Recruiting - 2022

Pistol

2 hours ago, CBFan said:

At this point with the NIL every player is on a year by year commitment now.

If Crespin is good enough to turn pro after playing for SLU for a year then he will be an impact big that fills a need this season.

I disagree, some people are not after NIL payments or free agent status. For example Larry Hughes II did not even take a scholarship and signed his NLI almost immediately after joining the team. I highly doubt that Jimerson, Thatch, orr Perkins are after any NIL money. Ultimately whether or not they want NIL money or free agent status depends on the individual player and his family. Not everybody is after money or wants to become a professional basketball player. The number of players that simply do not care for NIL money or free agent status may not be large but there will be some of them here and there.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I disagree, some people are not after NIL payments or free agent status. For example Larry Hughes II did not even take a scholarship and signed his NLI almost immediately after joining the team. I highly doubt that Jimerson, Thatch, orr Perkins are after any NIL money. Ultimately whether or not they want NIL money or free agent status depends on the individual player and his family. Not everybody is after money or wants to become a professional basketball player. The number of players that simply do not care for NIL money or free agent status may not be large but there will be some of them here and there.

Thatch has executed multiple NIL opportunities already...

Aquinas likes this

42 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Respectfully from year to year I am not sure what players will do.

If they have a chance to make some money to help them with a car, apartment, and bills for after college life the player might feel it is necessary.

I could be wrong but Perkins was in a different situation with coming back.  Larry Hughes Jr us just a freshman whose status can change and may not want to live off his parents and if Jimerson has another great season what if he feels like playing in front of his family and making some extra money?  This is what I meant by year to year.

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

It's very naive to think these players won't pursue NIL money. I believe it's on the mind of every player and will impact where he or she eventually ends up playing. The days of do or die for lunch money are now in the rearview mirror of every players' new car. 

No they are not, this is something you cannot conceive, but again not everyone thinks or desires what you think or desire. Everyone is different, just look at the normal distribution curve. The bulk is around the median but the curve has tails on both sides. You will have people on the extremes, no matter about what, and yes there will not be many at the extremes (tails) but they will be there.

And everyone’s personal financial situation may change at any time. A player may decide they don’t want to get an NIL deal, but then say a family member gets ill and needs expensive medical care or drugs that’s not covered by insurance. Plenty of reasons players may want to start getting the most money they can. I’d tell them make as much as you can now, you are only 1 injury away from a career ending, just make sure you properly report your income to keep the IRS away.

Old guy likes this

18 hours ago, Fraz said:

Is the consensus that Crespin would be a good addition and contribute significant 4 minutes this year?

I look at Crespin as Traore's replacement and that we still will need Linssen's replacement.

2 new interests:

Mouhamadou Cisse - C, 7-0, 245 - Dakar, Senegal (Putnam Science Academy, CT) - AAU: PSA Cardinals (Nike EYBL) - Twitter: @c1sse_mom4 - Committed: Oakland (8/3/21) - Decommitted: Oakland (8/10/21) - Committed: SMU (10/9/21) - Decommitted: SMU (5/8/22)
Offers: Massachusetts, DePaul, Mississippi State, Georgia, Arizona, Arizona State, Texas Tech, Nevada, SMU, East Carolina, Tulane, Oakland, Cal State-Fullerton, UC-Santa Barbara, Grand Canyon, Bryant, Hampton.

Interest: Saint Louis, St. Bonaventure, Wake Forest, Boston College, Rutgers, Oregon, Colorado, Utah State, Temple, South Florida, San Francisco, San Diego, Pacific, Princeton, Louisiana Tech, Florida International, Toledo, Illinois-Chicago, IUPUI, Arkansas State, Towson, UC-Riverside, UC-Irvine, Cal State-Bakersfield, UMBC, New Mexico State.

Latest News: Cisse decommitted from SMU and SLU is interested. (5/9/22)

Scouting Report: Cisse is an imposing big with a tremendous physical profile. He's tall and long (7-3 wingspan) with huge shoulders and a strong frame. He plays hard and has nice shot blocking instincts. He's an elite rebounder at both ends. He runs the floor well and dunks with authority. He committed to Oakland in early August 2021 before decommitting a week later. Then he committed to SMU in October but got out of his LOI and reopened his recruitment in May 2022. He came over to Hillcrest Prep (AZ) from France for his junior year and transferred to PSA in Connecticut for his final year. He's originally from Senegal.

Deng Majak - C, 6-11, 200 - Juba, South Sudan (London Basketball Academy, ON) - AAU: Northern Kings (Under Armour Rise) - Twitter: @Dengmajak24
Offers: None.

Interest: Saint Louis, Miami, Illinois, Rutgers, Iowa State, SIU-Edwardsville, Idaho.

Latest News: Majak has new interest from SLU. (5/9/22)

Scouting Report: Majak is a mobile rim protector with length and good hands. He's a strong low post presence offensively, finishes strong, and passes very well for his size and position. He rebounds very well at both ends and runs the floor. He dunks everything he can but can step out and shoot it, too. He's raw offensively but developing quickly. He is originally from Juba, South Sudan but attending school in London, Ontario.

-Cisse is already 20 and will be 21 in December, so he's old for the class. I think Majak is younger but coaches haven't seen him as much, given that Canadian teams have mostly stayed put for 2 years.

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

I look at Crespin as Traore's replacement and that we still will need Linssen's replacement.

Yea, in the sense we probably need a center who is more ready to back up FO. That being said, there are more minutes for Crespin to see the court than Traore. 

The traditional problem with a foreign players, is that they generally are the last player in their class to arrive on campus and often have the biggest adjustments.

I would like to see the Bills sign Crespin soon and work to get him on campus ASAP.

18 hours ago, Pistol said:

2 new interests:

Mouhamadou Cisse - C, 7-0, 245 - Dakar, Senegal (Putnam Science Academy, CT) - AAU: PSA Cardinals (Nike EYBL) - Twitter: @c1sse_mom4 - Committed: Oakland (8/3/21) - Decommitted: Oakland (8/10/21) - Committed: SMU (10/9/21) - Decommitted: SMU (5/8/22)
Offers: Massachusetts, DePaul, Mississippi State, Georgia, Arizona, Arizona State, Texas Tech, Nevada, SMU, East Carolina, Tulane, Oakland, Cal State-Fullerton, UC-Santa Barbara, Grand Canyon, Bryant, Hampton.

Interest: Saint Louis, St. Bonaventure, Wake Forest, Boston College, Rutgers, Oregon, Colorado, Utah State, Temple, South Florida, San Francisco, San Diego, Pacific, Princeton, Louisiana Tech, Florida International, Toledo, Illinois-Chicago, IUPUI, Arkansas State, Towson, UC-Riverside, UC-Irvine, Cal State-Bakersfield, UMBC, New Mexico State.

Scouting Report: Cisse is an imposing big with a tremendous physical profile. He's tall and long (7-3 wingspan) with huge shoulders and a strong frame. He plays hard and has nice shot blocking instincts. He's an elite rebounder at both ends. He runs the floor well and dunks with authority. He committed to Oakland in early August 2021 before decommitting a week later. Then he committed to SMU in October but got out of his LOI and reopened his recruitment in May 2022. He came over to Hillcrest Prep (AZ) from France for his junior year and transferred to PSA in Connecticut for his final year. He's originally from Senegal.

Deng Majak - C, 6-11, 200 - Juba, South Sudan (London Basketball Academy, ON) - AAU: Northern Kings (Under Armour Rise) - Twitter: @Dengmajak24

Interest: Saint Louis, Miami, Illinois, Rutgers, Iowa State, SIU-Edwardsville, Idaho.

Latest News: Majak has new interest from SLU. (5/9/22)

Scouting Report: Majak is a mobile rim protector with length and good hands. He's a strong low post presence offensively, finishes strong, and passes very well for his size and position. He rebounds very well at both ends and runs the floor. He dunks everything he can but can step out and shoot it, too. He's raw offensively but developing quickly. He is originally from Juba, South Sudan but attending school in London, Ontario.

-Cisse is already 20 and will be 21 in December, so he's old for the class. I think Majak is younger but coaches haven't seen him as much, given that Canadian teams have mostly stayed put for 2 years.

Give me Crespin and Cisse and a 2023 natty please 

CBFan likes this

New interest:

Grgur Brcic - C, 6-10, 225 - Croatia (International Sports Academy at Andrews Osborne, OH) - Twitter: @GrgurBrcic

Interest: Saint Louis, Dayton, Virginia Tech, Pacific, Kent State, Chattanooga, Bucknell, South Dakota, Denver, NJIT, Weber State, Southern Utah, Radford, Utah Valley.

Latest News: Brcic has new interest from SLU. (5/16/22)

Scouting Report: Brcic is an active, athletic big man who moves very well. He has great leaping ability and tries to dunk everything he can. He moves a lot in the half court and runs in transition. He's an aggressive rebounder, particularly at the offensive end, and is a good shot blocker. He can step out and shoot it from the perimeter.

On 4/28/2022 at 4:10 PM, Pistol said:

New interest: 

Amarr Knox - PG, 6-3, 170 - Memphis, TN (Bartlett) - AAU: Team Thad (Nike EYBL) - Twitter: @amarr_knox - Committed: Memphis (1/15/21) - Decommitted: Memphis (10/30/21)
Offers: Memphis.

Interest: Saint Louis, Dayton, Massachusetts, Tennessee, LSU, East Carolina, Florida International, Charlotte, Milwaukee, Robert Morris, Morehead State, Tennessee Tech, Tennessee-Martin, Tennessee State, Southern Indiana, Appalachian State, North Dakota, South Dakota, UMBC, NJIT, Liberty, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, Texas-Rio Grande Valley, Alabama A&M.

Latest News: Knox has new interest from SLU. (4/28/22)

Scouting Report: Knox is a tough, crafty lead guard who can score on three levels. He has a shifty handle, changes speeds well, creates space, and makes plays for his teammates off the bounce. He accelerates in transition and gets into the lane at will. He's a tenacious on-ball defender and plays hard on both ends.

-Interesting one. Committed to Memphis 15 months ago and decommitted in October. Doesn't seem to have any offers but was in the ESPN top 100 for a while last year.

Looks like Knox will be announcing his choice tomorrow at 5pm

The “show” he is announcing on seems to be YouTube show run by a guy from this Doc Holliday* guy who is from  Memphis & seems to focus on Memphis sports among others things.  I’m guessing that means  that Knox re-commits to Memphis.

Interesting according to Twitter this Holliday dude also has a football podcast with Isaac Bruce so there is a really obscure St Louis connection that probably doesn’t mean anything here.

Pistol likes this

FWIW, at the golf tournament today, Ford spoke and said they have “4-5 guys” here or coming in before dead period starts on Thursday. It’s a quiet period now so they can have guys here, but they can’t go and see recruits/trfrs 

An employee of the AD said there are 3 bigs on campus this week, but that’s more hearsay and to be taken with a grain of salt, but at least fits with Ford’s timeline

we went 60 today (-9) and lost by 7 #yikes

11 hours ago, Littlebill said:

we went 60 today (-9) and lost by 7 #yikes

Must have been a team of attorneys.   They have the best erasers.

brianstl likes this

5 hours ago, BLIKNS said:

Amarr Knox chose Alabama State

I saw that.  Kind of crazy for a guy to go from a top 100 recruit at one point & a de-commitment from Memphis to choosing Alabama State.  I didn't watch the YouTube commitment show, but given the nature of the show I imagine that Alabama State being a HBCU played a role for Knox.

Billiken Pat likes this

13 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I saw that.  Kind of crazy for a guy to go from a top 100 recruit at one point & a de-commitment from Memphis to choosing Alabama State.  I didn't watch the YouTube commitment show, but given the nature of the show I imagine that Alabama State being a HBCU played a role for Knox.

Yep, but We’ve had 2 players nearly take this route, ha. Nesbitt and Gordon just had quick stops first 

On 5/9/2022 at 2:28 PM, Pistol said:

2 new interests:

This man is going to be a menace when he’s a Junior or Senior.  Those physical attributes are herculean 

just from reading reports on the internet, i really like these two pickups.  forrester appears to be a really nice get and reading between the lines might be better than linssen.  

cisse likely a project of sorts but when he first committed to SMU there were big time programs also chasing him.   you got to like his dimensions.   and the fact he was a soccer player tells me he is likely fit and an athlete.   

cant wait to see both.  

now go get that point guard coach!

4 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

Some days it’s difficult being a Billiken fan. This day is not one of them. Welcome to our new commits!!

No kidding!

On paper this is exactly what was needed. 
An experienced big who can step in in case of emergency and a developmental big who I’m betting can be a rim protector this year. 
This was a very productive day!!

cgeldmacher likes this

I will admit I'm not a believer in Ford. His results seem to be the same at all his stops in his career. But today was a really big day. And getting Yuri to come back was equally as big. Ford has had a heck of an offseason. I truly believe we have a top 20 roster in all of the NCAA. I know that could sound extreme to some but we have talent, experience, size, strength, shooting, and defense with depth everywhere except maybe at the PG position. Barring something crazy, Ford will prove my theories about him to be very wrong or very right this season. I would be thrilled to be extremely wrong. This team is really really good. 

BilliesBy40 likes this

2 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I will admit I'm not a believer in Ford. His results seem to be the same at all his stops in his career. But today was a really big day. And getting Yuri to come back was equally as big. Ford has had a heck of an offseason. I truly believe we have a top 20 roster in all of the NCAA. I know that could sound extreme to some but we have talent, experience, size, strength, shooting, and defense with depth everywhere except maybe at the PG position. Barring something crazy, Ford will prove my theories about him to be very wrong or very right this season. I would be thrilled to be extremely wrong. This team is really really good. 

Hell yea, keep those back-handed compliments coming

slufanskip likes this

10 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

Hell yea, keep those back-handed compliments coming

Yeah I mean I don't think it's any secret that I don't like Ford as a coach. Good, likable, charismatic guy. Had some unlucky breaks here at SLU. But I'm not sold on him as the right guy for the job more so based on what he did at OK St and even UMass. But even I'm coming around to him this spring. He has built a really good roster. I hope the results follow. I'm excited. 

cgeldmacher likes this