Billiken Madness

Cowboy

4 minutes ago, NashvilleBilliken said:

Is this tongue in cheek? Yesterday was so embarrassing and I have never railed on the guy before. He is literally cracking jokes at the PLAYERS instead of hyping the crowd. He missed several names. He made the event about him instead of the guys. His whole tone is depressing. He may be mediocre announcing games when you just need to say a name (though he has about a 10% error rate), but yesterday was not something he should have been doing. I can honestly say that I have never heard a worse PA announcer at any sporting event than what I witnessed last night.

Totally disagree. Hell yes he was cracking jokes. That’s the point. Last night was fun,light exactly the atmosphere you want. I believe this boards obsession with him is over the top. 

Ironbills and HoosierPal like this

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, Billfan7 said:

Gus treats this job like he is doing a favor for his friend's 6th grade CYC team.  He acts like he is above doing it. No preparation or knowledge of the team - just wings it every night.  They should find someone who is hungry and looking to make a career out of it.  

This.

If he doesn't want to put in the work then he shouldn't do it. 

I'm not sure if he just hates doing the job or if he really is that bad at it, maybe a combination of both. 

Fire his butt. I don't care if it pisses Tucci off. The Pasta House sucks anyway.

Billiken Rich likes this

7 minutes ago, willie said:

Totally disagree. Hell yes he was cracking jokes. That’s the point. Last night was fun,light exactly the atmosphere you want. I believe this boards obsession with him is over the top. 

He wasn’t funny and I know about not being funny. Andre should have been emceeing it like an And 1 mixtape not guy Phillips doing his Schtick. You have one chance to enthrall the students, you had them with the fire and the DJ and then you had guy giving the announcing the energy of a tortoise. He just sapped the energy from the event. 

10 minutes ago, willie said:

Could you imagine an NBA announcer telling Lebron he isnt allowed to smile during the dunk contest? Telling Judge Wilt Chamberlain that he can't handle the scoring because he couldn't handle math in school? He waffled back and forth 4 times on how to pronounce Care'are's name. It is a PA job, not jokes with your friends.

You are entitled to your opinion but I really think he does a horrible job.

Billiken Rich likes this

27 minutes ago, Billfan7 said:

Gus treats this job like he is doing a favor for his friend's 6th grade CYC team.  He acts like he is above doing it. No preparation or knowledge of the team - just wings it every night.  They should find someone who is hungry and looking to make a career out of it.  

While his radio show is not my cup of tea, he is obviously a talented broadcaster, a great salesman and understands you have to change with the times.  You can’t be as successful for decades as he has in the radio business without all that being true.  He does a ton for charity.

All that said, he just doesn’t do an acceptable job as the PA announcer.  He might have too much on his plate to put the time in he heeds to for this.

SLU needs to demand better.  The program and the fans deserve someone that has the time to properly prepare for the job.

Billiken Rich likes this

5 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

He wasn’t funny and I know about not being funny. Andre should have been emceeing it like an And 1 mixtape not guy Phillips doing his Schtick. You have one chance to enthrall the students, you had them with the fire and the DJ and then you had guy giving the announcing the energy of a tortoise. He just sapped the energy from the event. 

The should have had Andre do the team intros. Rammer and Earl should have done dunk contest and the scrimmage.

FromDaEastSide likes this

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

gus is so bad that at some point the money shouldnt matter.   he takes absolutely no pride in his work proof of that is not knowing who the players were last night.  just sad to have such a hack as our PA guy.  

on a more positive note, fred Shaft thatch is the real deal.    i assumed he was a player, but he is a ready to go player imo.   biggest positive takeaway of the night imo.   

I could not agree more about Gus - Have you ever actually told May or somebody of importance at the AD of your thoughts about Gus?  I am not trying to be a smart guy here but I unless they know how people think nothing will change.  Also, I have no idea how much money Tucci gives but I could see that it could be enough to make everybody in the AD choke Gus down.

1 hour ago, willie said:

I’m sorry I just don’t get this hatred of Guy. I thought he did a damn good job. Had the right amount of irreverence. 

He announced the wrong person at least 4x.   And at least that many times the other team had the ball across the halfline  before he announced who scored, i.e. he doesn't even know the players.   Come on even a little prep work would be nice.  

AGB91 likes this

Just now, cheeseman said:

I could not agree more about Gus - Have you ever actually told May or somebody of importance at the AD of your thoughts about Gus?  

Yes.  Every year.   

Duff Man likes this

2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I appreciated the stream and thought it was pretty well done overall.  I have one suggestion for next time, add a crowd mic or two so you get some sound beside the music and announcing. Hearing some crowd reaction adds a lot.

I really  need to praise the stream more than I did there.  I was really surprised by how well it was done.  Multiple camera angles, replays, a high quality picture, etc.. It was a professional production.  Hats off to the people who put it together.

majerus mojo likes this

24 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

Anybody got any thoughts on the players?

Thor has a really smooth release on his three point shot. Isabel's shooting looked effortless, he may be one of our best players this year. Hankton Welmer and Thatch also had a couple good shots from downtown. Bess even made a half court shot as time expired at the end. I know it was just a practice scrimmage, but Goodwin had a couple of pullback jumpers that looked significantly improved from last year. 

In summary, our outside shooting is going to be a lot better. 

3 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I really  need to praise the stream more than I did there.  I was really surprised by how well it was done.  Multiple camera angles, replays, a high quality picture, etc.. It was a professional production.  Hats off to the people who put it together.

Couldn't agree more. Very grateful to the AD for providing it and it was high quality. Well done.

12 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

He announced the wrong person at least 4x.   And at least that many times the other team had the ball across the halfline  before he announced who scored, i.e. he doesn't even know the players.   Come on even a little prep work would be nice.  

He did say Isabell was a freshman during French's dunk attempts. Other than that, I really didn't notice anything he said, maybe I didn't pay enough attention.

26 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

Getting off Guy talk and going to @Pistol's topic, for sure Bradford is behind Goodwin and Natty Nate.  That Jacobs in front of him with his dad too?

LRlP9hSW4w098IQW57WSmcieGpKPB-U3ZgA6GEvuYZS4oT8KwIWd_ahSacRlRPSa5s8Jy4haPGl2iHWrjR_Ockr2QwaLvHgxTdvzrqu1HwnGTGCiTRP1owAf6RRfTrxjsfe6EUidEMNl64oU0qHLsBy_GoqqxAbU7RrZ9HwM3RTWj2AOcwnbFzZOvQnhHWkRaygDxKebMZu4AOgxk1WdZWzGB_18cfMe5GlPklwNFrmcX2ySX3A-AJO9GX6ELJCIya6FHWObRJ4xRM6LypnPjmuosKt7SBZVVj7SH9n_KsPfU9Pl15lbJq0JnAycxsQlA0uF4uMpZXe_qWBx7e0OlZsroQTUbICGeitrl7owl9HoyHttXN3LBctT_aB9PwU30VIv52ZqG7cyJtBRv71SJXfoBD_0xK49AbSL6kn7y16Y45qgpQA649LTkfh0yAHB5Ah_TdHTFQgJ0qa3Uu_1VHt8tZZAIyPY-dHIyj-ht8yLHPG-Xj4QksEhrz2yfD1V4MKVHioU9RWAPHa7k7wwrtELNKd_4Z2eeE2gqsX4cmLtrujTbNSoBDriv6SgK0uE4R_uvrsZTyoabbuFC-tSpWzJztgBWmcQzzDLKCfVhcvXHgBiULYAB6D4fTwDSNQ=w1029-h1827-no

That row of players is Lamontay Daughtery (green hoodie, mostly off screen), Dylan Branson, ??? (Should be able to figure him out when I’m not mobile), Luke Kasubke, and Davion Bradford.

Not sure who’s next to Hargrove. 

I saw the three Chicago kids there - Seryee Lewis, Keshawn Williams, and Reggie Strong.

9 minutes ago, Pistol said:

That row of players is Lamontay Daughtery (green hoodie, mostly off screen), Dylan Branson, ??? (Should be able to figure him out when I’m not mobile), Luke Kasubke, and Davion Bradford.

Not sure who’s next to Hargrove. 

I saw the three Chicago kids there - Seryee Lewis, Keshawn Williams, and Reggie Strong.

And that’s s positive ID of Markese Jacobs, I can tell by his ears. Whether he’s there just to see his brother or because he’s truly interested in playing here, time will tell.

CORRECTION, I don’t think that’s him...

Edited by VeniceMenace
Mistake

1 hour ago, dlarry said:

This.

If he doesn't want to put in the work then he shouldn't do it. 

I'm not sure if he just hates doing the job or if he really is that bad at it, maybe a combination of both. 

Fire his butt. I don't care if it pisses Tucci off. The Pasta House sucks anyway.

Tied for last with Fazolis

dlarry and AGB91 like this