Billiken Madness

Cowboy

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

And that’s s positive ID of Markese Jacobs, I can tell by his ears. Whether he’s there just to see his brother or because he’s truly interested in playing here, time will tell.

CORRECTION, I don’t think that’s him...

It’s not Markese Jacobs.

7 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

ANyone else think Invigi will be much better than we thought

No.   I think he and hankton both are far behind the rest of the team talent wise.

Just now, billikenfan05 said:

They are here to shoot and be serviceable otherwise. They are role players and that’s okay. 

They are last 5 minute of blowout players at this point.  Maybe they will develop into more but they wont be contributors this season imo.   

5 hours ago, FromDaEastSide said:

Did anyone else see Gus jump up and leave before the end of the event? It’s not like he has morning radio show to wake up for anymore. 

Clueless and Classless

I remember during this event before the 2012-13 season Guy Phillips made some crack to Jim Crews about Bobby Knight and some reference to scandal at IU and Crews was clearly fighting the urge to punch him in the face.

Guy is so tone deaf. He isn't really a Billikens fan, he just likes the ego trip. His schtick is so tired.

It's a shame that his connection to one single booster has given him an effective lifetime appointment - except on nights when he's got somewhere else to be.

Guy was typical self last night. Nothing new or good. Not surprised. It was a fun event nonetheless. If this team is as good as I think they will be, Guy’s terrible pa will not even be in the conversation. I can live with it! Trust me I’m not a fan of his by no means! If he wants to do stand up go to Westport, that’s all I’ll say. Has gotten old.

24 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

Ford on Welmer, STLToday today:

“I can’t describe how happy I am for him,” Ford said. “I’m excited for him and for our team to have him playing, and he’s playing tremendously well. If we had a game tomorrow, he would play significant time.”

This is great news.  Really happy for EW and applaud his perseverance.  There’s a substantial role this season for a healthy Welmer.

46 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

Ford on Welmer, STLToday today:

“I can’t describe how happy I am for him,” Ford said. “I’m excited for him and for our team to have him playing, and he’s playing tremendously well. If we had a game tomorrow, he would play significant time.”

Interesting. Love to see this in light of Santos news 

Here’s the article:  https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/billikens-return-to-basketball-court-with-big-plans/article_25a486a6-a9a3-5e04-baaa-bd9397e695f4.html

Couple of interesting points:

1. Santos was getting a lot of time at the 5 and seemed to be penciled in as a starter.

2.  CAG getting time at the 3, but that will change some with santos’ departure.

3. The good news regarding EW mentioned above. 

4 hours ago, cheeseman said:

I could not agree more about Gus - Have you ever actually told May or somebody of importance at the AD of your thoughts about Gus?  I am not trying to be a smart guy here but I unless they know how people think nothing will change.  Also, I have no idea how much money Tucci gives but I could see that it could be enough to make everybody in the AD choke Gus down.

I’m sure they’ve heard it plenty.

That this thread is mostly about Guy’s mistakes, which are by no means a new thing, really highlights what people should have already known...this was a glorified shoot-around.  

Just relax and enjoy it.  Get serious when the games are serious.

6 hours ago, Billfan7 said:

Gus treats this job like he is doing a favor for his friend's 6th grade CYC team.  He acts like he is above doing it. No preparation or knowledge of the team - just wings it every night.  They should find someone who is hungry and looking to make a career out of it.  

100%. Just as bad, his jokes and sarcasm aren't funny, are of an older era/not culturally hip and almost always ill-timed. He feels he has to comment all the time; sometimes better to shut up. For him, it should be nearly always. I was cringing throughout, hoping the recruits and new players weren't listening.

Some combination of Andre (who was very good) and Bob Ramsey would have been A+.

1 hour ago, moytoy12 said:

Here’s the article:  https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/billikens-return-to-basketball-court-with-big-plans/article_25a486a6-a9a3-5e04-baaa-bd9397e695f4.html

Couple of interesting points:

1. Santos was getting a lot of time at the 5 and seemed to be penciled in as a starter.

2.  CAG getting time at the 3, but that will change some with santos’ departure.

3. The good news regarding EW mentioned above. 

Glad to hear Wiley will be back next week. Disappointed about losing Santos, especially knowing he would have started at the 5, but luckily we have a very deep front court.

Santos must have done something really dumb if he was suspended indefinitely and the players were all in agreement with it...