Recruiting - 2022

Pistol

32 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Will Richardson - PG, 6-2, 180 - Teaneck, NJ (Bergen Catholic) - AAU: PSA Cardinals (Nike EYBL)
Offers: Saint Louis, Massachusetts, Penn State, Vanderbilt, Columbia, Stony Brook.

Interest: St. Joseph's, Notre Dame, Penn, Sacred Heart.

Latest News: Richardson received an offer from SLU. (4/7/20)

Scouting Report: Richardson is an athletic, high-scoring PG with an attacking style. He loves to run in transition and is dangerous with or without the ball. He scores on all three levels, with great rise on his jump shot. When he's going to the rim, he has excellent body control and finishes strong with either hand. He's an aggressive defender who uses his length to his advantage and he rebounds his position well. 

-He's a nice looking player. Led his team to the state final, which was cancelled before they could play it. Averaged 18.7 PPG this season as a sophomore and can play the 1 or 2. Plays fearless. Seems to have some #teamblue characteristics. I like him.

Shades of Kiwane Garris.  Quick one-on-one combo with size who can pass the ball.  He would be a matchup nightmare in the A-10.

Pistol likes this

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Will Richardson - PG, 6-2, 180 - Teaneck, NJ (Bergen Catholic) - AAU: PSA Cardinals (Nike EYBL)
Offers: Saint Louis, Massachusetts, Penn State, Vanderbilt, Columbia, Stony Brook.

Interest: St. Joseph's, Notre Dame, Penn, Sacred Heart.

Latest News: Richardson received an offer from SLU. (4/7/20)

Scouting Report: Richardson is an athletic, high-scoring PG with an attacking style. He loves to run in transition and is dangerous with or without the ball. He scores on all three levels, with great rise on his jump shot. When he's going to the rim, he has excellent body control and finishes strong with either hand. He's an aggressive defender who uses his length to his advantage and he rebounds his position well. 

-He's a nice looking player. Led his team to the state final, which was cancelled before they could play it. Averaged 18.7 PPG this season as a sophomore and can play the 1 or 2. Plays fearless. Seems to have some #teamblue characteristics. I like him.

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

Shades of Kiwane Garris.  Quick one-on-one combo with size who can pass the ball.  He would be a matchup nightmare in the A-10.

-okay, let's get him to Be a Billiken

• 2 weeks later...

-Reed made an incredible transformation of his body from frosh to soph seasons, I can't recall anyone doing what he did at that age but love to hear other local examples if there are any, I think he would end up being a very, very good get for us

-come on Tarris, Be a Billiken

On 4/19/2020 at 1:26 PM, SLURadioBoy said:

Here’s an article about Tarris Reed and his recruitment. I like what he had to say about SLU...

Saint Louis: "It feels amazing, it feels just like home. They've invited me to a couple of games and it was awesome. The atmosphere was amazing. Like when they played Dayton even though they lost it was still amazing and I got to go back and talk to coach (Travis) Ford and coach (Corey) Tate.”

I like what he said, but keep in mind that he said "it felt like home" about three of the four schools they asked him about.  Obviously, Saint Louis should feel the most like home, since it is home, but we'll see.

14 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

If Tarris Reed is the #1 in-state player for 2022, his teammate Damien Mayo is top 5.  I would argue that Hughes teammate,  point guard Robert Martin, should also be a priority recruit.  Belleville East's Braxton Stacker is top 10 in Illinois.  This class will be a little deeper than 2021.

I'm hoping Mayo gets an offer soon. He'd fit in well with the character of this team and has some attributes that remind me of some of our physically imposing guards in recent years.

(Hughes, Martin, and Reed all have offers, for anyone wondering.)

I'm still in wait-and-see mode on Stacker. He made a big jump this season.

47 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

If Tarris Reed is the #1 in-state player for 2022, his teammate Damien Mayo is top 5.  I would argue that Hughes teammate,  point guard Robert Martin, should also be a priority recruit.  Belleville East's Braxton Stacker is top 10 in Illinois.  This class will be a little deeper than 2021.

I am a huge fan of Mayo, just an absolute dog. I am a little curious to see what his ceiling is, but he took a huge step forward from his freshman to sophomore year (like Reed). The Chaminade coaches rave about Mayo and Reed as kids and teammates, so as an alum it would be great to see them in Billiken blue.

Definitely another kid I was really interested to follow this spring/summer along with the kids you mention above (Reed, Martin, Hughes) and a couple of elite 2022 guys BBE had playing for them who live outside of STL (Brandon Miller and Nick Smith, not sure if they were still running with BBE) and the best name I have seen locally in 2022 Tichy Musaka.

I might get run off the board for saying this, but for some reason Mayo reminds me a bit of Jordair Jett.

29 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

And as of now, we’ll have two scholarships for the 22 class. Jacobs and Linssen

32 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

This probably doesn't mean anything, but I think it's really interesting that the SLU basketball twitter account is already following Larry Jr. That usually doesn't happen until after a player commits to the program.

full court press

47 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I'm hoping Mayo gets an offer soon. He'd fit in well with the character of this team and has some attributes that remind me of some of our physically imposing guards in recent years.

(Hughes, Martin, and Reed all have offers, for anyone wondering.)

I'm still in wait-and-see mode on Stacker. He made a big jump this season.

Mayo is a freak athlete but will have to improve his perimeter shooting.  So explosive that he's never had to consistently hit from outside, been able to get to the rim whenever.  Obviously how much he grows will impact things.  6"1 vs 6"4 makes a big difference. JGood is the comparison that comes to mind before Jett for me.  

If I was rating the top 3 post prospects to come out of STL in the last 5 years Reed would be right there with Gordon and Tyler Cook.  He's not quite as explosive as the other two but his skillset is super refined and may turn out to be bigger.  And he's not just bullying small high schoolers, steps out and hits 3's too.  

1 minute ago, Billiken4life5 said:

If I was rating the top 3 post prospects to come out of STL in the last 5 years Reed would be right there with Gordon and Tyler Cook.  He's not quite as explosive as the other two but his skillset is super refined and may turn out to be bigger.  And he's not just bullying small high schoolers, steps out and hits 3's too.  

I love that Reed seems to really like SLU. 

49 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

This probably doesn't mean anything, but I think it's really interesting that the SLU basketball twitter account is already following Larry Jr. That usually doesn't happen until after a player commits to the program.

I tend to agree, but this circumstance is a little different. 

58 minutes ago, Billiken4life5 said:

Mayo is a freak athlete but will have to improve his perimeter shooting.  So explosive that he's never had to consistently hit from outside, been able to get to the rim whenever.  Obviously how much he grows will impact things.  6"1 vs 6"4 makes a big difference. JGood is the comparison that comes to mind before Jett for me.  

Good post. I would describe Jett and Goodwin as dogs as well, so either works for me (some similarities to their strengths as well as differences). Just such a physically strong and athletic kid with a tremendous motor. Needs his skills to round out to reach his full potential as would growing to a true 6'3-6'4 as you said. It did look like he sharpened his handles quite a bit from his freshman to sophomore year, so hopefully we see a similar gain in his shooting and continued development.

Reed really surprised me this year. By the end of the season he had a bit of Jontay Porter to his game which I was not expecting at all. I was always using Tyler Cook as his comparison based on body type and was kind of projecting that sort of game and development, but his skill development was tremendous and he started to become a bit of a stretch big. Cook's body changed tremendously over his high school career as did his athleticism, so I am hoping Reed sees a jump as he grows into his body and gains strength.

1 hour ago, moytoy12 said:

I love that Reed seems to really like SLU. 

depends.   life can change for the young man.   ej liddell loved slu as well.   he now wears red and gray.  

57 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

depends.   life can change for the young man.   ej liddell loved slu as well.   he now wears red and gray.  

Hopefully the difference will be some tournament appearances and rankings. EJ Liddell didn't have too much of that right before he committed to Ohio State. Remember, winning fixes everything. 

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

He did? I know he went to a few games, but I dont remember EJ talking highly of SLU.  EJ's recruiting was a weird one, in that he never really wanted to go to osu, he always thought he would end up at mizzou. 

42 minutes ago, wgstl said:

He did? I know he went to a few games, but I dont remember EJ talking highly of SLU.  EJ's recruiting was a weird one, in that he never really wanted to go to osu, he always thought he would end up at mizzou. 

I thought Ohio State was kind of his dream school and that he fell in love with Holtmann while his dad had some sort of previous relationship with Cuonzo. I thought some posted that at the beginning of things he really liked SLU, but that maybe the addition of Gordon took us out of that race? I guess it doesn't matter at this point.

59 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

I thought Ohio State was kind of his dream school and that he fell in love with Holtmann while his dad had some sort of previous relationship with Cuonzo. I thought some posted that at the beginning of things he really liked SLU, but that maybe the addition of Gordon took us out of that race? I guess it doesn't matter at this point.

I was told by someone who seemed to have a good understanding that he was practically on his way to mizzou to commit, but had the worlds worst OV.  He then told OSU and osu was shocked because they too that it was a done deal.