Men's Soccer 2018

skip ---- I thought I stayed on topic and gave it all I had.  

troll/bad post(ers) --- glad I could stir such emotion.  You know where I stand.  Resurrecting ghosts from the past will not happen.  Same goes for UCLA dominance in basketball.  Army dominance in football.  Yankee dominance in baseball.  The A10 sucks in soccer --- and we don't dominate there.  Cie la vie.  Just my opinion.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Taj79 said:

skip ---- I thought I stayed on topic and gave it all I had.  

troll/bad post(ers) --- glad I could stir such emotion.  You know where I stand.  Resurrecting ghosts from the past will not happen.  Same goes for UCLA dominance in basketball.  Army dominance in football.  Yankee dominance in baseball.  The A10 sucks in soccer --- and we don't dominate there.  Cie la vie.  Just my opinion.

We get it you don't like soccer. So why bother come on the soccer thread? What separates your posts on the soccer thread and the Tilowski or whatever the f;;k his name was posts from yours? The answer is nothing. 

As bad as SLU soccer has been the past 30 years it's still better than SLU basketball has been. So I'm wondering how you can be a fan of such a team and spend time posting on a message board about them? No one is saying SLU soccer today = SLU soccer of the past. However, we're still fans and we'd just prefer that people that don't like soccer don't troll the thread which is btw what you were doing. Just as SLU basketball fans don't want people that hate SLU basketball trolling those threads. 

Lastly, I would have just assumed you have better things to do with your time

8 hours ago, slufanskip said:

As bad as SLU soccer has been the past 30 years it's still better than SLU basketball has been. 

skip, i am not going to bother to look this up, but i i find this hard to believe as it seems soccer hasnt been good for quite awhile.   

3 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

skip, i am not going to bother to look this up, but i i find this hard to believe as it seems soccer hasnt been good for quite awhile.   

Good is relative. I'm not looking it up either but I'd bet they have 20 + NCAA tourneys in the last 30 years

QUAILMAN likes this

Going by wikipedia, since and including 1988 SLU soccer has 21 NCAA tournament appearances, 9 round of 16 appearances, 4 quarterfinal appearances, and 2 college cup appearances, last one being in 1997.  They have 13 regular season conference championships and 11 conference tournament championships.  

Basketball has 7 NCAA appearances with the furthest being round of 32 5 times.  Two conferences tournament wins and 2 regular season conference championships.  

slufanskip likes this

Even if you take the last 10 years 4 tourneys for SLU soccer w/ one 1st and 3 2nd rd exits. Is this a big drop off … absolutely. However that goes to show how good we've been. Even though the last 30 years weren't as good as the preceding thirty years they were still pretty damn good.  Lets hope both programs have found their coaches and become regular NCAA tourney participants with some good deep runs. 

2 minutes ago, courtside said:

When SLU won the first D-1 Men’s NCAA Title in soccer in 1959, it was an EIGHT team tourney. 

For some perspective, today, by comparison, there a total of 206 Division 1 men’s college soccer programs.

Good crowd, (4,900) good effort last Friday. Several alums in attendance. 

?? Missing something here. It seems you are saying there were 8 D-1 teams in '59. Need to include how many teams currently in current tourney and how many D-1 teams there were in all of the sport in '59.

6 minutes ago, almaman said:

206 D-1 teams now is proof of the sport's growing popularity. Do you know how many D-1 teams there were in "59?

I don’t know the exact number.  I can ask Bill McDermott. He would possibly know.  Teams now travel all over the country to play three times as many games. There were good teams back then in several different regions.  But the quantity of good teams and good players, depth if you will does not compare to today.

As mentioned above, SLU had some “good” teams in relative recent memory. A few Final Fours and several close calls in others.  But it’s been a while.  Getting back to that is a fair long term goal.  Asking SLU to be what it was from 1959 to 1973 is unrealistic.  And that’s ok.  We’ll give Kevin a chance to see what he can do vs the resources.  He will certainly win the initial popular vote with most local youth players, coaches, and parents.  He was a high level former SLU/UConn player.  He would have potential be at SLU long term, and not leave for another progam.  

43 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

SLU ‘s record in 1959 was 11-1-0. 

43 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

SLU ‘s record in 1959 was 11-1-0. 

In those days teams mostly played a local/regional/close geographic proximity schedule.  They wouldn’t see many far away teams until the tourney.  Today teams play 2-3 times the amount of games, have much bigger budgets etc...

17 hours ago, almaman said:

The A-10 tournament is here!? 

I need an excuse to watch, this could be it.  I've been saying I want to start watching SLU since I love soccer, but never end up doing anything about it.

23 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Tilkowsky = Banks @SluSignGuy

I outed Banks as Tilky two days after he signed up in July.  Likely that is why TrollBanks has awarded me 91 Troll Reactions as of this morning.  Look out '05, you may be next on his list.

Banks, 10 posts and 91 Troll Reactions (to me alone).  That's the mark of a valuable poster if you ask me.

1 minute ago, HoosierPal said:

I outed Banks as Tilky two days after he signed up in July.  Likely that is why TrollBanks has awarded me 91 Troll Reactions as of this morning.  Look out '05, you may be next on his list.

Banks, 10 posts and 91 Troll Reactions (to me alone).  That's the mark of a valuable poster if you ask me.

Well you deserved number 91.