Your degree is from an unranked university...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

It looks like there will be NO homecoming soccer game. Neither the men nor women are playing at home this weekend. I always felt like the soccer game was a unique aspect of our homecoming weekend. I don’t get it.

The men and the women have a double header at Herman tomorrow.  Homecoming starts Friday September 27.  No men’s home game that weekend.  There will be a women’s soccer game and a volleyball game that weekend.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bills_06 said:

SLU comes in at 106 in the WSJ/Times Higher Education Rankings.  For reference, Wash U came in at 18, Mizzou at 414.  

giphy.gif

That list includes small liberal arts colleges like Williams, Amherst, etc., so our ranking is not too bad.

24 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Williams and Amherst are absolutely first tier schools, if they are including small but excellent schools in this list it is great to make 106!

I've never understood why someone would want to spend $300,000 for a creative writing degree from Wiliams but then again, most of the kids matriculating to Williams didn't have to worry about money in the first place.

3 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I've never understood why someone would want to spend $300,000 for a creative writing degree from Wiliams but then again, most of the kids matriculating to Williams didn't have to worry about money in the first place.

Why would anyone spend even $100 for an Arts degree that likely leads to nothing more that a long hours low paying job at the mall.   It constantly amazes me (that said I am the example of the guy with such a degree that never worked a day in his degree field and has battled that life mistake thereafter).  

There are guidance counselors and college advisors that likely should be in jail.  (My bitterness showing?)

12 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Why would anyone spend even $100 for an Arts degree that likely leads to nothing more that a long hours low paying job at the mall.   It constantly amazes me (that said I am the example of the guy with such a degree that never worked a day in his degree field and has battled that life mistake thereafter).  

There are guidance counselors and college advisors that likely should be in jail.  (My bitterness showing?)

The world needs artists too, Roy.  😊

This is from Wikipedia and shows where graduates from Williams have wound up in the course of their lives:

"The college has produced many prominent alumni, including 8 Pulitzer Prize winners, a Nobel Prize Laureate, a Fields medalist, 3 chairmen of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, 10 billionaire alumni, 71 members of the United States Congress, 22 U.S. Governors, 4 U.S. Cabinet secretaries, an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, a President of the United States, 3 prime ministers, CEOs and founders of Fortune 500companies, high-ranking U.S. diplomats, foreign central bankers, scholars in academia, literary and media figures, numerous Emmy, Oscar, and Grammy award winners, and professional athletes. Other notable alumni include 35 Rhodes Scholars,[12] 17 Marshall Scholarship winners,[13] and numerous Watson Fellows and Fulbright scholarship recipients."

These kids do not starve unless they choose to do so. If there is a college in the US where power and privilege is a way of life this is it. This place has been ranked #1 among liberal arts colleges for many consecutive years. The value of the contacts that can be made in such a place exceeds Harvard's and Yale's. Please note the number of alumni at high ranking government, law, financial, and corporate levels. It is really amazing what can be done with a liberal arts degree from this place, plus piles of money and contacts. 

GBL_Bills likes this

14 minutes ago, Old guy said:

This is from Wikipedia and shows where graduates from Williams have wound up in the course of their lives:

"The college has produced many prominent alumni, including 8 Pulitzer Prize winners, a Nobel Prize Laureate, a Fields medalist, 3 chairmen of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, 10 billionaire alumni, 71 members of the United States Congress, 22 U.S. Governors, 4 U.S. Cabinet secretaries, an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, a President of the United States, 3 prime ministers, CEOs and founders of Fortune 500companies, high-ranking U.S. diplomats, foreign central bankers, scholars in academia, literary and media figures, numerous Emmy, Oscar, and Grammy award winners, and professional athletes. Other notable alumni include 35 Rhodes Scholars,[12] 17 Marshall Scholarship winners,[13] and numerous Watson Fellows and Fulbright scholarship recipients."

These kids do not starve unless they choose to do so. If there is a college in the US where power and privilege is a way of life this is it. This place has been ranked #1 among liberal arts colleges for many consecutive years. The value of the contacts that can be made in such a place exceeds Harvard's and Yale's. Please note the number of alumni at high ranking government, law, financial, and corporate levels. It is really amazing what can be done with a liberal arts degree from this place, plus piles of money and contacts. 

0 members who got laid 

SLU has issues all around.  The engineering department has the Ignite Program for incoming freshman.   The students travel to Madrid first semester and visit European engineering firms.   Students go to SLU 101 together and you must get your Student Visa at one of the few Spanish consulates.   Sounds great,  very enticing to an 18 year old.   Only problem they only got 3 participants so it was canceled and notified students after deposits were due at other schools and plane tickets purchased to Spanish consulate appointments were already made. 

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 7:49 AM, disgruntledbilliken said:

Good news: We are no longer "unranked" by U.S News and World Report.

Bad news: we dropped to #106 in the rankings. https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities

Loyola Chicago leaped over us and is now tied at #89 with Marquette. 

This are brand new rankings, published today.

is there any historical information on how our rankings have changed over the years. I remember when we were in the 60s.

This goes back only to 2008, in two chunks, 2008-2015 and 2012-2019. Sorry for the rough formatting.

Avg Rank

Chg 08 vs 15

St. Louis

http://publicuniversityhonors.com/2016/09/18/average-u-s-news-rankings-for-126-universities-2010-1017/