Recruiting - 2022

Pistol

1 minute ago, Bilzz said:

He was sooooooooo slow in game action, though. He just never seemed like he could keep up with back end of the opponent's bench. I don't how we could justify giving him minutes on next year's team.

Like I said I'm not pushing for his return, but I am getting a little concerned we don't seem to have much in our big pipeline. At least we're not hearing much about it. In Travis I trust when it comes to recruiting but am a little surprised, we don't know more about possible candidates. I tossed out Lorentsson's name as a plan C. 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

We did just fine with Cody Ellis playing 26 min a game in the frontcourt.

Cody did a lot of little things defensively that made us better. He took a ton of charges and his defensive rebounding was good enough. His ability to score kept him on the floor also. Not saying Andre can't be that guy, but we haven't seen any of it yet though.

On 3/23/2022 at 1:41 PM, 3star_recruit said:

The coaching staff is doing their due diligence on the prep school circuit.

These guys visited UMass but just called it for Pitt. Phew.

3star_recruit likes this

Jordan Shorter committed to Little Rock. Had a SLU offer at one point but I think it's been stale for a long time.

That leaves Ola Ajiboye as the last remaining 2022 player SLU offered who is still available. There was solid mutual interest for a while but I get the idea we backed off last fall. Given the state of our frontcourt, maybe we have room for a developmental big.

11 hours ago, Pistol said:

Jordan Shorter committed to Little Rock. Had a SLU offer at one point but I think it's been stale for a long time.

That leaves Ola Ajiboye as the last remaining 2022 player SLU offered who is still available. There was solid mutual interest for a while but I get the idea we backed off last fall. Given the state of our frontcourt, maybe we have room for a developmental big.

I think he falls victim to changes in transfer eligibility.

With so many college experienced bigs in the portal it has to be frustrating to a project type of division 1 high school recruit.

Happy Friday

7 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I think he falls victim to changes in transfer eligibility.

With so many college experienced bigs in the portal it has to be frustrating to a project type of division 1 high school recruit.

Happy Friday

This is true of most 2022 recruits. They're settling for fewer offers, committing to play at lower levels, or getting overlooked altogether.

Ajiboye specifically is a tricky case because he's only about 6-8. If he were a couple inches taller, he'd be signed by now. He can step out and shoot, though. I just think that if any programs are taking bigs to develop, they're taking bigger guys and letting guys like Ajiboye develop elsewhere before recruiting him later.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

This is true of most 2022 recruits. They're settling for fewer offers, committing to play at lower levels, or getting overlooked altogether.

Ajiboye specifically is a tricky case because he's only about 6-8. If he were a couple inches taller, he'd be signed by now. He can step out and shoot, though. I just think that if any programs are taking bigs to develop, they're taking bigger guys and letting guys like Ajiboye develop elsewhere before recruiting him later.

The real question is whether he can actually shoot threes, or if this is just a token 3 pt reference. Ford has shown that if a player cannot really shoot threes, then they will not have a green light during games. That seemed to be the case with Lassina Traore. There were reports he could shoot, but he probably never passed the Ford shooting threshold. Ford is a little old school in that way.

3 hours ago, STLsportsfan said:

Looks like WSU is already loaded with bigs ..... hopefully a good sign for SLU.  Oh, and got commitment from a big a few days ago, 7 foot, 4-star recruit Adrame Diongue.

24 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Thinking the translator mistook wash st for Oregon St.

He posted from the airport in Portland after his SLU visit, so it looks like he went to Oregon State (Corvallis is 1.5 hours south of PDX) before backtracking to Washington State, which is in the eastern part of the state. Not sure if he made it down to Saint Mary's or not.

It's very odd to visit power conference programs and have absolutely no chatter about it on social media or blogs or anywhere. The Oregon State beat writer mentioned him in his Q&A a week ago and said the staff likes him, but that's all I could find.

Even if we land him, I don't think we can count on him for the long term. I saw snippets of his quote shared here last week, so forgive me if this was already linked, but here's the full thing through Google Translate:

The Pro B in 2021-2022 is the objective of the young interior, he who must visit several structures of the division soon:

"Right now I have more NCAA offers, like what's been swirling around on Twitter right now, but really my goals aren't there. If there's a real Pro B offer...Because 'honestly I don't feel ready to play Betclic ELITE. Me it's basically Pro B. If a Pro B club is interested with commitments, why would I go to NCAA? NCAA is more like a plan B. It depends on France, if they offer me good things I'll leave, if they offer me nothing concrete I'll leave.

If there is training, if I can continue to evolve, to play... I honestly think I can play in Pro B, it does not depend on me. I will not play in Espoirs. That's why it's either Pro B with a real back-up role, or the NCAA. If it is to be 11th or 12th man (in Betclic ELITE), not to have playing time and to be loaned and play in Espoirs, I think that I will have lost the advance that I gained at Pôle France ."

If he has not received a concrete offer at this stage, but interest from several clubs, Maël Hamon-Crespin remains patient and expresses no bitterness towards the Pro B recruiters.

Pro B = France's second tier pro league. He's currently playing in NM1, France's third tier.

He also wouldn't be over here until mid-August. The Euro U18 championships are the first week of August in Turkey. This is also a reminder that he's just 17.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Even if we land him, I don't think we can count on him for the long term. I saw snippets of his quote shared here last week, so forgive me if this was already linked, but here's the full thing through Google Translate:

The Pro B in 2021-2022 is the objective of the young interior, he who must visit several structures of the division soon:

"Right now I have more NCAA offers, like what's been swirling around on Twitter right now, but really my goals aren't there. If there's a real Pro B offer...Because 'honestly I don't feel ready to play Betclic ELITE. Me it's basically Pro B. If a Pro B club is interested with commitments, why would I go to NCAA? NCAA is more like a plan B. It depends on France, if they offer me good things I'll leave, if they offer me nothing concrete I'll leave.

If there is training, if I can continue to evolve, to play... I honestly think I can play in Pro B, it does not depend on me. I will not play in Espoirs. That's why it's either Pro B with a real back-up role, or the NCAA. If it is to be 11th or 12th man (in Betclic ELITE), not to have playing time and to be loaned and play in Espoirs, I think that I will have lost the advance that I gained at Pôle France ."

If he has not received a concrete offer at this stage, but interest from several clubs, Maël Hamon-Crespin remains patient and expresses no bitterness towards the Pro B recruiters.

Pro B = France's second tier pro league. He's currently playing in NM1, France's third tier.

He also wouldn't be over here until mid-August. The Euro U18 championships are the first week of August in Turkey. This is also a reminder that he's just 17.

Well, pardon the l’enfer outa us… 

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

17 going on 35.  Crespin has a very mature approach to decision making.  We  live in a free agent environment where people feel they need to hide their hand.  He's making his intentions known right up front.

At this point with the NIL every player is on a year by year commitment now.

If Crespin is good enough to turn pro after playing for SLU for a year then he will be an impact big that fills a need this season.

I'm 80% sure that foreign students can't get NIL. Because the student visas do not allow one to work.

45 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I'm 80% sure that foreign students can't get NIL. Because the student visas do not allow one to work.

Are they allowed to gain passive income from stocks? If so, then just pay them while they are at home, or pay them into their home country. Then they can claim it as passive income. Passive income from royalties for using their NIL on advertising in their home country.

13 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Are they allowed to gain passive income from stocks? If so, then just pay them while they are at home, or pay them into their home country. Then they can claim it as passive income. Passive income from royalties for using their NIL on advertising in their home country.

If they earn their money from their home country then they do not have to pay US taxes.  The point A Bomb is making is that if you are on a visitor's visa you can not work therefore your image can not be used.  Now people do it but unless you get caught you can probably get away with it.  

11 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

17 going on 35.  Crespin has a very mature approach to decision making.  We  live in a free agent environment where people feel they need to hide their hand.  He's making his intentions known right up front.

"The Amazing Crespin"

AGB91 likes this