens fan.

41 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I just think EW adds more of what we lack(outside shooting) than what Santos can bring in, defense.   We already know we're going to be a good defensive team, my worry is scoring.

Welmer blocked 32 shots in 33 games as a frosh.  I'm not saying he is another French Rejection, but he can help out inside.  Strictly as a numerical comparison, Foreman had 10 blocks last season.  

12 minutes ago, ACE said:

You don't think stretch bigs like Loe and Ellis created a lot of driving room for guys like Jett and Mitchell?

jett was good enough going to the basket to get a layup on the new york subway at rush hour.  my memory of loe is a fantastic senior year.   the first three years were pretty frustrating to watch.   and that senior year, my favorite part of loe wasnt the shooting as much as he finally decided to do his part as a big.    ellis best moments was as the greatest charge taker guarding the lane in the history of the world.  

5 minutes ago, TheOne said:

This.

The Santos loss stings, but it doesn’t burn.  I don’t believe this impacts the teams ability to crack the Top 25 this season, but it could create problems during a potential 2nd round tourney matchup against a Power 5 team with a 6’9+ rock solid big man.  Many in/around the program felt Santos’ combo of quickness/size/strength offered him a chance to play in the NBA.  (Disclaimer: I dont necessarily agree nor disagree with that take).  

Fortunately, the loss takes place at arguably our deepest position.  This will give French and CG the opportunity to really shine here, and be an unstoppable big man duo in the A10. CAG has an immediate opportunity for the big time minutes he was looking for as a Top 10 recruit in the nation.  We’ve known how hard he has been working. Time to show it off baby!

Someone mentioned that there hasn’t been as much support for Santos on social media, etc. as there has been during past incidents of players leaving and/or being removed from the team.  My only comment on that front is that the policy which was broken is one that the team doesn’t have much tolerance for, and the players, staff, and personnel understood and respected the decision to address this problem as swiftly as possible.

The bright side is that this case is isolated and only involved one player.  

TheOne, thank you for contributions to the board. I hate badgering you to share more than you already do, but do you feel you can give a quick yes/no answer as to whether or not this was the "bad news" you referenced earlier?

almaman likes this