Recruiting - 2022

Pistol

17 minutes ago, ACE said:

Okoro averaged 24 mpg.  Let's say he gets that amount of time again. Carr can get the remaining 16 mpg at the 5 and 8 more mpg a the four... so he too can get 24 mpg - yes, starter's minutes.

But the fact that this has dragged on a bit, has me thinking it may be slipping away, but that's just mbm speculation.

According to Frank, Crespin was on campus yesterday and today so Carr might be waiting to see how that goes.

Crespin looks the part but it’s scary that he is only 17 trying to learn how to play against seasoned bigs but that 3 point shot makes him hard to defend.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Bills By 40 said:

If we get Carr it's because we offered him a starting spot alongside Okoro. That means with Yuri at the 1, Perkins at the 3, Okoro at the 5, and GJ or JP at the 2. Carr isn't transferring here to come off the bench - Crespin may be happy with minutes off the bench but I don't see AC agreeing to that role. 

NO.  Ford doesn't offer anyone a starting spot.  What he would offer is the chance for a player to contribute with significant minutes, if he shows he deserves it in practice.  Pickett and Thatch would be extremely upset if they know they have been relegated to the bench, despite being one of the best five players on the team.

First he will need to prove he can be in Ford's 8 to 10 man rotation and then worry about his minutes.  Earn your minutes in practice and in games.

CBFan likes this

14 minutes ago, CBFan said:

According to Frank, Crespin was on campus yesterday and today so Carr might be waiting to see how that goes.

Crespin looks the part but it’s scary that he is only 17 trying to learn how to play against seasoned bigs but that 3 point shot makes him hard to defend.

He has been playing against men older than college players, but your right, it could take a while for him to adjust.

33 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

He has been playing against men older than college players, but your right, it could take a while for him to adjust.

I like your explanation that he is playing with older players better and I will add he is ready then, I need something.

At 17 he can still grow.

6 hours ago, wgstl said:

But when does that happen?  Lets say he starts off the year slowly, and only plays 25 and then gets going for conf and plays 35, thats still 30 ppg on the year. doesn't change the outcome much from a seasonal average . 

it better happen quick for him if he's using this as showcase for NBA. that incentive alone will be great for us. with him & GJ hitting & Yuri's improved shooting I c some blowouts in the OCC.

6 hours ago, wgstl said:

But when does that happen?  Lets say he starts off the year slowly, and only plays 25 and then gets going for conf and plays 35, thats still 30 ppg on the year. doesn't change the outcome much from a seasonal average . 

it better happen quick for him if he's using this as showcase for NBA. that incentive alone will be great for us. with him & GJ hitting & Yuri's improved shooting I c some blowouts in the OCC.

1 hour ago, Bills By 40 said:

If we get Carr it's because we offered him a starting spot alongside Okoro. That means with Yuri at the 1, Perkins at the 3, Okoro at the 5, and GJ or JP at the 2. Carr isn't transferring here to come off the bench - Crespin may be happy with minutes off the bench but I don't see AC agreeing to that role. 

Carr played 28 mpg at Delaware, a team with a NET ranking of 134.  He's transferring up in talent level.  He has to know he will be playing less minutes than he does now, no matter where he goes.

HoosierPal and BilliesBy40 like this

19 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Carr played 28 mpg at Delaware, a team with a NET ranking of 134.  He's transferring up in talent level.  He has to know he will be playing less minutes than he does now, no matter where he goes.

We'll see. First of all, I speculated 20MPG, so I'm not exactly disagreeing with you. I think he could be hyper efficient in those minutes, but more importantly he'd be the only player truly meant to play the 4 spot on our roster. He's not exactly a center, he's not a wing, he's a stretch power forward. 

Perkins isn't a PF. If we play him there it's only because we're finding ways to get everyone minutes. If it were up to me Perkins would play 35MPG at the 3 spot.

10 minutes ago, SShoe said:

Not that many teams play 2 traditional bigs anymore plus Perkins wouldn't guard a team's 4.  Thatch, Hargrove, or Pickett could though.

Not many MBMs recognize this.  Most teams we play will be 4 out, just as we did last season.  Thatch did just fine guarding muscular, tall players last season.  

Thatch has a lot of heart, but is way un desized to guard a big 4, and he was the best we had last year. Picket is bigger, though still undersized and hopefully will do better. A good sized 4 who can defend would allow us to match up with bigger teams.

28 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

Thatch has a lot of heart, but is way un desized to guard a big 4, and he was the best we had last year. Picket is bigger, though still undersized and hopefully will do better. A good sized 4 who can defend would allow us to match up with bigger teams.

It was fun when Fred guarded oduro for that 5 minutes, but oduro was exhausted, and Fred wasn’t. I love Fred, but that should be just a one time occurrence 

6 hours ago, slufan13 said:

I won't predict the minutes for the full season but based on how Ford has run his rotations, here is our minutes breakdown in our Sweet 16 win over Arkansas

Perkins 36

Yuri 35

Gibby 32

Thatch 26

Okoro 28

Pickett 23

Carr 12

Parker 8

Lmao Carr just passed up an Elite 8 appearance 

Littlebill likes this

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

It was fun when Fred guarded oduro for that 5 minutes, but oduro was exhausted, and Fred wasn’t. I love Fred, but that should be just a one time occurrence 

I remember when Fred guarded Obi a lot in a game.  He actually took it to him pretty good.  It was fun to watch.  He really frustrated Obi.

Obi and Oduro are what I would call unconventional bigs.  Likely better suited for the exterior than in.  Obi was a high school guard when first recruited.  He had guard skills.  Look at Obi now, he is the Knicks version of TJ --- go stand in the corner and launch the occasional three when it comes your way.  Thatch got him because Fred understood positioning better and Obi really wasn't a true big.  Oduro can be better in the paint and has much better moves for such a situation.  But he tires easily and that's where Thatch got him.

Few teams in the A10 dwarfed us last year.  Bona has Osunniyi and that was it.  Rhodey had the bonehead Mitchell twins and that didn't go well for them.  La Salle only had Cliff Moore.  The Joey's played an oversized three in Funk inside and Obinna was stationary.  Davidson beat us bad but it was more due to three point shooting than their lone big.  Duquesne was a joke.  Umass was unskilled.  Fordham had Ohams.  Richmond was four out.  I believe the only reason Mason stayed close in 2OTs was it was at their place.  The A10 is not a league that you usually see bigger front line.  I will watch with great interest what Umass and Frank Martin bring this year what with their big transfers.  

The only team that really challenged us with two bigs was Dayton.  Camara and Holmes were tough but Holmes was limited to dunks and putbacks.  As he gets better, Dayton will be tough but if Camar goes, that Baker transfer from Georgia better work out.

We definitely need a serviceable big to compliment Okoro.  If Ford insists on going 8 deep, we already have Okoro, Collins, Perkins, Pickett, Thatch, Jimerson and Parker.  That's seven.  The eight is an obvious choice with the European.  And I forgot Hargrove.  

As I recall, Davidson had two bigs that did play a little together. There was Branovich(sp?) and Megana(sp?) who both could step out and shoot the 3. Point being good coaches will find out what works once the ball is tossed up. 

I am in need of a Welcome Crespin thread today.

Turnbull and Carr reminds me of what 3 Star always posts, it is tough to get talented bigs.

15 hours ago, SShoe said:

Not that many teams play 2 traditional bigs anymore plus Perkins wouldn't guard a team's 4.  Thatch, Hargrove, or Pickett could though.

15 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Not many MBMs recognize this.  Most teams we play will be 4 out, just as we did last season.  Thatch did just fine guarding muscular, tall players last season.  

I haven't been advocating for a "traditional" big, and the type of player I have been advocating for can play out to the perimeter on both ends of the court. The teams we play out of conference might showcase a traditional front court where a second big man comes in handy, and a big man that can play medium or fill Okoro's shoes adds a lot of flexibility to our roster. 

There's no arguing we'd be better off with a Carr, Crespin, Brajkovic, etc. That and a backup ball handler are exactly what we're missing. Maybe a traditional 5 man to ride the pine and develop. 

30 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

I haven't been advocating for a "traditional" big, and the type of player I have been advocating for can play out to the perimeter on both ends of the court. The teams we play out of conference might showcase a traditional front court where a second big man comes in handy, and a big man that can play medium or fill Okoro's shoes adds a lot of flexibility to our roster. 

There's no arguing we'd be better off with a Carr, Crespin, Brajkovic, etc. That and a backup ball handler are exactly what we're missing. Maybe a traditional 5 man to ride the pine and develop. 

Most bigs don't defend well on the perimeter.  After point guard, a 4 man who can play both ends of the court is probably the toughest position to fill in basketball.

7 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Most bigs don't defend well on the perimeter.  After point guard, a 4 man who can both ends of the court is probably the toughest position to fill in basketball.

Except we've had our foot in the door with three of them in recent weeks, one of which could still find his way home. 

3 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Turnbull is good at a number of things.  Defending on the perimeter isn't one of them.

That was going to be my point. We also have no idea if Crespin can defend at all (or shoot from the perimeter like many here are saying).