Recruiting - 2022

Pistol

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

Sounds like someone could be in line for a Presidential Scholarship at his father's alma mater.

a presidential scholarship does not give you time to play sports.   i've been on that committee in the past plus my daughter was up for it her senior year of h.s. a award winner of such has duties beyond maintaining that high gpa that would not allow one to be on a slu sports team.  

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

a presidential scholarship does not give you time to play sports.   i've been on that committee in the past plus my daughter was up for it her senior year of h.s. a award winner of such has duties beyond maintaining that high gpa that would not allow one to be on a slu sports team.  

Really?  My wife had the Presidential Scholarship, and I don't remember the requirements being very much at all.  That was, I have to admit, a long time ago.  She has also been on the alumni committee that interviews the students.  They have asked me a few times, but I think that one of the two of us doing it is enough.  Perhaps they have added new duties that weren't in place in the past.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

Didn’t Eckerle attend SLU on a Presidential Scholarship?

5 hours ago, bauman said:

Lots of questions on this and/or other threads about open scholarships. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think we have - as of this moment, 7 returning roster players : Yuri, Gibson, Terrence, Fred T (although not sure he is coming back), Traore, Francis O, and Javonte (hopefully).  Add 3 committed newcomers.  Placeholder for J Nezz (assuming we need to accept him back if he decides to do so.  Not sure if we need to do this?).  This leaves at least 2 open scholarships for the staff to go get. 

A decent size 4/5 spot player and a Combo PG/SG.

Actually, the JN question brings up another point.  When a player goes into the transfer portal do we need to hold their spot on the roster since they have not said they aren't coming back, just that they are looking at other options.  I would hope that a player entering his name in the portal would relieve the school of any commitment to hold a spot for that player, but I'm not certain of that. 

Did JN enter the transfer portal? I missed that. 

16 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

Really?  My wife had the Presidential Scholarship, and I don't remember the requirements being very much at all.  That was, I have to admit, a long time ago.  She has also been on the alumni committee that interviews the students.  They have asked me a few times, but I think that one of the two of us doing it is enough.  Perhaps they have added new duties that weren't in place in the past.

we were told when my daughter was up for it, 1.  must keep the high GPA.   2.  she would have had to serve as an ambassador for SLU.   showing students around, attending dinners and luncheons, etc.

there were some other stuff but those, particularly the ambassador stuff that really stuck out, and basically said there wouldnt be a lot of free time.  

Looks like with players leaving the Bills via the portal and NBA trials, and the still not determined Perkins staying or leaving decision Travis Ford should have additions to make to the 2022-23 roster. One would hope that he will add at least a big and another guard. Be interesting to see who he brings into next years mix.

14 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Yes.  I have heard 3 names so far that they have set their sights on.  Two have already been mentioned in the forum.  

Coach, I can only assume when you say "mentioned in this forum" you mean my post a few up.  Right?  🤩

44 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Yes.  I have heard 3 names so far that they have set their sights on.  Two have already been mentioned in the forum.  

My official wild guesses based on absolutely nothing: Malachi Smith at Chattanooga (he's really friendly with JGood) and Davion Bradford at K State

13 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

My official wild guesses based on absolutely nothing: Malachi Smith at Chattanooga (he's really friendly with JGood) and Davion Bradford at K State

Malachi Smith would be the best possible transfer we could get. That would feel too good to be true

SShoe likes this

17 minutes ago, NH said:

Malachi Smith would be the best possible transfer we could get. That would feel too good to be true

i will say that malachi smith would fit the request for a combo guard that could spell yuri at the point.   for those that dont know it, he was ej liddell's point guard ej's junior year at belleville west when west won the illinois state championship the first time. 

I just don't see Malachi coming here tbh.  Unlike a Jones, its not like this will be his chance to play on a march madness team.  And he'll see a reduction in minutes from his 2022 year.  I could see him getting close to 20 MPG, but thats still 15 less than what he saw this year. 

Just now, wgstl said:

I just don't see Malachi coming here tbh.  Unlike a Jones, its not like this will be his chance to play on a march madness team.  And he'll see a reduction in minutes from his 2022 year.  I could see him getting close to 20 MPG, but thats still 15 less than what he saw this year. 

Really? I actually think he would get 30+ minutes a game. I would go as far as to say he’d be a top 5-10 player in the A10

8 minutes ago, NH said:

Really? I actually think he would get 30+ minutes a game. I would go as far as to say he’d be a top 5-10 player in the A10

Ya I guess now that im thinking about the numbers, he'd probably get 20 as a guard and 8-10 more as backup PG. 

- Is parker more of a pure SG like Gibby?  Thinking Parkers minutes would come from Gibson and Perkins, and less from the CG position