billikenfan05

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, Mobile-iken said:

Anybody remember Marquee Perry?

I loved Marque. I was playing 6-8th grade school basketball when he was at SLU. He was a smaller guard and I always thought the cutoff undershirt and headband were dope so naturally I copied it and his number 5.

This prompted me to check out what he's been up to and man has he been around Europe.

Capture.PNG

I don't think he's been mentioned, so I'll throw out honorable mention for Brian Conklin

1st team all conference, best player on the first NCAA team in 12 years, the glue that held things together during 2010-11 and kept the core of that loaded freshmen class from transferring.

If not for Conklin, Majerus never gets SLU to the NCAA tournament, and that 3-year Jett/Evans/McCall/Loe run never comes to fruition, and you have to wonder if Ford, Goodwin, Gordon, et al consider SLU a big time enough program to buy into... 

mIMGA1069.jpg

33 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

I don't think he's been mentioned, so I'll throw out honorable mention for Brian Conklin

1st team all conference, best player on the first NCAA team in 12 years, the glue that held things together during 2010-11 and kept the core of that loaded freshmen class from transferring.

If not for Conklin, Majerus never gets SLU to the NCAA tournament, and that 3-year Jett/Evans/McCall/Loe run never comes to fruition, and you have to wonder if Ford, Goodwin, Gordon, et al consider SLU a big time enough program to buy into... 

mIMGA1069.jpg

-you make very good points, very good

-with your picture database and since it is Friday in the off season, how about a Mt Rushmore of cheer/dance? I remember two that went on to be Ram cheerleaders and a very cute blonde who could throw when doing the ball toss that would be in the mix

I like this. I think periodic SLU related Mt. Rushmore's would be fun. Part of me wants to do one by coach during my fandom (Spoon, Romar, Soderberg, Majerus, Ford). For me I know mine would have to include Erwin Claggett and Spoon since those guys really made me a SLU fan as a 6th grader (I think that is about right) when I admittedly had not been prior to that. I know some aren't including him because he only played one season, but I have to go Larry Hughes because of the excitement he brought during that one season and because I really saw him as a celebrity when he was at SLU like the pros in town. It is hard for me to not include guys like Marque Perry, Kevin Lisch, Highmark, and H, but I think I have to go with someone from the Majerus era and that would be Jordair Jett. I just loved watching that kid play.

36 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

A google search also gave me this 14 year old thread with so many familiar users:

A very bold statement from roy... "i have written before that i believe that last year already reggie was better than claggett ever was as a billiken."

1 hour ago, GoSluBills said:

Honorable mention for freshman and sophomore TL III.

Sophomore year TL III was sooooo good.  He shot over 45% from 3pt land (and over 48% from 2) and grabbed nearly 7 rebounds a game.  He was a little turnover prone, but man it looked like the sky was the limit for him.  Unfortunately, he never meshed with Majerus and was disappointing his junior & senior years.

55 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

I was a big Reggie Bryant guy. The team with Fisher, Ohanon and Bryant was a pretty decent one.

It was amazing that there wasn't much drop off from the year before after losing Marque Perry.  I mean you could actually argue the 03-04 accomplished more because they won an NIT game versus the 02-03 team (Perry) losing in the 1st round.  Senior year Fisher and Chris Sloan were really good players.  Junior year Bryant & Frericks were way better than then senior year counterparts.  Sophomore year might have been Drejaj's best as well.

Mitchell, Evans, Harris, Perry - Favorites

Remember Jeff's last game in the Conference USA tourney? -

" And when sturdy Saint Louis senior Jeff Harris fouled out with 15 points on an illegal pick midway through the second half - ending a superb four-year career on an entirely useless play - he was called to the Bearcats bench to be embraced by Huggins as the audience presented a standing ovation.
''It seems like we have to beat Saint Louis every year in the tournament to advance. The guy's a great coach,'' Huggins said of Spoonhour. ''Our kids have tremendous respect for Saint Louis, and certainly Jeff Harris. They do this to everyone.'' "

Shout out to Ian for getting me through some lean years and having the original 'Conklin Summer'. Also, much love to Mr. Love for 99/00 including the 4 game conference tournament wins to get us to the Dance.

1 hour ago, willie said:

Brian McBride?

Never won a NCAA National title. Neither did Vedad.

For that matter neither did Ty Keough. Even though Ty Keough was a 4 time All- American.

McBride and Ibisevic were not 4 time All- Americans.

Both Ibisevic and McBride had better pro careers than the four I mentioned.

I was just going on their exploits at SLU since it is a SLU Mount Rushmore.