Santos Withdraws From SLU

slufan13

This type of thing is the new normal in Collegiate athletics.   In the past coaches could handle issues and they'd never see the light of day.  Now days with social media everything gets out so there's a different approach. 

I was very critical of Coach Ford when hired for Smart's antics and lack of tourney wins but I don't place blame on him for this.

MoyToy hyping you is like being on the cover of SI or Madden, kiss of death.  He's the one to blame for this.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

This loss may hurt but not as much as losing Graves, Henriques, and Bishop.  We've still got plenty of forwards and the guy we're forgetting, Hankton, is not going to have to play 25 minutes a game like Hines did...... 

henriquez was poised to be the star of the team.   santos was arguably the first player off the bench.   BIG difference.   still i was very anxious to see what the big man would do.   sad

18 minutes ago, SShoe said:

Obviously this hurts our front court depth and obviously we could use a healthy Welmer, but we'd be more than fine running Bess at the 4 spot for a few minutes per game and using an extra guard (Wiley or Thatch) at the 3 spot.   What we'd lose on the inside game, we'd gain something back on the perimeter.

i personally  dont think a fourth big is a huge need as much as a luxury.   i could easily see a scenario where gordon and french average 30 minutes a game and foreman gets the other 20.   of course fouls could easily make that dream vanish any game.   

SShoe likes this

24 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Yep, good point. French averaged 3.3 fouls per game, our only player at 3+ in that category. Per 40 minutes, it becomes 4.4.

Foreman was tied for 3rd in fouls per game, too, despite being 7th in minutes. He averaged 2.5 FPG, or 5.2 fouls per 40 minutes.

So yeah, two foul-prone frontcourt players along with a freshman and that's a good illustration of why we needed all four of those bigs.

Symptom of them having to do so much last year with no depth.

Just now, VeniceMenace said:

Symptom of them having to do so much last year with no depth.

Right - and now depth could be a problem again, especially if someone gets injured.

The guys talking about going with four guards are correct, though. We have enough size and physicality among our guards to run with that sometimes. Still, more frontcourt depth would've been nice, especially on a roster that lacks proven shooters.

18 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Just wondering - if it was a grade problem then an indefinite suspension makes sense and his leaving also makes sense if he just doesn't like going to school.  I understand that on 9/21 Ford was gushing about him but could it not me that he did not finish some summer work and everybody thought he would get it done but the time just passed and he didn't.  This reminds me of the Willie thing - he just could not handle school.  Now I do accept that it could be a whole set of other issues but like Pistol said, the kid screwed up somehow and now he is gone as it is suppose to be so lets just move on.

Also, I wonder if Ford was concerned about Santos regarding something and that is why he picked up KC - many thought that was an odd addition given the log jam at the front court at the time.

How could it be a grade problem the semester just started? He was obviously ok going in. 

Disappointed to hear this. I was looking at Santos for defense in the post...offense was just gravy. As our tallest player, my biggest concern is who guards those long big men who can shoot over the 6'7 French in the post. I felt like French struggled a bit with them last year (and I love what French can do on defense). 

I don't think this had anything to do with grades or sexual assault. I'm thinking it's more along the lines of he got caught smoking a joint or maybe got in a fight with a teammate. Then thought things were too broken to fix. Just message board speculation.

Sure hope Welmer can play a few minutes a game...

23 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i personally  dont think a fourth big is a huge need as much as a luxury.   i could easily see a scenario where gordon and french average 30 minutes a game and foreman gets the other 20.   of course fouls could easily make that dream vanish any game.   

I think your last sentence should be more worrisome than the macro level of the overall season MPG. In any sort of March game, having Santos as a starter capable backup would have been huge when going up against some of the larger P5 teams. The frontcourt looked deep, now it looks thin with the only backups being two guys who have been pretty injury prone. 

7 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Also stop saying that Santos' scholarship was a waste, remember Welmer has taken one for like what 5 years?

You have some of the worst logic I've seen of any poster here for years. Santos scholarship spot has been wasted with zero output for what will be 2 years. That is a fact, and Welmer's situation has no bearing on that whatsoever. 

billiken_roy likes this

4 minutes ago, NashvilleBilliken said:

Disappointed to hear this. I was looking at Santos for defense in the post...offense was just gravy. As our tallest player, my biggest concern is who guards those long big men who can shoot over the 6'7 French in the post. I felt like French struggled a bit with them last year (and I love what French can do on defense). 

I don't think this had anything to do with grades or sexual assault. I'm thinking it's more along the lines of he got caught smoking a joint or maybe got in a fight with a teammate. Then thought things were too broken to fix. Just message board speculation.

You'll have to dig back 8 years ago to when EW was playing, but he was a decent shot block, and could help answer what you're asking

49 minutes ago, wgstl said:

One thing about the team's size that never gets mentioned(because of front court talent), we could easily go four guards at times.   

I'd love to see Goodwin - Thatch- Isabell- Bess - French/Gordon

I don't want to hear about four guard offenses.  You need to be able to shoot well to make those work.  

This doesn't kill the team, but it leaves little margin for error from here on out.  Our front court with Santos was something the A10 has never seen depth and skill wise.  It was something most big six conference teams rarely have.  IMO, that is what gave this team a chance to be really special.  It was a clear match up advantage we were going to have in every game we have on the schedule.  Now, you just can't tell the big boys to go all out when they are on the court without having to worry about foul trouble or fatigue anymore. 

Barring something else, this should still be a tournament team.  The chances of making it to the second weekend took a big hit.

TheOne, SLU_Lax and billiken_roy like this

19 minutes ago, NashvilleBilliken said:

-why speculate?