Recruiting - 2022

Pistol

9 minutes ago, Billiken4life5 said:

Turnbull has had one of the biggest single season improvements in recent years in Stl.  Averaged 4 pts per game last year as a 6"4 kid.  Grows 6 inches and starts dunking everything.  He is a good athlete with good lateral movement for his size.  Think he can handle it some and has shot the 3 better this year (37%).  I'd prefer him over his teammate Lee.  Not sure who I'd take between him and the DeSmet big who is also having a nice season (though didn't play in their sectional win this week). 

Are you talking about Gassama at DeSmet? Still uncommitted but he's a 2021 recruit and Turnbull is 2022.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Are you talking about Gassama at DeSmet? Still uncommitted but he's a 2021 recruit and Turnbull is 2022.

Yeah Gassama, I was impressed with his improvement this year. 9-16 from 3 and over 70% from the FT line.  9 rebounds a game, plays hard and physical.  Especially when you consider DeSmet hasn't played a ton of games so been hard to find a rhythm.  Big time rematch on Friday against Cardinal Ritter that will probably turn out to be the Class 5 State Championship

I forgot Turnbull was 2022 though, was thinking he was a senior.  Especially offer him now with that in mind. 

21 minutes ago, Billiken4life5 said:

Yeah Gassama, I was impressed with his improvement this year. 9-16 from 3 and over 70% from the FT line.  9 rebounds a game, plays hard and physical.  Especially when you consider DeSmet hasn't played a ton of games so been hard to find a rhythm.  Big time rematch on Friday against Cardinal Ritter that will probably turn out to be the Class 5 State Championship

I forgot Turnbull was 2022 though, was thinking he was a senior.  Especially offer him now with that in mind. 

Gassama didn't play in DeSmet's Sectional win. He had 12 pts 6 blks in District Title game.

18 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

DePaul canned Leitao today, so you can cross the Demons off the list.

I remember when Brad was recruiting Jeff Peterson.  Iowa fired their coach, and I figured we were a lock. 

And then he committed to Iowa despite the fact that they didn't have a coach. Such a Brad moment.

7 hours ago, crymdg2 said:

Pretty remarkable how quiet things are for Holiman. Any crystal ball predictions @Pistol?

I actually felt good about this one until he said he'd be announcing on local news. Also didn't like the Ole Miss offer at the 11th hour. But he and his dad started following Midtown Madness Podcast on Twitter and retweeting and liking our posts, so I thought we might have a shot.

Blair Oaks' guards where overwhelmed by Vashon's pressure in today's Class 4 Final Four game, as expected.  But 6'9 Luke Northweather showed he was what I thought I was: a legit mid-major recruit.  He scored 21 points on 8-12 shooting, with 10 rebounds, 3 blocks and 3 steals.  The Valley will be all over this guy.

6 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Blair Oaks' guards where overwhelmed by Vashon's pressure in today's Class 4 Final Four game, as expected.  But 6'9 Luke Northweather showed he was what I thought I was: a legit mid-major recruit.  He scored 21 points on 8-12 shooting, with 10 rebounds, 3 blocks and 3 steals.  The Valley will be all over this guy.

-are we? should we be?

The only recruit I feel you should be all over this early are guys who project as impact players as freshmen.  Everybody else you closely evaluate against good competition.  Not just a couple of games, but a half dozen games.  Northweather simply hasn't played against that many good teams but he certainly acquitted himself well today.  

Connor Turnbull is playing in a tougher class so he's had more opportunities to prove himself, including today's dominating 28 point, 10 rebound performance against Liberty (Kansas City). And tomorrow, he has the chance to demonstrate he's even better than I think. He's got a matchup with Tarris Reed in the third-place game.  If Turnbull holds his own, we need to offer him as soon as possible.

23 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

The only recruit I feel you should be all over this early are guys who project as impact players as freshmen.  Everybody else you closely evaluate against good competition.  Not just a couple of games, but a half dozen games.  Northweather simply hasn't played against that many good teams but he certainly acquitted himself well today.  

Connor Turnbull is playing in a tougher class so he's had more opportunities to prove himself, including today's dominating 28 point, 10 rebound performance against Liberty (Kansas City). And tomorrow, he has the chance to demonstrate he's even better than I think. He's got a matchup with Tarris Reed in the third-place game.  If Turnbull holds his own, we need to offer him as soon as 

26 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Connor Turnbull is playing in a tougher class so he's had more opportunities to prove himself, including today's dominating 28 point, 10 rebound performance against Liberty (Kansas City). And tomorrow, he has the chance to demonstrate he's even better than I think. He's got a matchup with Tarris Reed in the third-place game.  If Turnbull holds his own, we need to offer him as soon as possible.

You seem to hyping Turnbull, but have seen nothing indicating he is being looked at by SLU.  Is SLU even interested in the kid?  

2 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

You seem to hyping Turnbull, but have seen nothing indicating he is being looked at by SLU.  Is SLU even interested in the kid?  

Sometimes us high school fanatics are in a better position to see late season explosions before everyone else.  Those of us who follow high school ball saw Yuri coming way before SLU made an offer.

The Chaminade vs Ft Zumwalt North contest was over early.  Chaminade totally shut down Ft Zumwalt defensively and used their superior footspeed at every position to create easy offense.  By early in the third quarter, the lead had ballooned to 20+.  Tarris Reed was his usual dominant self, scoring an easy 28.  Turnbull was a nonfactor.  Even when he got the occasional touch inside, the stronger Reed did a great job of walling up or a guard came quickly to help.

When it comes to 2nd best junior big in the state, it's a coin flip between Luke Northweather, Connor Turnbull and Jevon Porter, who has already committed to Romar at Pepperdine.   It will be interesting to see who emerges as the clear #2 over the coming months.  But there's a sizable gap between Tarris Reed and everybody else.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, hmart23 said:

I believe they ran with MOKAN last year

Correct, and both have announced they'll play for MOKAN Elite again this year. (Although they really didn't have an AAU season last year.)

This is still a strong BBE squad. Brandon Miller is an incredible talent on the wing. Martin is Collins-style solid at PG. Nick Smith is a really dynamic guard. Jeremy Fears is new to the team and playing up a year; he's one of the top PGs in the 2023 class. Kellen Thames can fill it up. Tavion Banks is a KC-area kid playing at Minnesota Prep and I think he's just starting to emerge.

The exciting thing about AAU coming back (I assume) is that a lot of these guys have a chance to make a name for themselves. Smith, Miller, and a few others are well known. But this is a chance for guys like Stacker, Thames, Martin, Kramer, Jones, Lewis, and Turnbull to get more exposure.

SLURadioBoy likes this