Valdir Manuel Leaving St Joes

RIP HUMPS

(Warning:  Word content @ 56)

I don't know this kid at all but the warning signs that surround the whole situation are many --- Seton Hall commit, decommitts, announce for the Joeys, enrolls, and now Is off to a JUCO.  This sounds a lot like the old Nick Kerns discussion in a different thread.  Lots of whistles, bells and warning signs here.

@Pistol -- once again, help me out here.  Over in the A10 thread, I noted this commitment back on July 24.  Then Rothstein drops this thread-starting news on September 4.  I can't find the quoted SJU news release, can you?  Then, over on verbal commits, Manuel is now noted as a JUCO recruit, JUCO year not noted, with a verbal commit back to St. Joe's the same date listed at Rothsteins' original note that Manuel was leaving.  Then you cite grades issues above as the reason. 

So, based on all that, my statement would be "Manuel is headed off to two years of JUCO before returning to honor his verbal commitment to St. Joe's."  Yes?  So he won't be in the Joey's maroon until Fall 2020, right?  If he make sit at all.  Seems like he'd have been better off going to a prep school for a year instead of two at a JUCO.

35 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

@Pistol -- once again, help me out here.  Over in the A10 thread, I noted this commitment back on July 24.  Then Rothstein drops this thread-starting news on September 4.  I can't find the quoted SJU news release, can you?  Then, over on verbal commits, Manuel is now noted as a JUCO recruit, JUCO year not noted, with a verbal commit back to St. Joe's the same date listed at Rothsteins' original note that Manuel was leaving.  Then you cite grades issues above as the reason. 

So, based on all that, my statement would be "Manuel is headed off to two years of JUCO before returning to honor his verbal commitment to St. Joe's."  Yes?  So he won't be in the Joey's maroon until Fall 2020, right?  If he make sit at all.  Seems like he'd have been better off going to a prep school for a year instead of two at a JUCO.

He was committed to Seton Hall, then decommitted from there and went with St. Joe's. Now he's going the JUCO route, at Harcum College (PA).

VC probably just needs to un-link him from St. Joe's.

I don't see an official release from St. Joe's. I'm not sure they would draft one for this kind of thing, but rather just give a quote to the press, which appears to be the case here. There was a guy signed with Xavier who got into some legal trouble his senior year of HS and is now not on the official roster; he'd have been a freshman. There was never an official release. They just said he won't be attending Xavier and gave no further comment. So this isn't that uncommon, to handle a sudden departure this way.