2018-19 Women’s Basketball

27 minutes ago, Billy Ken said:

Why would this young woman pick SLU over all other schools??? If she enjoys just playing in NITs then SLU is perfect spot. I am in minority, but Coach Stone is all sizzle no meat, imo, not saying she isn’t a nice person, just it seems like she is a broken record every year with same results. Time will tell if I’m right, but that’s just what I see. 

Did not expect a Lisa Stone hot take this early in the morning

NextYearBill likes this

38 minutes ago, Billy Ken said:

Why would this young woman pick SLU over all other schools??? If she enjoys just playing in NITs then SLU is perfect spot. I am in minority, but Coach Stone is all sizzle no meat, imo, not saying she isn’t a nice person, just it seems like she is a broken record every year with same results. Time will tell if I’m right, but that’s just what I see. 

So what? Without looking it up I’m pretty sure that the program has doubled its NIT appearances under Stone.

First off she’s from Berkeley. Secondly your question is a variation of the Chicken and the Egg. You have to get the talent to take your team to the next level and maybe  Aijha sees an opportunity to make her mark and do it in front of all the people who turned their backs on her in youth basketball.

Third, I question why any Billiken fan would come onto this board and actively suggest that a top 25 player not want to sign a letter of intent with SLU. Not only do you have a bug up your a$$ about Stone but you’re actively attempting to convince recruits that they should not come to SLU. It’s really kind of gross 

2 minutes ago, Billy Ken said:

You are drinking your own bath water. Stop it. Stone has had ample time and resources to get program into NCAA, you act like “doubling” NIT berths, which school pay for is Billiken Hall of Fame, worthy, oh wait...it is because program has been terrible historically. That’s the problem. Mediocre coach turns a horrible program into well, mediocre and fan base is so use to tripping over bar of expectations. If WBB isn’t winning big IE NCAA tournaments or bust, then it’s a huge financial drain on program, huge, huge, huge, huge. So tired of Stone being put in pedestal for 1. Doing her job, which she gets paid a lot for 2. Mediocre program after 6 years. 

Get mad all you want, but SLU amongst that list of schools, why would you come here? I hope she proves me wrong. I really do but I’m not a mindless fan and talk is cheap, she’s got two years to NCAA or else I would consider her career at SLU as ok, but need to get coach to take it to next level. 

There are coaches that have gone to NCAA regionals with national exposure, former players in professional level, again school getting national exposure SLU could not afford to pay for, doing all this with maybe 1/6 of Lisa Stones budget. Think about that, oh and terrible facilities. That’s my point, but go ahead and call me a hater because I have my own opinions that don’t line up with yours. 

All this talk about how mediocre Lisa has been and how you want a coach that can get us to the next level. She's got us involved in the recruitment of a player that can get us there and you sh!t on why they would consider coming here. You can't  have it both ways.

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

So what? Without looking it up I’m pretty sure that the program has doubled its NIT appearances under Stone.

First off she’s from Berkeley. Secondly your question is a variation of the Chicken and the Egg. You have to get the talent to take your team to the next level and maybe  Aijha sees an opportunity to make her mark and do it in front of all the people who turned their backs on her in youth basketball.

Third, I question why any Billiken fan would come onto this board and actively suggest that a top 25 player not want to sign a letter of intent with SLU. Not only do you have a bug up your a$$ about Stone but you’re actively attempting to convince recruits that they should not come to SLU. It’s really kind of gross 

Sad. Billy Ken Russian? Could just be a 400 # troll sitting in his bed.

Totally agree about negativity. I took down my earlier posts because they are not constructive. I just want whole program/university to do well and it doesn’t happen over night. Last thing I want to do is see SLU WBB not do well or land a big recruit. I can admit when I went too far and some things I’ll just keep to myself, it’ll all work itself out. Everyone have a good Sunday. 

willie likes this

I didn't know she was Ernest Blackwell's daughter.  And in the house when that tragedy occurred.  2 friends of mine were of the dozen or so officers it took to subdue him.  

Sounds like she has a good chance of wanting to stay home.  

Stone is the women's team version of Grawer.  Its a long a process to raise this program from the dead.  SLU women's basketball is still considered a joke, locally and nationally.  Women's basketball is more stable and traditional than Mens.  It is a lot harder to turn your program around.  The top class of teams in every conference almost never changes.  Stone is starting her second generation of players, I think she has learned to take the next step she has to match up better size wise and athletically.  If she makes an NCAA tournament before year ten of her tenure she has done a damn good job.

20 hours ago, thetorch said:

I didn't know she was Ernest Blackwell's daughter.  And in the house when that tragedy occurred.  2 friends of mine were of the dozen or so officers it took to subdue him.  

Sounds like she has a good chance of wanting to stay home.  

Stone is the women's team version of Grawer.  Its a long a process to raise this program from the dead.  SLU women's basketball is still considered a joke, locally and nationally.  Women's basketball is more stable and traditional than Mens.  It is a lot harder to turn your program around.  The top class of teams in every conference almost never changes.  Stone is starting her second generation of players, I think she has learned to take the next step she has to match up better size wise and athletically.  If she makes an NCAA tournament before year ten of her tenure she has done a damn good job.

Last season I went through the women's record books. I had no idea how bad the program had been. I'd encourage others to do the same for some historical perspective.

Stone has done a solid job so far. The next step for this team is an NCAA Tournament appearance. It's possible in the near future.

Blackwell would be a program changer. Here's hoping.

slufanskip likes this

Season

Record Coach
1975–76 8–6 Thad Strobach (8-6)
1976–77 6–8 John O’Brien (176-147)
1977–78 15–8
1978–79 18–7
1979–80 18–6
1980–81 15–13
1981–82 11–11
1982–83 14–14
1983–84 16–9
1984–85 16–10
1985–86 16–10
1986–87 12–16
1987–88 11–16
1988–89 8–19
1989–90 3–24 Steve Cochran (3-50)
1990–91 0–26
1991–92 2–25 Sharon Allen (17-90)
1992–93 5–21
1993–94 6–21
1994–95 4–23
1995–96 6–21 Jill Pizzotti (113-167)
1996–97 10–18
1997–98 13–14
1998–99 16–12
1999-00 11–17
2000–01 14–14
2001–02 14–15
2002–03 17–14
2003–04 8–19
2004–05 4–23
2005–06 7–20 Shimmy Gray-Miller (71-136)
2006–07 13–17
2007–08 10–20
2008–09 12–18
2009–10 11–19
2010–11 7–22
2011–12 11–20
2012–13 12–19 Lisa Stone (107-86)
2013–14 12–18
2014–15 15–16
2015–16 26–8
2016–17 25-9
2017–18

17-16

If SLU could add her to the 6'5" local freshman they have this season, that would go a long way to help the program improve.  In order to become relative in the women's basketball world stone has to start getting players ranked in the top 60, especially the top local players.  She needs taller, quicker, and more athletic players to improve the program.  I watched Blackwell last season and she is the real deal.  She scored more than 30 points against state champion Incarnate Word.    

Not big fan of Shimmy and Pizzotti but they did have to deal with the West Pine Gym & stronger conferences.

I was kind of hoping Lisa could bring SLU to the level of the baseball team. Get us in the NCAAs every few years with an early exit. That would be a start.

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

Season

Record Coach
1975–76 8–6 Thad Strobach (8-6)
1976–77 6–8 John O’Brien (176-147)
1977–78 15–8
1978–79 18–7
1979–80 18–6
1980–81 15–13
1981–82 11–11
1982–83 14–14
1983–84 16–9
1984–85 16–10
1985–86 16–10
1986–87 12–16
1987–88 11–16
1988–89 8–19
1989–90 3–24 Steve Cochran (3-50)
1990–91 0–26
1991–92 2–25 Sharon Allen (17-90)
1992–93 5–21
1993–94 6–21
1994–95 4–23
1995–96 6–21 Jill Pizzotti (113-167)
1996–97 10–18
1997–98 13–14
1998–99 16–12
1999-00 11–17
2000–01 14–14
2001–02 14–15
2002–03 17–14
2003–04 8–19
2004–05 4–23
2005–06 7–20 Shimmy Gray-Miller (71-136)
2006–07 13–17
2007–08 10–20
2008–09 12–18
2009–10 11–19
2010–11 7–22
2011–12 11–20
2012–13 12–19 Lisa Stone (107-86)
2013–14 12–18
2014–15 15–16
2015–16 26–8
2016–17 25-9
2017–18

17-16

Thanks for doing this. I was going to do it today so people could what Coach Stone inherited.

I believe she started in 12-13 though not 15-16. It took her a few years to get things turned around. To call her record mediocre is ridiculous, it's not great but there are about 350 D1 teams.

She recruited probably the 2 best players in the history of the program in Sadie and Jackie. I'd like to see then make some NCAA tourney's also but for now I'm extremely happy with where we are at 

26 minutes ago, tarheelbilliken said:

Not big fan of Shimmy and Pizzotti but they did have to deal with the West Pine Gym & stronger conferences.

I was kind of hoping Lisa could bring SLU to the level of the baseball team. Get us in the NCAAs every few years with an early exit. That would be a start.

No, getting us to the top echelon of the A10 year in and year out is a start. Next step is baseball level. Baseball had “some” NCAA history when hendo took over. 

Shimmy is a wonderful person with an incredible competitive fire but I believe she wasn’t ready to be a head coach and handle all of the personalities of the team. I recommend watching this: your boy makes a brief cameo as well. 

11 minutes ago, willie said:

When she was hired I thought Shimmy was the real deal. Said the right things,looked the part,but God was she a crappy coach. Had no idea what a rotation was. 

apparently was jeckle hyde personality as well.   could recruit like crazy and then was quite the meanie in practice.   lost a few very good players after just a year or two that couldnt stand playing for her after getting here.  

my interactions with her were always good.   she was like a dam motivational speaker when out in public.   why she would do an about face in the lockerroom was quite befuddling.  

I know many of you have heard me say before but I used to take what started with just my teams and then grew to our entire organization to a game and then we'd play a half time game. Shimmy was until the last couple of years, absolutely fantastic with the girls and as a speaker. The last couple years we bought 300+ paying customers (350 once with over I believe and 150 of those were girls aged 7-14) and they just literally screwed us. We had everything worked out in advance play a half time scrimmage then Shimmy would speak and the players would sign autographs and mingle with our girls. The 2nd to the last year they double booked the halftime game and we didn't get to play. Then the last year which caused me to say no more they told me when we were there that Shimmy couldn't speak with us. In the end she did as I was extremely pissed off to the point of telling them just refund me for the tickets and we'd just go.  She spoke for a few minutes and then passed the mike to players. It was underwhelming, she clearly wasn't interested.  However, the girls ( SLU players) were always fantastic with many of them hanging around and talking to our players for 15-20 minutes even after it was all over. I had players parents tell me they and the SLU players looked forward to us coming as we were always very loud and fun. If you know me you know I can get loud and would lead cheers and chants with our players and parents. After this I never booked one again. I don't understand why this would be so poorly run. Literally you make well over a grand (which I realize isn't a fortune but we double the attendance or more sometimes) and have the chance to create new young fans. 

I remember one year in West Pine we were sitting over the Bills bench and I had to move all the girls due to Shimmy's language and behavior. She could be very crude and demonstrative on the sidelines lol. 

We now usually attend a Maryville game and Coach Ellis is fantastic and the event isn't nearly as well attended maybe 30-50 players and 100 people over all. They take us in the locker room, invites our older girls to a practice  and runs them through drills with their players. A couple of times there have been guys games after the girls game and the Maryville girls come sit in the stands with our girls and talk to them for at least a half. It's a fantastic experience. 

JMM28 likes this

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

I know many of you have heard me say before but I used to take what started with just my teams and then grew to our entire organization to a game and then we'd play a half time game. Shimmy was until the last couple of years, absolutely fantastic with the girls and as a speaker. The last couple years we bought 300+ paying customers (350 once with over I believe and 150 of those were girls aged 7-14) and they just literally screwed us. We had everything worked out in advance play a half time scrimmage then Shimmy would speak and the players would sign autographs and mingle with our girls. The 2nd to the last year they double booked the halftime game and we didn't get to play. Then the last year which caused me to say no more they told me when we were there that Shimmy couldn't speak with us. In the end she did as I was extremely pissed off to the point of telling them just refund me for the tickets and we'd just go.  She spoke for a few minutes and then passed the mike to players. It was underwhelming, she clearly wasn't interested.  However, the girls ( SLU players) were always fantastic with many of them hanging around and talking to our players for 15-20 minutes even after it was all over. I had players parents tell me they and the SLU players looked forward to us coming as we were always very loud and fun. If you know me you know I can get loud and would lead cheers and chants with our players and parents. After this I never booked one again. I don't understand why this would be so poorly run. Literally you make well over a grand (which I realize isn't a fortune but we double the attendance or more sometimes) and have the chance to create new young fans. 

I remember one year in West Pine we were sitting over the Bills bench and I had to move all the girls due to Shimmy's language and behavior. She could be very crude and demonstrative on the sidelines lol. 

We now usually attend a Maryville game and Coach Ellis is fantastic and the event isn't nearly as well attended maybe 30-50 players and 100 people over all. They take us in the locker room, invites our older girls to a practice  and runs them through drills with their players. A couple of times there have been guys games after the girls game and the Maryville girls come sit in the stands with our girls and talk to them for at least a half. It's a fantastic experience. 

-a missed opportunity, too bad for SLU

-have you considered trying again with Coach Stone?

5 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

apparently was jeckle hyde personality as well.   could recruit like crazy and then was quite the meanie in practice.   lost a few very good players after just a year or two that couldnt stand playing for her after getting here.  

my interactions with her were always good.   she was like a dam motivational speaker when out in public.   why she would do an about face in the lockerroom was quite befuddling.  

They said the same thing about Matheny - my point is if you do not feel confident about yourself on the job then you can find yourself treating people a lot differently then your persona.