Santos Withdraws From SLU

slufan13

7 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Yes. People who saw the team play have said he may have been the most athletic with his combination of size and athleticism. This is a big loss. We lose the depth of our front line which was going to be a major strength going into this season. Very disappointing. We are a hurt DJ foreman away from being almost back to where we were last year in regards to our forward depth. 

Don't get me wrong still pumped for Friday. Just less pumped.

6’8”, 250, seems like a stretch to me. You guys are all over the map on Santos. Obviously it blows, but I’m glad I’ve never seen him play at this point 

Billiken Rich likes this

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

No this is not fine.  

First we are losing a very intriguing player that we've been teased for months might be really special.

But more importantly I'm a little disappointed  .... no very disappointed  that apparently we have behavioural  problems again.  

I anxious to hear more details.   But one has to believe we will take a PR hit for this

Agreed and can see why The One couldn’t reveal.

We still have Wellmer. Different player but he's proven he can defend the inside and, hopefully, can still step out and hit the 3. Question is how long do we have him until his tire goes flat again. 

This must have been serious as Travis could have ordered a 2-3 game suspension. Hopefully it's not a Title IX deal. 

8 hours ago, slufanskip said:

If we want to compete with the best we take some kids that may not have had the greatest upbringing and role models. This happens in every program. I want Ford to continue to take the best players possible even if situations like this may happen once in awhile. 

Trouble is, it's happening in consecutive years.

We're becoming Columbia East. Not good.

18 minutes ago, Brighton said:

Trouble is, it's happening in consecutive years.

We're becoming Columbia East. Not good.

except that we really don't know what happened. We only know a player broke team rules, coach suspended him, he said no thanks and left. Playing devils advocate which of these players should Travis have not recruited and how would he know which one will do something stupid?

10 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

except that we really don't know what happened. We only know a player broke team rules, coach suspended him, he said no thanks and left. Playing devils advocate which of these players should Travis have not recruited and how would he know which one will do something stupid?

Well, all I know is it is a trend under Ford.

I want great talent as well, but I also want a clean program.

Santos, like all transfers, was probably a little overhyped. That said, it's still a meaningful loss for our depth. I have to think we're a worse team without him. But teams with conference championship/sweet 16 aspirations should be able to survive losing depth big men. 

The fact that Santos was "suspended indefinitely" makes me think it's more than just a bad attitude or bad grades but I also don't see any need to jump to sexual assault conclusions either

27 minutes ago, Brighton said:

Well, all I know is it is a trend under Ford.

I want great talent as well, but I also want a clean program.

We all want clean underwear too, but we all also know, that the drip, whether from the front or back, is inevitable at some point, resulting in soiled undies. It's just part of life Brighton, hope for the best and prepare for the worst, or in other words, always have a fresh pair of underwear in your back pocket.

If you go back and listen to coach and Rammer on the KTRS interview from 8-21 you’ll hear how excited both he and Rammer were about Santos.

Don’t kid yourselves, this is a big loss. Bad Billiken news two birthdays in a ro w for me. C’mon guys, straighten up and fly right, or at least wait until 9-26 to screw up.

3 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Those who think this isn’t a big loss or that it doesn’t reflect poorly on the program are kidding themselves 

Ok, It's a big loss. Next man up. Time to move on, let's not bemoan this sh!t for another 12 months like last year.

30 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Santos, like all transfers, was probably a little overhyped. That said, it's still a meaningful loss for our depth. I have to think we're a worse team without him. But teams with conference championship/sweet 16 aspirations should be able to survive losing depth big men. 

The fact that Santos was "suspended indefinitely" makes me think it's more than just a bad attitude or bad grades but I also don't see any need to jump to sexual assault conclusions either

If it was sexual, then good riddance. He'd have to be a complete moron not to have learned his lessons after last year's debacle. Not sure what suspended indefinitely means, ie could be one game or all 30 or anywhere in between. But if the transgression was serious enough for him to pull out of school tells me it's more than being late for practice or missing some weight training days.

The One's good news bad news post was about a week ago. If the bad news was this Santos deal, and not Wiley being in a boot, this problem didn't just pop up yesterday and he was immediately suspended. It likely means there was some discussion as to what to do about whatever bad situation Santos created for himself. Let the speculation begin.  

11 hours ago, JMM28 said:

Yeah it’s spent for the year already so it can’t even be used for a mid season transfer. 

Just two weeks ago, Mizzou dropped Van Leer from scholarship and added a freshman. I don’t know when the “lock-up” date on the scholarship starts but it’s possible him leaving before practice officially starts means the scholarship could be used for a mid-season transfer.

Brighton likes this

9 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Ok, It's a big loss. Next man up. Time to move on, let's not bemoan this sh!t for another 12 months like last year.

This is a message board where nothing else is going on. It’s also a place for me to express that I see this as a mark on Ford’s record 

Brighton likes this

13 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Then make sure you don't.

I haven't.

21 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

This is a message board where nothing else is going on. It’s also a place for me to express that I see this as a mark on Ford’s record 

I get that what you're saying about this being a message board and I think that there are marks on the program like last year and it seems like you're equating that to Santos when you have no information other than the player was suspended indefinitely and decided to bounce. So if/when we find out what exactly happened then I'll conclude if this is a serious mark on the program and Travis Ford until then I'll reserve judgement.

slufanskip and ACE like this

I agree with 05 that I really do not want to start a 900 page thread about speculation and predicted fallout for a player who never suited up for us/wasn't local/etc. 

I spent too much time agonizing over S2 last year and am ready to just enjoy a successful season with JGood leading the charge.  

rgbilliken likes this

17 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Just two weeks ago, Mizzou dropped Van Leer from scholarship and added a freshman. I don’t know when the “lock-up” date on the scholarship starts but it’s possible him leaving before practice officially starts means the scholarship could be used for a mid-season transfer.

60% of the non-grad transfers Ford has brought in have left under bad circumstances without ever playing a game.  We probably need to stick to high school recruits and grad transfers.

5 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I haven't.

I get that what you're saying about this being a message board and I think that there are marks on the program like last year and it seems like you're equating that to Santos when you have no information other than the player was suspended indefinitely and decided to bounce. So if/when we find out what exactly happened then I'll conclude if this is a serious mark on the program and Travis Ford until then I'll reserve judgement.

Santos is the third transfer in three years that will never put on a Billiken uniform.  That is 6 wasted scholarship years. That is a problem.