Men's Soccer 2018

I just don't understand how playing the ball on the ground into space is LESS effective the dribbling into a triple team on a bad field. I may not have ever played college soccer, but I played enough to understand how hard it is too keep the ball at your feet in tight spaces on a torn up field. I'm excited for Kalish too. The play has been much improved and I think he will do well with his connections to Gallagher, but I'm not going to sugarcoat and make excuses for a loss in the postseason in a game we should've win. 

1 minute ago, Zink said:

On a bad field, passing along the ground doesn’t work. Instead you take advantage of slips and poor footing by being as direct as possible, both with long balls through the air and by attempting more dribbles. The poor footing affects defenders more due to the fact that they have to react, whereas the offensive player presumably knows where s/he is going. 

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, PinkMaleBillikensJersey said:

I just don't understand how playing the ball on the ground into space is LESS effective the dribbling into a triple team on a bad field. I may not have ever played college soccer, but I played enough to understand how hard it is too keep the ball at your feet in tight spaces on a torn up field. I'm excited for Kalish too. The play has been much improved and I think he will do well with his connections to Gallagher, but I'm not going to sugarcoat and make excuses for a loss in the postseason in a game we should've win. 

A pass on the ground when the field is unpredictable puts the offensive player receiving the ball on equal footing with the defender - guessing where the ball will go next. Throughballs can still work but you’re going to struggle to maintain possession on a sloppy surface it you’re trying to pass around the defense. 

For the most part the Bills did everything right until they arrived at Mason 18.  Outshot Mason 14-5, Corners 10 - 2.  Dominating stats.  Rhode Island will now waltz through the A10 (unless their best player gets red carded at the 30 minute mark like he did against Mason...)

2 minutes ago, Gremio14 said:

For the most part the Bills did everything right until they arrived at Mason 18.  Outshot Mason 14-5, Corners 10 - 2.  Dominating stats.  Rhode Island will now waltz through the A10 (unless their best player gets red carded at the 30 minute mark like he did against Mason...)

I’m so much more angry at the George Mason announce team. Really made for an annoying 2 hours.

20 minutes ago, PinkMaleBillikensJersey said:

You also struggle to maintain possession when you can't control the ball at your feet, especially in tight spaces. Keep the ball moving. But that's really irrelevant. If we finish, we win the game. That's all there is to it.

It’s wayyyy easier to control the ball at your feet on the dribble in poor conditions vs sending and receiving accurate passes along the ground. Still not ideal, but the fall off isn’t as dramatic. Need to move the ball around regardless of conditions. Just more long switches and crosses on a poor field vs short passes. 

I agree. I have no problem dribbling into space to try and create off of it. But the subject came up as a reference to me asking about us almost what looked like intentionally dribbling into triple teams in the attacking third, where its almost impossible to control the ball in those tight of spaces in those conditions. That's all I was saying. Not trying to be a troll, but it happened a few times at the end regulation.