Billiken Madness

Cowboy

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

on a more positive note, fred Shaft thatch is the real deal.    i assumed he was a player, but he is a ready to go player imo.   biggest positive takeaway of the night imo.   

roy, agree definitely. thatch looks older than he is, both physically and in poise and skill. also, jacobs is tons of fun to watch and has fun playing. infectious. mr gordon is a handful. man how he will give many teams fits. bess shot well. a senior who spent time this summer getting ready to leave his mark this year. goodwin is lighter, seems quicker, shot looked good. should be 1st team A10. isabell can shoot the ball, great pick up.

i know this has been said, but on paper, this is the best group of Billikens in a very long time. likely since easy ed and company won the NIT. certainly the best I've seen - and that goes back to the early 70s. without question, the most 4-star recruits ever. beyond talented, they're strong and determined. uber-competitive, hate to lose. and even without santos, they are still deep. now if coach ford makes the right coaching moves, gets them to play unselfishly/team blue, and stay healthy -- and be the best "team" -- look out.

gonna be a fun year.

53 minutes ago, Spoon-Balls said:

Glad to hear Wiley will be back next week. Disappointed about losing Santos, especially knowing he would have started at the 5, but luckily we have a very deep front court.

Santos must have done something really dumb if he was suspended indefinitely and the players were all in agreement with it...

Players in agreement?  Where did that scoop come from?  Legit or speculation?

5 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Players in agreement?  Where did that scoop come from?  Legit or speculation?

On 9/26/2018 at 11:27 AM, TheOne said:

This.

The Santos loss stings, but it doesn’t burn.  I don’t believe this impacts the teams ability to crack the Top 25 this season, but it could create problems during a potential 2nd round tourney matchup against a Power 5 team with a 6’9+ rock solid big man.  Many in/around the program felt Santos’ combo of quickness/size/strength offered him a chance to play in the NBA.  (Disclaimer: I dont necessarily agree nor disagree with that take).  

Fortunately, the loss takes place at arguably our deepest position.  This will give French and CG the opportunity to really shine here, and be an unstoppable big man duo in the A10. CAG has an immediate opportunity for the big time minutes he was looking for as a Top 10 recruit in the nation.  We’ve known how hard he has been working. Time to show it off baby!

Someone mentioned that there hasn’t been as much support for Santos on social media, etc. as there has been during past incidents of players leaving and/or being removed from the team.  My only comment on that front is that the policy which was broken is one that the team doesn’t have much tolerance for, and the players, staff, and personnel understood and respected the decision to address this problem as swiftly as possible.

The bright side is that this case is isolated and only involved one player.  

Thoughts from a dark deck in Maryland .....

Watched the stream.  EXTREMELY thankful such was provided.  EXTREMELY nice job.  Don't care much for all the hip-hop but those are the times and I am old and cranky.  Thought the crowd was well-representative.  Could have used some crown noise but cie la vie.

The ladies ----- are going to get killed by Uconn.  Frantz looks like a good holdover.  Harbison shows the most promise.  The big freshman white girl needs development.  Don't know what McMahan provides.  I think they will struggle.

The guys ---- it was an all-star game with very little defense and discipline.  I noticed Guy wasn't even close at times.  Yes, that is embarrassing. Thor made a three.  Hankton made a three.  Jacobs as well I think.  Foreman made two.  Seeing Welmer play and produce was nice enough.  Going to need that without Santos.  What did Santos do?  Goodwin made a three and looked in control. Isabell will shoot from Hermann.  Gordon appears to be the real deal but there wasn't a whole lot but fun to take away from the event.  Excitement reigns supreme and nothing I saw detracts form this is being the best assembly of talent I have ever seen.  The Santos loss will hurt, but given what we endured the last three years, that might be minor in retrospect.  Thatch can be one of the best Billikens ever.  Jacobs has great promise.  Wiley will be gravy.

It's been a long time incoming but i think we are back.  

Billikid likes this

35 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Thoughts from a dark deck in Maryland .....

Watched the stream.  EXTREMELY thankful such was provided.  EXTREMELY nice job.  Don't care much for all the hip-hop but those are the times and I am old and cranky.  Thought the crowd was well-representative.  Could have used some crown noise but cie la vie.

The ladies ----- are going to get killed by Uconn.  Frantz looks like a good holdover.  Harbison shows the most promise.  The big freshman white girl needs development.  Don't know what McMahan provides.  I think they will struggle.

The guys ---- it was an all-star game with very little defense and discipline.  I noticed Guy wasn't even close at times.  Yes, that is embarrassing. Thor made a three.  Hankton made a three.  Jacobs as well I think.  Foreman made two.  Seeing Welmer play and produce was nice enough.  Going to need that without Santos.  What did Santos do?  Goodwin made a three and looked in control. Isabell will shoot from Hermann.  Gordon appears to be the real deal but there wasn't a whole lot but fun to take away from the event.  Excitement reigns supreme and nothing I saw detracts form this is being the best assembly of talent I have ever seen.  The Santos loss will hurt, but given what we endured the last three years, that might be minor in retrospect.  Thatch can be one of the best Billikens ever.  Jacobs has great promise.  Wiley will be gravy.

It's been a long time incoming but i think we are back.  

UConn kills everybody usually

Clearly, Santos violated a rule that is really taboo.  What it was is not really important at this point - we really do not have to be church ladies and gossip.  He is gone and apparently it was deserved (If I had to guess he probably something like getting into it with a coach - but like I said it is irrelevant now)

38 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

First off you can’t judge a team by their screw around madness performance. I remember being impressed by Crews’ new freshmen (mostly MY)

this team is going to be far better than expectations 

I agree. It's better to go by how many stars they are ranked with as recruits. 

10 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

He announced the wrong person at least 4x.   And at least that many times the other team had the ball across the halfline  before he announced who scored, i.e. he doesn't even know the players.   Come on even a little prep work would be nice.  

Agreed. Yes, it is alot of new faces and names. Yes, some names are tougher to pronounce... but a little prep work now will help all year long. Butchering the names of opponents is somewhat expected... but not your own team as he does each year.  It’s call pride in your work. Shame he doesn’t seem to care as this has been an issue year after year.