Billiken Mount Rushmore

billikenfan05

13 hours ago, FromDaEastSide said:

This was a post on BigSoccer.com

One Puma Cup Player who was voted the Most Valuable Player at the second St. Louis Puma Cup didn't get the chance to go on to MLS and beyond. Mark Filla was the kid's name out of Saint Louis Aquinas High School and Mark did win the MVP Award in the last PUMA Cup. Filla was extremely fast. Think Demarcus Beasley type fast and Mark was extremely powerful, think Ryan Nelson type power only stronger and bigger than Nelson. Filla was a man among boys so to speak. Mark had it all going for him on the soccer field. Mark Filla and his St Louis Scott Gallagher teammates won the Under 19 National Championship the next year beating a team led by Ben Olsen called FC Delco out of Philadelphia. Mark went on to play @ Saint Louis U were he was starring his Freshman season until a very serious facial injury suffered against Indiana U knocked him out for the rest of the season. Mark came back the next season at SLU and played well and the following off season Mark Filla was involved in a horrible train/automobile accident nearly costing him his life and definitely ending his playing career. I often wonder what might have happened with Mark Filla had that accident not occurred...”

Watched him play a coupe of times prior to the IU injury.  I remember turning to my GF and telling her Filla was going to be the American Fernando Redondo. Sublime player.

JohnnyJumpUp likes this

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/14/2018 at 9:28 PM, brianstl said:

The year before the the train he suffered really bad facial fractures in game.  I think it was against Indiana going for a head all.

Man, I totally forgot about him.  IIRC, we were ranked No. 1 in the country for that game against Indiana.

14 hours ago, slu72 said:

McCauley, Babushka (all American), Grawer (our Abe Lincoln), Majerus. Reserve one block for Travis or someone to be named later. 

Maybe if we had an actual Mt Rushmore people would learn to spell the names of the people on it. 

If Grawer is Abe Lincoln, let's be glad Pete Gillen wasn't around to lead the Confederacy.

billikenfan05 likes this

10 hours ago, Box and Won said:

Man, I totally forgot about him.  IIRC, we were ranked No. 1 in the country for that game against Indiana.

I sadly had forgotten about him until @Gremio14 brought him up.  He was outstanding. I did some googling yesterday and Filla’s high school class in St Louis was loaded.  Kalish, DiMaria, Filla and the Moriartys among other. DiMaria and Kalish both became first team All-Americans.

4 hours ago, brianstl said:

I sadly had forgotten about him until @Gremio14 brought him up.  He was outstanding. I did some googling yesterday and Filla’s high school class in St Louis was loaded.  Kalish, DiMaria, Filla and the Moriartys among other. DiMaria and Kalish both became first team All-Americans.

In the 80s and early 90s no better youth soccer was played than in North County.