Recruiting - 2022

Pistol

Markhi Strickland transferred to a relatively unknown JUCO in Texas.  Lorentsson is still peddling his game and has found no takers.  Neither seem to be hot commodities on the open market.  Losing them as the tenth or eleventh man does not concern me (although Strickland did make me wonder what with his athleticism).  

Now, I believe Strickland and his dad know he has no real body of work to showcase to prospective buyers.  He needs to explode all season down at Victoria College and get suitors salivating over him for next year's recruiting odyssey.  I expect Lorentsson to slink back to Sweden and play in some low level pro league there much like Ingvi Gudmundsson did in Iceland.  

Good teammates all around (for all I know) but not dramatic losses especially with Perkins coming back and Pickett and Parker in the fold.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

Markhi Strickland transferred to a relatively unknown JUCO in Texas.  Lorentsson is still peddling his game and has found no takers.  Neither seem to be hot commodities on the open market.  Losing them as the tenth or eleventh man does not concern me (although Strickland did make me wonder what with his athleticism).  

Now, I believe Strickland and his dad know he has no real body of work to showcase to prospective buyers.  He needs to explode all season down at Victoria College and get suitors salivating over him for next year's recruiting odyssey.  I expect Lorentsson to slink back to Sweden and play in some low level pro league there much like Ingvi Gudmundsson did in Iceland.  

Good teammates all around (for all I know) but not dramatic losses especially with Perkins coming back and Pickett and Parker in the fold.

Strickland seemed like a bust until the last game with his ball handling. Lorentsson just needs to put on 30 pounds, and see what he is after that. Oh well.

Travis Ford is committed to playing fast and you can see the Bigs he recruits can all run

we will be an up tempo team and our PPG will be better as we will have better shooters on the floor. Linssen is a loss as he was a starter, let’s hope the new Bigs give us that quality of work.

13 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

Yeah I was disappointed that Ford seemed to throw the players under the bus more last season than previous seasons

Well what is  he to do - he made some recruiting mistakes regarding the heart of some players.  The only solution is they have to be replaced.  I did not take it the same way as you.  At some point players have to be held accountable.

56 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Well what is  he to do - he made some recruiting mistakes regarding the heart of some players.  The only solution is they have to be replaced.  I did not take it the same way as you.  At some point players have to be held accountable.

imo that should be behind closed doors not broadcast to all the world.   he can chastise his players in the lockerroom.  a leader takes the blame and then deals with it later imo.  

Old guy likes this

I'd like to know ..... when we get the big lead ..... Auburn, Belmont, UAB, Rhode Island, VCU .... whose idea is it to play slowdown, walk-it-up, expire the shot clock offense?  Is that Ford or Collins?

Marlow likes this

34 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I'd like to know ..... when we get the big lead ..... Auburn, Belmont, UAB, Rhode Island, VCU .... whose idea is it to play slowdown, walk-it-up, expire the shot clock offense?  Is that Ford or Collins?

That was the most frustrating to watch last season and it’s on the coach.

The Auburn game I felt that after they made the run to go 13 points ahead that the players were gassed so Ford had to walk it up the floor after the timeout.  Had the coach substituted because he had a 13 point lead with fresh players he could have kept running.

I know it's hard to let go of the frustration about the late game collapses but that wasn't an issue the year before and I won't be an issue this year.  Perkins is back.  Parker will learn for a year and help close games the season after.  Last year was largely a one-man show, constructed out of necessity.  We aren't that team anymore.

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

if it is collins and ford doesnt agree why would ford allow it to go on?

19 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

If we hadn't slowed it down vs Auburn we get caught quicker and lose by more. We literally could not stop them. Our only chance was to limit their possessions. They scored 25 points in the last 7:25 at which time we had an 11 point lead. I know this doesn't fit the agenda of many on the board though so our inability to stop them gets overlooked when discussing this game

There is a time in almost every game, that you need to slow things down. Now, there can be an argument on when that should be done, but to infer that it shouldn't be done is incorrect. When you get to the point where all you need to do is protect the ball and make your free throws to win, then it is prudent to slow the game down. Again, the talent on the floor should be considered when making the decision. The last thing a coach wants to do is to give the other team a chance to get back in the game by taking an unnecessary quick shot when they have a comfortable lead. I have no problem with a coach slowing things down when you have a 15-20 point lead with less than 8 minutes to go.

34 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

If we hadn't slowed it down vs Auburn we get caught quicker and lose by more. We literally could not stop them. Our only chance was to limit their possessions. They scored 25 points in the last 7:25 at which time we had an 11 point lead. I know this doesn't fit the agenda of many on the board though so our inability to stop them gets overlooked when discussing this game

If I want to ***** about Ford and the Auburn game it was he couldn't come up with a defense to stop the pick and roll leading to dunks. 

16 minutes ago, willie said:

If I want to ***** about Ford and the Auburn game it was he couldn't come up with a defense to stop the pick and roll leading to dunks. 

The pick and roll fest began soon after Marten left the game with an injury with about 8 minutes to go. Franco really struggled with it.

slufanskip likes this

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

imo that should be behind closed doors not broadcast to all the world.   he can chastise his players in the lockerroom.  a leader takes the blame and then deals with it later imo.  

A leader is someone who does what is needed when it is needed up front. A leader does not hide behind placing the blame upon the lower ranks when things go wrong. If your unit/team screwed up, you take the blame rather than passing it down. I have seen/heard Ford blaming the players multiple times, I do not like it. That is not a leader's behavior.

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

I am a Coach Ford fan and at the game and I will stand by his  5 players were gassed.  I sit right by the away teams basketball in the second half and I felt they looked tired.

You could be right if the coach would have substituted players after the time out and ran to put them away and lost by more then I probably would have said why did he take them out, lol.

Next season our team is in the mix for a first place finish again and that is why I am a Ford fan.

Happy Friday 

billikenblue likes this

22 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

I'm not sure if we are talking about the same comments, but after the NIT game Coach Ford said he wanted players who wanted to be here, wanted to work hard and improve and wanted to buy into TeamBlue.  He mentioned no names.  I have zero issues with those particular comments.  

I just hope the lure of SLU for MOMO was 23-24 season when we lose Franco and Forrester. Get him minutes for sure if he’s earned them, but the important thing is get him thinking longer term, ie you can be a 2-3 year starter. Of course, if he’s a Jabbar or Walton from day 1, well, he starts immediately. I don’t expect that will be the case. 

21 hours ago, slufanskip said:

If we couldn't stop them how exactly did we get a lead?

billiken_roy likes this

8 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Did you not understand the point. I think it was clear I was referring to the last 7-8 minutes. And I think you knew that

It is simple and was discussed ad nauseum in that game day thread.

We lost that lead because our starters were gassed and Ford refused to take them out.  We couldn't fight through screens anymore.  Giving Collins & Jimmerson a break while we had momentum would have saved that game.

Slowing the game down was a reaction to our starters being gassed.  We slowed it down while the lead was at its highest point, not after they went on a run.

You are changing the narrative.  Slowing it down was not a response to not making defensive stops.  In fact it was the cause of us not making defensive stops.  Don't spin it into being good strategy by Ford.  That whole game was one coaching failure after another.  No room for Ford apologists in that loss.

brianstl likes this

23 hours ago, CBFan said:

That was the most frustrating to watch last season and it’s on the coach.

The Auburn game I felt that after they made the run to go 13 points ahead that the players were gassed so Ford had to walk it up the floor after the timeout.  Had the coach substituted because he had a 13 point lead with fresh players he could have kept running.

Can we remember that we have a coach who was able to take a mid-major team without its best player and guide them to a place where they were up by 13 late in the second half against one of the best teams in the country at the time(Auburn)? Impressive? I'd say so.... 

(I honestly believe some people will never be happy with Ford...)

Edited by SLUMedBilliken15

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

We lost that lead because our starters were gassed and Ford refused to take them out.  We couldn't fight through screens anymore.  Giving Collins & Jimmerson a break while we had momentum would have saved that game.

Slowing the game down was a reaction to our starters being gassed.  We slowed it down while the lead was at its highest point, not after they went on a run.

You are changing the narrative.  Slowing it down was not a response to not making defensive stops.  In fact it was the cause of us not making defensive stops.  Don't spin it into being good strategy by Ford.  That whole game was one coaching failure after another.  No room for Ford apologists in that loss.

And linssen got hurt and couldn't play the rest of the game. Can't believe Fords strategy would allow that.

Reeediculous

slufanskip likes this

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

I'm not changing or spinning anything. 

Most of what is discussed ad nauseum in the game day thread is lunacy and the large majority of strategy discussed is ridiculous. 

I respect your knowledge of the game and opinion, but clearly disagree on this. 

On 5/19/2022 at 9:36 AM, billiken_roy said:

not if you are playing fast on both ends.   you will have to sub. 

only when we play walk it up the floor and use the entire shot clock is the 30+ mpg top 5 player the choice. 

I still don't understand this idea that we walked the ball up all the time. We finished the season at 106 in possessions per game. Six spots behind the Jayhawks. We played faster than 2/3 of the country. That's not slow basketball. I'd be happier if we sped it up a bit too, but we really pushed the ball more than you're suggesting.