Welcome Yuri Collins

crymdg2

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Brighton said:

Missouri basketball fans are pathetic. I hope they don't ever win anything of significance.

Odds are your wishes will come true. Mizzou always thinks they are better than they are. Mizzou football fans feel they are a top tier program also when the reality is they are near the bottom of the 3rd tier of teams in  general. If Mizzou football finishes ranked at all they think it's a good year when actual good teams are unhappy with finishing outside the top 5

https://www.stleagles.com/stats/team_instance/3466842?mirror_id=4132505&subseason=483962&tab=team_instance_player_stats&tool=2957276

Beagles summer 2018 stats, including Collins and Hargrove.  TGloryTDays will be disappointed, but the rest of us are pretty stoked.  Collins is listed at 5'11" on this website.

16 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

https://www.stleagles.com/stats/team_instance/3466842?mirror_id=4132505&subseason=483962&tab=team_instance_player_stats&tool=2957276

Beagles summer 2018 stats, including Collins and Hargrove.  TGloryTDays will be disappointed, but the rest of us are pretty stoked.  Collins is listed at 5'11" on this website.

Yuri played with one arm

16 hours ago, brianstl said:

Plus, Gabe was wrong about the source.  Rothstein isn’t following Yuri on Twitter. I don’t think it takes a smart person to figure out who the source was for all the SLU stories Rothstein has had this summer.

I think that has become a joke among media folks. The individual making the news tweets the news and then some media folks post that same information later referencing that it is per a source. Fairly amusing to me, breaking news...

7 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I like how low-key Collins' commitment was. No video, no hat game, not even a Tipton edit with his finalists. Just a commitment tweet with his family.

Collins said in his interview about Iowa several weeks ago that he wasn't a big name, and didn't want to make a big deal of his process. He added that he'd visit SLU and Iowa, and if he wasn't ready to commit after those, that Bradley, SMU, and DePaul were still in the picture.

Well, Toussaint's commitment to Iowa means that he didn't even take a second visit, and SLU showed him all they needed to. (FWIW, SLU offered Toussaint a long time ago, as well, and he's a tough-as-nails NYC PG with a similar old-school floor general mentality to YC.)

It's funny to see any Mizzou fuss at all about Collins. They had offered a while back but no longer appeared to be recruiting him actively. Also, to imply that SLU needed a bag man on this one is silly. Collins is a nice player but was in the 200-250 range nationally and SLU was his leader all along.

Speaking of which, the ranking doesn't jump out and that's not a big deal. He's a guy who can play four years in a very important role. He's as unselfish as they come. Pure PG. He said he has a goal of 25 assists in a game, just to give an idea of what kind of mentality he has.

It's also important to note that Hargrove said immediately he was going to work on recruiting YC, and they visited together. It's great to have this camaraderie between incoming players, guys who have bought into the program and one another. Other players love playing with a guy like Collins. He makes them look good.

Welcome aboard, Yuri!

Well said.  Way too many people hung up on ratings and rankings.  Give me a solid team 'baller and I don't give a hoot what his ranking is.

2 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Well said.  Way too many people hung up on ratings and rankings.  Give me a solid team 'baller and I don't give a hoot what his ranking is.

Exactly.

He's also a guy who isn't rewarded by rankings. His shortcomings - size, pure athleticism, shooting ability, scoring mentality - are the kinds of things that get high rankings because they're looking at long-term abilities that will make players stars in college or the pros. The things he does well are more subtle and because of his size he's viewed more as a high-floor, low-ceiling player by the scouts that compile these rankings.

Collins' ability to see the floor the way he does is pretty rare. He's one step ahead of everyone else. He's got an incredible passing ability, too. He's confident and cool, rarely showing any signs of frustration. He had a really rough Peach Jam, which was more or less his last chance to take his recruitment up a notch. But instead of getting upset he just kept playing his game.

I think the shoulder must've really been reaching the point of having to take action, because rather than participate in any other July events, he packed it in and got the surgery. He'll arrive on SLU's campus next May at 100%, and that's what matters. He did the right thing. Hopefully he can be fully healthy for the back half of the HS season, too, and help St. Mary's young roster in a transitional season.

Billikid and bauman like this

8 minutes ago, wgstl said:

-welcome Yuri, I hope you have a fantastic experience Being a Billiken

-this sounds like a very fast recovery, if he is already shooting but has three more months of no contact he plays before Christmas, just make sure to recover fully before going too hard too fast

I really like this addition and Yuri's fit on this roster. Hargrove is also a really good fit. Two kids who really fill out the roster nicely (we have our studs in Goodwin, French, and Gordon). Man I love this roster going forward, heck of a job Ford and company.

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know what St. Mary's roster looks like for Yuri's final season in high school? For those who don't follow it, Yuri was the lead guard on an absolutely stacked roster the past few seasons, but that roster included 9 seniors last season.

13 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

I really like this addition and Yuri's fit on this roster. Hargrove is also a really good fit. Two kids who really fill out the roster nicely (we have our studs in Goodwin, French, and Gordon). Man I love this roster going forward, heck of a job Ford and company.

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know what St. Mary's roster looks like for Yuri's final season in high school? For those who don't follow it, Yuri was the lead guard on an absolutely stacked roster the past few seasons, but that roster included 9 seniors last season.

Yeah, they're young. Yuri is the seasoned senior leader for a bunch of underclassmen, basically.