PGA Pros loving St.Louis

slu72

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When walking out of the PGA, they had banners hanging up with names and photos of the upcoming PGA championship locations. Looks like it's already been given out until 2029. So it's going to be a while, no matter what.

2 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

The PGA basically said they aren’t going back to bellerive. They didn’t like how easy the course played. They wanted the champion to be around -3 not -16

You’re just making stuff up. When was the last time any pga champ was at -3?? Not once in last 20 years 

dumbest post in a while 

Littlebill likes this

Not coming back to Bellrieve is mostly to do with time of year.   The PGA is moving to the spring in mid/early May.  The Zoysia fairways would still be brown in early May.   Length of the course is the other issue, however, did they like the turnout, did they like the crowd support, you betcha.  

Getting a major championship in St. Louis is a once every 20-30 year proposition no matter what.  What St. Louis wants is a regular tour stop.  I think we made a strong play for just that.

dlarry likes this

2 hours ago, kshoe said:

When walking out of the PGA, they had banners hanging up with names and photos of the upcoming PGA championship locations. Looks like it's already been given out until 2029. So it's going to be a while, no matter what.

Kshoe, years 2025 and 2026 are currently open. Not saying they’re coming back then or ever. But if they were so inclined, it’s possible and there’s plenty of time. (The 2018 Bellerive announcement was made in 2014.)

As to Basketbill’s concern about new May timing, not sure a concern. They’ll be playing as far north as Rochester, NY, as well as in other NY and NJ towns. I didn’t check whether they’re all zoysia courses, but I suspect Bellerive would figure it out.

12 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

That was the rumor around the course Saturday. I don’t make sh!t up. 

There's a big difference between the PGA basically said (which makes it sound like they said it but just in different words) and that was the rumor around the course Saturday

The course is boring and was not overly difficult but it produced a star filled leaderboard with great shots on the weekend. Tiger's run made it a historic atmosphere. I was at 18 all day Sunday at it was one of the greatest sporting events I've ever been to. Strangers were high fiving and hugging each other after every Tiger shot shown on the big-screen. Koepka was getting boos and groans after every shot he hit. The fans were great and I think St Louis will get another PGA within the next 20 years.

5 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

You know for what year? I think they've got the American spots locked up for the next 18 years or so...

not sure on year, and as brian said its booked for a longggg time.  But the guy who told me is pretty involved with all things in stl sports world.

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

The next available Ryder Cup to be played in the US is 2036.

Won't have to worry about shuttling in from Fenton in 2036. We'll all just land our jetpacks in the designated jetpack storage area inside  Bellerive.

55 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Won't have to worry about shuttling in from Fenton in 2036. We'll all just land our jetpacks in the designated jetpack storage area inside  Bellerive.

And hopefully the old Fenton Chrysler plant won't still be a just bunch of cracked up vacant lots by then too....

53 minutes ago, willie said:

Great spot for a football stadium. 

That spot would be great for a whole list of things but I also I think it's time for those still holding out hope of the NFL in STL to move on (not directing this at you Willie). NFL isn't coming back any time soon and even if it did, it seems to be a sport trending downward (viewership and attendance are declining, CTE/health issues, decline in youth participation, etc.). Haven't watched since the NFL stabbed STL in the back and don't miss it one bit! It's fun having my Sundays back.

I'll take STL on a short list of cities that rotates for a PGA event every year over the NFL

The greens were slow not only b/c of the rain but also because of the prior brutal 3 months of near 100 degree heat.  The stress and toll of the unusually hot Spring AND hot Summer caused the bent grass greens to be in a weaker condition than anticipated.   Kudos to the Bellerive grounds crews for having both the greens and the course looking much better than my yard -- which actually looked good before the oppressive heat -- but does not look good now.  

Throw a huge amount of water onto these heat stressed greens/course on Tuesday and -- no wonder.  Also, keep in mind that most of the negative comments were from Wednesday and Thursday.  I had heard the greens were improving on Thursday evening, were rolled out again and improved for Friday and would have been better/faster for Saturday/Sunday but for the 1/4 inch of rain again dumped on the course on Friday.  One of the guys who complained about the greens on Wednesday was Tiger Woods -- but I sure didn't hear him complain on Sunday as he apparently figured them out in shooting a 64 which included the birdie putt on #18.

Special thank you to the both the leaders and general membership of Bellerive who reversed course (conventional wisdom had said Bellerive would never again host PGA/Major Event but would only host the women/Seniors after 1992) and instead overhauled their course after 2005, brought the son of Robert Trent Jones in to redesign, rebuilt all 18 greens and made the course relevant to today's standards.   Other than the greens and one other ass clown's comment that Bellerive was just not good enough for the PGA's Centennial Event (good enough for the 99th or the 101st PGA Championship), I heard no negative comments about the course being boring, too short, unfair, too many trees, too tight, no landing areas, etc.  And the to me, the star studded leader board is proof that Bellerive did something right.  Great job and thank you!!

55 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

I am not a hardcore golf guy, but I think most would much rather watch a golf course like Bellerive playing too easy than the clown show that occurred in June.

Not me. I enjoy the US Open. Watching these guys struggle makes me feel better about my golf game. Watching them hit 220 yard 7 irons to 10 feet is hard to identify with. I really think they need to change their equipment.The ball. 

2 hours ago, willie said:

Not me. I enjoy the US Open. Watching these guys struggle makes me feel better about my golf game. Watching them hit 220 yard 7 irons to 10 feet is hard to identify with. I really think they need to change their equipment.The ball. 

Were the courses basically the same 30, 40, 50, 60 years ago? If so it seems like the scores would be even better with the equipment improvements. Look at drivers compares with those used 50 years ago. 

16 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Were the courses basically the same 30, 40, 50, 60 years ago? If so it seems like the scores would be even better with the equipment improvements. Look at drivers compares with those used 50 years ago. 

Not all that many year ago, a 240 yard drive was good. Nicklaus revolutionized the game with his strength and distance.  Then Tiger did the same. Now 336 yard drives over the sand traps by Koeptke!  Yes the equipment needs to be re-examined

The PGA is known to examine equipment and make rules that eliminate the use of certain improvements that would produce significant advantage. For example in Hogan's time (I am really not that old), there were no drivers. To tee off  the pros used #1 and #2 irons, try and find one nowadays. The shafts were wood, and the balls were made with gutapercha (perhaps this was even earlier on than Hogan) and then the modern balls were developed with their rubber/plastic layers, dimpling, and surface compounds. Some types of balls are not legal for competition nowadays but you can use them for daily play. When drivers were developed they were made out of wood, later on they were made out of metal. The size of the driver heads, small initially, grew up until the PGA placed a limit at 460 cc, they still make larger driver heads but they are not legal for competition. The MOI (Moment of Inertia, measures resistance to twisting of the club when hitting out of center) of clubs was refined until the PGA put a limit to this improvement. The grooves on the wedges progressed a lot, increasing the levels of backspin possible, until some kind of fancy grooves were barred from competition. And so  on and so forth. The drivers used by Tiger and by Koepke are not what you  can buy in a store, they are specially made for them and painstakingly tuned during manufacturing to suit the pro. When you see the add saying XXX won using a Titleist (or any other brand) driver, this is not what you are going to buy in the store. For that matter if you managed to buy an old driver used by Tiger in competition, you would never ever would be able to swing it like he does. This custom crafting and tuning applies to putters or any other clubs professionals use. Finally, during the championship Adam Scott was using a putter with the long shaft that rests against your chest. I believe the PGA is considering banning those from competition. 

The process as far as the PGA appears to be concerned is to allow some degree of innovation and improvement of the equipment but not so much that an unfair advantage is gained by some players, or to the level that golf courses will have to be redesigned for competition. How about reaching a 1000 yd. par 4 for competitive play?

Billiken Rich likes this