Recruiting - 2022

Pistol

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, STLsportsfan said:

Hopefully, our staff doesn’t sit and wait for this to play out. Mizzou doesn’t need CT, I doubt Iowa does. Butler needs him, but I think they need a lot more than that, and Matta can afford to wait thru a disaster year. That leaves us. We at least have to have a backup center. If CT isn’t sure he can be that guy for us, get someone else.

6 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Hopefully, our staff doesn’t sit and wait for this to play out. Mizzou doesn’t need CT, I doubt Iowa does. Butler needs him, but I think they need a lot more than that, and Matta can afford to wait thru a disaster year. That leaves us. We at least have to have a backup center. If CT isn’t sure he can be that guy for us, get someone else.

I wouldn’t say mizzou doesn’t need him.  

my guess is he returns to butler, he obviously liked the school, and they now have a great coach. 

billiken_roy and SLU_Lax like this

47 minutes ago, wgstl said:

my guess is he returns to butler, he obviously liked the school, and they now have a great coach. 

No, I don't like the way this is leaning either.  Matta just convinced his Lithuanian, Lukosius, to remain at Butler (he is going to be good).  He also has Phinesee from IU and another transfer from NCState visiting this weekend with Turnbull.  Matta has some magic mojo going.  There are front court minutes available next season at Butler.

19 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

No, I don't like the way this is leaning either.  Matta just convinced his Lithuanian, Lukosius, to remain at Butler (he is going to be good).  He also has Phinesee from IU and another transfer from NCState visiting this weekend with Turnbull.  Matta has some magic mojo going.  There are front court minutes available next season at Butler.

Yeah I think the assistant that recruited him staying is gonna send him back to butler

I don't know much about Iowa's roster, except they are losing their top 2 scorers, Murray to the pros and Bohannon graduating.  Their PG is transferring to WVA.  They are reportedly in the running for the 6'10" transfer, Aimaq from Utah Valley, who is rated the 12th highest transfer on ESPN's list.

21 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I don't know much about Iowa's roster, except they are losing their top 2 scorers, Murray to the pros and Bohannon graduating.  Their PG is transferring to WVA.  They are reportedly in the running for the 6'10" transfer, Aimaq from Utah Valley, who is rated the 12th highest transfer on ESPN's list.

The Hawkeyes need help on the frontlines. Rebraca is their 6'9 5th year senior center and the backup center transferred.

The question for Turnball would be whether he is able to guard the extreme size of B1G centers. There are minutes to be had at Iowa if he can.

HoosierPal likes this

4 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Let’s hope this Turnbull recruiting doesn’t come down to NIL dollars. I doubt if we can compete with the other three, although I’ve heard Mizzou has been slow coming out of the NIL gate. 

https://www.thegatorcollective.com/ this is what florida is doing. could the billiken fans do something similar?

JMM28 likes this

7 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

https://www.thegatorcollective.com/ this is what florida is doing. could the billiken fans do something similar?

Illinois has a similar page up.  I doubt if it works here as too many of our MBM's are more concerned with where they can buy a beer and at what price.

Here is a different spin on NIL from Indiana.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2022/04/07/iu-nil-indiana-university-hoosiers-for-good-athletes-net-nearly-half-a-million-dollars/9486600002/

I don't know how this stuff gets started or publicized or how it is communicated to prospects, and not involve the university.  But others have certainly figured this out, and if SLU wants to compete for high level recruits, some form of a program needs to be visible and moving forward.

dennis_w and Marlow like this

9 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Illinois has a similar page up.  I doubt if it works here as too many of our MBM's are more concerned with where they can buy a beer and at what price.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2022/04/07/iu-nil-indiana-university-hoosiers-for-good-athletes-net-nearly-half-a-million-dollars/9486600002/

I don't know how this stuff gets started or publicized or how it is communicated to prospects, and not involve the university.  But others have certainly figured this out, and if SLU wants to compete for high level recruits, some form of a program needs to be visible and moving forward.

i think in the current climate of nil coaches need to be able say that nil group MBM'S has x number of dollars to give  players if you want to compete. even if this amount seems small to some

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

Butler needs bigs. They have 3 frontcourt players returning but they all played Traore minutes at most.

True, but we only have one frontcourt player returning for one more season.  Even if he re-ups with Butler, Matta will probably get upperclassmen transfers that he will start over CT.

Just now, cgeldmacher said:

True, but we only have one frontcourt player returning for one more season.  Even if he re-ups with Butler, Matta will probably get upperclassmen transfers that he will start over CT.

that said, ford seems very likely to continue to play 4 out one in offense.   i.e. okoro is our inside guy and i doubt we are loaded with wings that would likely play ahead of an incoming freshman big guy who has some outside shooting skills. 

4 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

that said, ford seems very likely to continue to play 4 out one in offense.   i.e. okoro is our inside guy and i doubt we are loaded with wings that would likely play ahead of an incoming freshman big guy who has some outside shooting skills. 

I get that, but my point was that it won't be better at Iowa or Butler.  I don't think he is going to be the go to guy at those schools his freshman year.  At SLU, we only have one big on the roster right now, and he is done after this season.  At SLU, Turnbull will get minutes this year, and could be a starter next year.  If he thinks he's going to get better than that at Iowa or Butler, I think he's getting smoke blown at him.

billiken_roy likes this

4 hours ago, wgstl said:

That would be my bet as well. Still, if the AC that landed him is still there you would think he’d have dropped out of the portal and honored his LOI. He must have some questions about Butler and Matta. 

3 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

I get that, but my point was that it won't be better at Iowa or Butler.  I don't think he is going to be the go to guy at those schools his freshman year.  At SLU, we only have one big on the roster right now, and he is done after this season.  At SLU, Turnbull will get minutes this year, and could be a starter next year.  If he thinks he's going to get better than that at Iowa or Butler, I think he's getting smoke blown at him.

No, he legitimately could get the same scenario at Iowa. That's not smoke. The question is whether he can thrive in the B1G. Garza had the same kind of arsenal and got a lot of minutes his freshman year, got beat up a lot and lost a lot of games. But he worked his way up to #1 option on offense. Fran Mccaffery is likely pitching this blueprint and has produced players on 3 straight All American teams. And defense is not priority one at Iowa. Got to admit that is a pretty good pitch to have for a recruit.

BilliesBy40 likes this

48 minutes ago, Matty Light said:

No, he legitimately could get the same scenario at Iowa. That's not smoke. The question is whether he can thrive in the B1G. Garza had the same kind of arsenal and got a lot of minutes his freshman year, got beat up a lot and lost a lot of games. But he worked his way up to #1 option on offense. Fran Mccaffery is likely pitching this blueprint and has produced players on 3 straight All American teams. And defense is not priority one at Iowa. Got to admit that is a pretty good pitch to have for a recruit.

I have great respect for what McCaffery has done at Iowa.  Part of that success can be attributed to the big men he signed who were physically ready to endure the punishment you take in that conference. 

Turnbull is about 215.  Tyler Cook and Luke Garza were already 240-250 lb when they showed up on campus.  In the the A10, lean bigs can still contribute even as they're building the bodies.  

Matty Light likes this

2 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I have great respect for what McCaffrey has done at Iowa.  Part of that success can be attributed to the big men he signed who were physically ready to endure the punishment you take in that conference. 

Turnbull is about 215.  Tyler Cook and Luke Garza were already 240-250 lb when they showed up on campus.  In the the A10, lean bigs can still contribute even as they're building the bodies.  

That's largely my point. It's a whole different ballgame in the B1G where you will regularly see guys 6'11 and 250 lbs. If he is capable of defending those guys (at least half the time with success) he will likely be a successful B1G player. If he's a total mouse in the house, he will have more success in the A10 which has a scarcity of huge bigs. If he can't handle those guys early in his career he will be recruited over at Iowa. They will have at least 4 scholarships next year assuming Kris Murray returns after his NBA evaluation.

10 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

I’ve read this board for years and have never asked - what does MBM stand for?