Men's Soccer 2018

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no concrete news. Just seems good to even have news again as the new coach has been bringing in some recruits. Does anyone have a subscription to Topdrawersoccer.com? They posted an article on first year head coaches to watch this year and I was curious is SLU made the list. 

Whoever is running the Bills social media is doing a good job, retweeting recruits, posting video interviews from the coaches.

Also, SLU's soccer kits are cleeean this year. Back to the classic white tops and royal blue shorts. The tops have a collar and they look great. I know its beating a dead horse to bemoan not being able to by one, but its still worth saying. 

MSOC Preview: Billikens at Kentucky

Joe Clarke will make a brief return when he brings his Washington University squad over for an exhibition on Sunday.  This got me thinking: where did the Billikens play before they played out at the Soccer Park?

From 1975 to 1979, the Bills never played on campus to my recollection.  I thought Musial Field was the intramural field between the underground lecture halls on the west and 210 Channing/Laclede town on the east.  We played intramurals there but no intercollegiate soccer games went on.  The space is present-day Hermann.  The annual "big one" the Bronze Boot between us and SIU-E was always at Busch Stadium and I recall going to what few home games I did at Wash U.'s Francis Field.  Hermann only opened 20 years after I graduated in 1999.  The St. Louis Soccer park opened in 1982 and recall SLU games being played "way out thar" in Fenton.  My ongoing "love" of soccer should explain why I never saw a single game out there .. ever.  And I know skip loves me for this!

So I'd go Francis Field 1975 - 1982 or 1983, then the Soccer Park 1983 - 1999, then Hermann.  Did we play somewhere else when the turf was ripped out?  I can say I've seen one game at Hermann. 

Back in the the 50's and 60's they played at Fairground Park with a few games at public school stadium.  From 65 until 74 they played at Musial.  From 74-77 they played at Wash U's Francis Field.  They then moved to Lindenwood for a season.  They went back to Francis Field in 79.  In 82 they played at Francis Field, Musial and Lindenwood. In either 83 or 84 they moved to Soccer Park.  After the start of the 1990 season they moved to the Billiken Sports Complex.  That is the site that would become Hermann.  In 95 they moved back to Soccer Park.

I was at SLU from 70-75, all I remember is Musial Field. 3 National Championships.

The grass was sparse to nonexistent to say the least. SLU had a club football team back then and they played on the same field. Also recall playing intramural football on the field.

Saw most of the Lipscomb game.  Observations:

• Looked like a 4-3-3 formation with defensive mid dropping in between CBs when Bills had possession; this allowed center back to spread wide and the wing backs to get up the line.
  • Kalish is expecting the team to press immediately after losing the ball especially in the offensive third.  He yelled that more than anything in my opinion.
  • Kids that stood out:  Matteo Kidd (very active), Krupp (it had to be his dad yelling, "Get him the ball" over and over again from the stands), John Klein (small freshman but made impact in second half driving at Lipscomb's backline), Devin Boyce (talented, hard worker, reminds me a bit of Roach), Hein (typical effort for the German.

Hard to get a feeling for the overall level of the team when they play a team like Lipscomb.  Can't say they really forced the goalie into making any difficult saves.  

HoosierPal, Zink and Billikid like this

1 minute ago, SLUBALLS said:

Saw most of the Lipscomb game.  Observations:

• Looked like a 4-3-3 formation with defensive mid dropping in between CBs when Bills had possession; this allowed center back to spread wide and the wing backs to get up the line.
  • Kalish is expecting the team to press immediately after losing the ball especially in the offensive third.  He yelled that more than anything in my opinion.
  • Kids that stood out:  Matteo Kidd (very active), Krupp (it had to be his dad yelling, "Get him the ball" over and over again from the stands), John Klein (small freshman but made impact in second half driving at Lipscomb's backline), Devin Boyce (talented, hard worker, reminds me a bit of Roach), Hein (typical effort for the German.

Hard to get a feeling for the overall level of the team when they play a team like Lipscomb.  Can't say they really forced the goalie into making any difficult saves.  

Who was in goal?

6 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Wash U had no chance. The least athletically gifted team I've ever watched.

The difference between high level Division I and mid-level Division III is night and day.

Just looked the calendar, so looking forward to that SMU game.