2018-19 Women’s Basketball

Shimmy’s strengths are as a fun, high energy recruiter and promoter.  Short cycle sales.  She plays checkers instead of chess when it comes to x’s and o’s, and managing.  She is more of a sensor than an intuitive person.  She is much better suited as an assistant, a recruiter at a power conference school than running her own program. She moved on first to Nebraska, her most successful post SLU stop.  She then jumped to Florida to assist a hot seat long term coach.  After that coach was fired, Shimmy landed briefly at Texas Tech, then jumped back to follow that same ex Florida coach who recently became the head coach at Clemson.  

slufanskip likes this

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, thetorch said:

She visited SLU a couple weeks ago.  We were in her top 8 list.

It was a joke. Just bringing the Bills.com traditions from the mens threads to the ladies. If they don't sign with us … we must have quit recruiting them and they're a tool

SluSignGuy likes this

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2018 at 4:59 PM, billiken bball said:

Does anyone have any thoughts as to how well the womens team will do this year.

No solid basis for any of this.  I have read a little bit on the freshman coming in, followed stats/scores and watched a few minutes of games last year online.

I think we're going to see a step back even from last year which itself was a step back from the previous two years.  All-time great Billiken Jackie Kemph is gone and so are 4 additional scorers out of the top 6.  I do think Stone brought in some good players this year, so maybe the drop off won't be huge and they finish middle of the pack in the A-10 (shrug).

Best returning player on paper is guard Jordyn Frantz.  If she doesn't lead the team in scoring, I expect freshman PG Ciaja Harbison to do so in the Kemph role.  Tara Dusharm (center) and Kerri McMahan (guard) are the other returning players who might be okay role players.  Dusharm seems like maybe a poor man's female version of Chris Heinrich and McMahan IDK maybe a worse shootingKyle Cassity or Jake Barnett.  You don't want to rely on either one much, but they could be okay bench pieces as seniors.  Other than the 3 returnees I've mentioned (all seniors), no one else has shown anything during their careers.  It is a shame that Stone wasn't able to build on her success more with recruits in the sophomore and junior classes.  However, without much PT to offer and still little historical success, I can see why it was hard.  There is another big named Amber Lindfors who was decent for Valpo before transferring to SLU.  Hopefully she is better than Dusharm or, even better, freshman Brooke Flowers is way better than both.

Bottom line, there is some hope for the future with the freshman class and a transfer from Marquette who has to sit this season, but I wouldn't expect much this season, certainly any post season play is a pipe dream.

The women's team has lost a handful of the most talented players the program has ever seen.  This is a rebuilding year to say the least.  A 6th place finish will probably be the high end of expectations.  We will probably fall from 8-10 in the league.

Top returner is Frantz.  She's a 2 or 3, best shooter and scorer on the team.  Scores at all levels.  Other players of note are Harbinson, who looked better than everyone but Frantz in the scrimmage.  She may supplant Frantz as the team leader early on.  She will have some issues scoring around the rim with her size as her shooting is still a work in progress.  The other lead guard is McMahan. She is a pure pass first point, good ballhandler but a little reckless with the ball.  Again not much of a shooter.  Jeffries and Clark look to be the other guards in the rotation.  Our strength will definitely be in the backcourt.

Up front there isn't much there.  Frantz and Rice may play some wing and a couple of the guards are good at posting up.  Wilken played a little last year at the 3 and 4 but she is a borderline rotation player.  Dusharm is basically Bryce Husak.  She's also always hurt or in foul trouble.  She has been only marginally effective for short bursts.  Lindfors looks to be by far the best big but I doubt she matches up favorably in the A10.  She's a defensive presence for sure.  Flowers is a physical specimen at 6'5 and somewhat athletic but is a work in progress along with the other frosh big Zars.  

dont know what kind of a quarterback she will be but it was very obvious imo that the harbison girl was the supreme athlete on the floor at madness night.   looks like the potential to be a female David Burns.

On 10/18/2018 at 5:22 AM, courtside said:

It will be interesting to see where Blackwell chooses because the word all along has always been Louisville. It would only mildly raise an eyebrow for me if it were anywhere else. We’ll see. Good luck to her. Have to keep recruiting. 

Mizzou. Is your eyebrow raised?

12 hours ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

Mizzou. Is your eyebrow raised?

It is a little bit.  It was 50/50 with Mizzou and Louisville.  Mizzou kept recruiting her, made up ground, and it paid off for them. She has family ties to Mizzou. High school kids change their minds all the time.  Big pick up for Mizzou. Good luck to her. She is a great player.