Men's Soccer 2018

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dipsy was insane that year.  Master of being in the right spot at the right time.....kinda Muller-like from the '70s Germany national team.  We had Jewsbury and Davis on that team as well.    Talk about fire-power that year.

For those that care, you should look up "Match of the Day" series on youtube.  It goes year by year showing League One/Premiership games through each decade.  Here are a couple links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBuIs-_u8h4&list=PLjxOedZ0ROhukzK3WEkErxOAUPgKFzKZe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SA_fF1DDCk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drmpAYIxcRw

Watching the 70s, 80s, and 90s series is pretty good but will take time.

• 2 weeks later...

SLU played #11 Denver tonight in a true road test. After falling behind 1-0, SLU tied it at 1-1 less than 30 seconds later but fell 2-1 late. Disappointing? Yes. A win would’ve been a statement win. A draw would’ve given SLU a record 7th tie. Not a terrible result against a great team on the road; but provides no help. Need to win the tourney at home. Nothing else matters or will get us into the tournament.

7 hours ago, philliken said:

SLU played #11 Denver tonight in a true road test. After falling behind 1-0, SLU tied it at 1-1 less than 30 seconds later but fell 2-1 late. Disappointing? Yes. A win would’ve been a statement win. A draw would’ve given SLU a record 7th tie. Not a terrible result against a great team on the road; but provides no help. Need to win the tourney at home. Nothing else matters or will get us into the tournament.

SH!T I forgot this was happening.

1 hour ago, Gremio14 said:

I missed it as well.  Stats appear to indicate SLU held their own against a crack team at altitude.  My gut tells me Bills are going to go a bit deeper into the post season than one might think.

I really want to believe that. If we had a shot at an at-large, id be optimistic. But I don’t like our odds to win the conf tourney. Too many games for everything to go right, even for top seeds. Now if we win the conf tournament, I would think we can hang with almost anyone. Inevitably I think we’ll lose early simply because our offense isn’t putting enough tallys on the board.

16 hours ago, Gremio14 said:

I missed it as well.  Stats appear to indicate SLU held their own against a crack team at altitude.  My gut tells me Bills are going to go a bit deeper into the post season than one might think.

Same here.  Good to see we held our own against such a good team.  Klein is having a great year.  Our offense did dry up a bit in the last three games with one goal in total. 

In terms of the lack of finishing, 10% of our total shots have come from Matteo Kidd.  Shots-on-goal is good but his ability to put it in the back of the net has been atrocious.  

image.png.75098bf284c77ca19714b0cdee83d6f8.png

image.png.2f5b9c49d11f1be2bf9fb45343192f08.png

He also has zero assists which boggles my mind given he plays in central midfield.

Our defense has let in too many goals this year from spot kicks.  The same happened at Denver.  I have updated the goals against tally below:

Opponents goals:

Notre Dame: Freekick

Memphis:  2 quick counters

Marquette:  Freekick

SMU:  Freekick

Tulsa:  No goal given up

Central Ark:  Penalty kick

SIUE:  Corner kick

Dayton:  Crossed to a shot; Rebound shot

Rhode Island:  2 turnover/transition goals; one freekick (header)

LaSalle:  one shot; one corner kick

Bonnies:  PK

VCU:  No goals

Duquesne:  No goals

Denver:  PK and free kick

Opponents have scored 10 goals off spot kicks.  7 in the run of play.  

Gremio14 likes this

19 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

What a joke of a “goal” by SJU to win that game. Clearly fouled steibel before the goal. Refs confer, SJU broadcast signs off.

So far, the A-10 site shows 3-3 at the end of the 2nd overtime

Can someone explain how the A10 tournament seedings are done? They're obviously not in line with the standings on the A10 site which have SLU as 5th. 

http://www.atlantic10.com/standings/Standings.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=31600&SPID=136213

Of course, putting a winning percentage on any sport that has ties doesn't make much sense to begin with and that's how the teams seem to be ranked. :-)

1 hour ago, number2shirt said:

Can someone explain how the A10 tournament seedings are done? They're obviously not in line with the standings on the A10 site which have SLU as 5th. 

http://www.atlantic10.com/standings/Standings.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=31600&SPID=136213

Of course, putting a winning percentage on any sport that has ties doesn't make much sense to begin with and that's how the teams seem to be ranked. 🙂

If you take a closer look, SLU tied in points with multiple other teams, and SLU’s seed was 6th based on a multi-team tie breaker. If you take a look at George Mason for example, they tied in points with Rhode Island. However, the first tie breaker is head to to head and George Mason defeated Rhose Island 2-0 the other day to claim the 3rd seed instead of 4th. 

I can tell you from the basketball side of experience that A10 ties are usually first broken in head-to-head results if two teams are tied.  That is explained above by courtside.  In the event of a three-way tie, or four-way tie, they do a comparison of each team and results against the upper teams.  If three teams tie for ninth, for example, and one of those teams beat #1 in an upset wheel the other two did not, that team would claim the ninth spot with the head-to-head then coming back into play for the two remaining tied teams.  If there is no winner there, they go back to the top and see who beat the highest rated team above them and that team would get tenth with the last one getting 11.  They can also use combined records against each other (kind of like a sub-A10) and do it that way if needed.  Finally, there is the almighty coin flip. 

So ... it depends.