Recruiting - 2022

Pistol

15 hours ago, Aquinas said:

We have Okoro who is foul prone. So there are significant minutes there. We also have a bunch of wings playing the 4, so the right guy or guys would get a lot of playing time between the 4 and 5 spots, and make us a complete team.

Maybe I'm spinzoning here but I think there's a scenario in which Carr, Crespin, and Okoro can all get 20 or more minutes a game.

Any one of the three can hold down the 5 spot against most all of the competition we see - especially in the A10. Crespin and Carr can both play the 4...that video makes me wonder if Crespin can play the 3?? Not that there's minutes available at the 3 but still, the skillset seems to be there. Playing Crespin/Carr at the 4 alongside Okoro at the 5 makes a lot of sense, and when Okoro is sitting the two can share the frontcourt. 

I especially love the idea of Crespin and Carr alongside each other after the tape I've seen of them running in transition. On rotations where we have both of our 6'9" front court guys running in transition alongside Yuri and whichever two wings you want to throw in the mix holy shiot we're athletic and fun. 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Littlebill said:

correct

Okoro is an all league guy. A 17 year old frenchman isn't changing that

Okoro is an all league guy even at 23.9MPG - his average last season. The 17 year old frenchman doesn't take away any minutes from FO but FO hasn't proved he can stay out of foul trouble long enough to play more than ~25 minutes per game. That leaves 15 MPG at the 5 spot to split between MC and AC and 40 at the 4? Realistically some of the minutes at the 4 probably go to a wing, but idk how many. 

Nothing about my spinzone theory involves taking minutes away from Okoro, but it does allow him to play the way he's used to without leaving the frontcourt out to dry if we have two guys that can shoulder the reponsibility

1 minute ago, Bills By 40 said:

Okoro is an all league guy even at 23.9MPG - his average last season. The 17 year old frenchman doesn't take away any minutes from FO but FO hasn't proved he can stay out of foul trouble long enough to play more than ~25 minutes per game. That leaves 15 MPG at the 5 spot to split between MC and AC and 40 at the 4? Realistically some of the minutes at the 4 probably go to a wing, but idk how many. 

Nothing about my spinzone theory involves taking minutes away from Okoro, but it does allow him to play the way he's used to without leaving the frontcourt out to dry if we have two guys that can shoulder the reponsibility

The more I think about it, the more I think we'll see Perkins play the 4.  

Pretend Okoro reigns it in a little bit, and we give him 30MPG. 

MC/AC each take 5MPG at the 5 and split even 30MPG at the 4. The other 10MPG at the 4 go to a variety of wing players like Perkins or Pickett, Thatch or Hargrove. My math still checks out. 

Zink likes this

Just now, Bills By 40 said:

With the current roster absolutely. 

I mean like even if we get a PF or something.  I just dont see how you can keep Fred off the floor much.  You're gonna play GJ, Fred and Perkins a ton together. 

6 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I mean like even if we get a PF or something.  I just dont see how you can keep Fred off the floor much.  You're gonna play GJ, Fred and Perkins a ton together. 

Pickett and Parker will both likely earn their share playing time, and Hargrove isn't to be forgotten either. If we get one of these two PFs yes I'm fully on your side with this, but currently I'm enjoying a pipe dream about landing two stud stretch 4s and flirting with a natty

Zink likes this

5 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

Pickett and Parker will both likely earn their share playing time, and Hargrove isn't to be forgotten either. If we get one of these two PFs yes I'm fully on your side with this, but currently I'm enjoying a pipe dream about landing two stud stretch 4s and flirting with a natty

I am greedy I want both.

There will be plenty of playing time plus next seasons with Pickett, Perkins, Okoro are gone with graduation and probably others looking for money.

If they sign both the bigs they are going to take away some minutes.

Even though Ford likes to play 8 I think he will have to adjust and play 10 because of the new transfer rule.

St. B is a great example, play 5 guys and the rest of the players decide to leave.

2 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

Im not saying a legit PF/stretch 4 isn't needed, That could play a big role in making us that much better without the big minutes.  Plus we dont know minutes yet for Perkins.  Im trying to come up with minutes from THJ but its hard, I think it'll come down to who is the better shooter and plays better defense between Parker and Hargrove. 

My prediction: we only had one player who plays more than 30 mpg(Yuri).

Starting 5 in min could look like this:

Yuri 35

GJ 29

Fred 25

Perkins 28

Okoro 25

Bench -

Back up center 16

Pickett  15

Parker 10

TJH 12

Back up PG 5

5 minutes ago, CBFan said:

There will be plenty of playing time plus next seasons with Pickett, Perkins, Okoro are gone with graduation and probably others looking for money.

With this new basketball landscape, can only look at next year, not the following anymore. 

3 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Im not saying a legit PF/stretch 4 isn't needed, That could play a big role in making us that much better without the big minutes.  Plus we dont know minutes yet for Perkins.  Im trying to come up with minutes from THJ but its hard, I think it'll come down to who is the better shooter and plays better defense between Parker and Hargrove. 

Yuri 35

GJ 29

Fred 25

Perkins 28

Okoro 25

Bench -

Back up center 16

Pickett  15

Parker 10

TJH 12

Back up PG 5

Perkins will play a lot more than that once he is 100%. If he is close to what he was, he's the best player in the league. The best player in the league plays 35+

9 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Perkins will play a lot more than that once he is 100%. If he is close to what he was, he's the best player in the league. The best player in the league plays 35+

But when does that happen?  Lets say he starts off the year slowly, and only plays 25 and then gets going for conf and plays 35, thats still 30 ppg on the year. doesn't change the outcome much from a seasonal average . 

33 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Yuri 35

GJ 29

Fred 25

Perkins 28

Okoro 25

Bench -

Back up center 16

Pickett  15

Parker 10

TJH 12

Back up PG 5

I don't like Yuri playing 35.  My belief is that one reason we lost leads in the final 7 minutes or so is that Yuri was fatigued.  Rest him and have him fresh down the stretch.  That assumes we get a quality back up PG.  

18 minutes ago, someoneelse said:

I don't like Yuri playing 35.  My belief is that one reason we lost leads in the final 7 minutes or so is that Yuri was fatigued.  Rest him and have him fresh down the stretch.  That assumes we get a quality back up PG.  

Yuri's fatigue per minutes played will be different this year because he'll be playing differently. Better supporting cast will make his job easier and therefore him less tired. 

1 minute ago, Bills By 40 said:

Yuri's fatigue per minutes played will be different this year because he'll be playing differently. Better supporting cast will make his job easier and therefore him less tired. 

more importantly, He'll need to play a lot + have low TO's for any NBA opp. He'll be up for the challenge. 

Bills By 40 likes this

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

Yuri 35

GJ 29

Fred 25

Perkins 28

Okoro 25

Bench -

Back up center 16

Pickett  15

Parker 10

TJH 12

Back up PG 5

As we all know, any minutes prediction will be wrong.  Heck, we have spots to fill.  An impact signing or two could drastically change the minutes outlook.

I think Jimerson's minutes drop a bit given the talent level and multiple scoring options this team will be able to employ..  Last year Ford HAD to play him lots of minutes, and it showed at times.  Five or so less minutes a game could make Jimerson a better player.

Thatch would be best off the bench as the 6th man given his versatility IMO.  And Pickett isn't playing his last year figuring to get 15 minutes a game.  He averaged 32 minutes for Mizzou and he most definitely could start instead of Thatch or Jimerson.  And would love to see two more bigs signed so SLU could play big several times a game.  

19 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

As we all know, any minutes prediction will be wrong.  Heck, we have spots to fill.  An impact signing or two could drastically change the minutes outlook.

I think Jimerson's minutes drop a bit given the talent level and multiple scoring options this team will be able to employ..  Last year Ford HAD to play him lots of minutes, and it showed at times.  Five or so less minutes a game could make Jimerson a better player.

Thatch would be best off the bench as the 6th man given his versatility IMO.  And Pickett isn't playing his last year figuring to get 15 minutes a game.  He could be a starter instead of Thatch or Jimerson.  And would love to see two more bigs signed so SLU could play big several times a game.  

GJ had the most trouble last year in regards to fatigue. More rest + Perkins ... I expect an even better GJ, even if it means less minutes. 

I think Fred sticks with the same amount of minutes, and it may be best given his health problems. I don't see a big jump with Okoro too, I dont think fouling improves enough to up the minutes much.

we're gonna see something similar to 2019 season with 10 players averaging more than 10 minutes per game.

8 minutes ago, wgstl said:

GJ had the most trouble last year in regards to fatigue. More rest + Perkins ... I expect an even better GJ, even if it means less minutes. 

I think Fred sticks with the same amount of minutes, and it may be best given his health problems. I don't see a big jump with Okoro too, I dont think fouling improves enough to up the minutes much.

we're gonna see something similar to 2019 season with 10 players averaging more than 10 minutes per game.

I agree. GJ played a ton because we needed the scoring threat on the floor with the absence of Perkins. He really did a hell of a job under the circumstances, becoming more versatile. Opponents were keyed in stopping him, beating him up, etc.  Fortunately we don't have to rely on him as much with the additions of Park, Pick and the return of Perk. Rather than the nearly 34 mpg, something like 29 mpg is a more reasonable expectation. He should be more fresh throughout the season.

56 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Thatch would be best off the bench as the 6th man given his versatility IMO.  And Pickett isn't playing his last year figuring to get 15 minutes a game.  He averaged 32 minutes for Mizzou and he most definitely could start instead of Thatch or Jimerson.  And would love to see two more bigs signed so SLU could play big several times a game.  

I agree mostly with the exception of Pickett starting over Jimerson.

I think Pickett starts and will be subbed with Thatch or Hargrove depending who he is defending.

Jimerson is subbed with Parker or Hargrove depending on who he is defending.

Lot’s of good choices and they still have Thames, Kramer, and Hughes.

Something to think about if we add a starting caliber 4. Say we get Carr and he starts. That means we are bringing 1 of Pick, Perk, or Jim off the bench. I’d think though if we get just 1 big we probably start Perk at the 4 alongside Pick, and Jim

2 hours ago, slufanskip said:

Something to think about if we add a starting caliber 4. Say we get Carr and he starts. That means we are bringing 1 of Pick, Perk, or Jim off the bench. I’d think though if we get just 1 big we probably start Perk at the 4 alongside Pick, and Jim

If we get Carr it's because we offered him a starting spot alongside Okoro. That means with Yuri at the 1, Perkins at the 3, Okoro at the 5, and GJ or JP at the 2. Carr isn't transferring here to come off the bench - Crespin may be happy with minutes off the bench but I don't see AC agreeing to that role. 

Coach314 likes this

9 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

If we get Carr it's because we offered him a starting spot alongside Okoro. That means with Yuri at the 1, Perkins at the 3, Okoro at the 5, and GJ or JP at the 2. Carr isn't transferring here to come off the bench - Crespin may be happy with minutes off the bench but I don't see AC agreeing to that role. 

Okoro averaged 24 mpg.  Let's say he gets that amount of time again. Carr can get the remaining 16 mpg at the 5 and 8 more mpg a the four... so he too can get 24 mpg - yes, starter's minutes.

But the fact that this has dragged on a bit, has me thinking it may be slipping away, but that's just mbm speculation.