Recruiting - 2022

Pistol

39 minutes ago, NH said:

I hope Ford is not demanding anything. Javonte has been an important player for this program and I hope they are working together to decide what is best for Javonte.

Keep in mind if Ford took your approach and “demanded” a decision, but Javonte wasn’t ready, he would always have the option to transfer to another school. I have to imagine the vast majority of programs would love to add a player like that in the transfer portal.

I have always thought that this was a third option that no one on this board was willing to consider.  Everyone seems to think his choices are come back to SLU or go pro.  The reality is that, if he wanted to, I think there are many teams that would take him for next year.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, MichaelC said:

It's all speculation, but no, I don't think a team would spent a draft pick on a player coming back from injury who hasn't had a chance to show that they're healthy. However, NBA scouts had a grade on Javonte coming into this season and it's safe to assume that grade did not change based on the injury so a FA deal could be a possibility. If for example a team had him as a developmental player who needs 2 years in the G-League why wouldn't that still be the case?

Throw in the fact that he's 24 and it's even less attractive to draft him.  

1 hour ago, NH said:

I hope Ford is not demanding anything. Javonte has been an important player for this program and I hope they are working together to decide what is best for Javonte.

Keep in mind if Ford took your approach and “demanded” a decision, but Javonte wasn’t ready, he would always have the option to transfer to another school. I have to imagine the vast majority of programs would love to add a player like that in the transfer portal.

The final option, he could join the Globetrotters. You think they don’t need silky smooth moves? Think again. :) But honestly everyone, try not to break your minds thinking through the possible scenarios.

3 hours ago, slu72 said:

From the rehab timeline posted on here, it doesn’t seem he’ll be a go for any of the NBA evaluation trials, camps and individual team assessments. Does anyone think he’ll get picked in round 2 or offered a FA deal? I think he’s going to have to come back. 

No way he get's drafted.

Schasz and billiken_roy like this

Just now, wgstl said:

"On3 caught up with Diaz as he walked off the floor after putting up 33 points on seven made threes"

I would do anything to have a tall European shoot 3's.......hmm

37 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I would 100% take either Diaz twin. Two fluid borderline 7-footers who move, handle it, pass, and shoot from anywhere? Yes, please. How about both?

They look like Rob Loe clones in highlight videos… but maybe more mobile with a bit of handle… can we sign them both up now?

I do wonder if there is a right or wrong way to determine how to load your team up. Meaning I wonder if loading up on 3-4 three star HS recruits is risky with the portal, and maybe the 2 HS kids we have coming in are as many as we should ever have in one class. 

I do not mean just this year, but from now on, just seems like maybe 1 HS kid is enough.

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

Sounds like someone could be in line for a Presidential Scholarship at his father's alma mater.

I mean, yeah he'd definitely make it if he didn't get an athletic scholarship, his credentials are out the wazoo and he has the connections (unfortunately the most important part as I found out that weekend).

Lots of questions on this and/or other threads about open scholarships. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think we have - as of this moment, 7 returning roster players : Yuri, Gibson, Terrence, Fred T (although not sure he is coming back), Traore, Francis O, and Javonte (hopefully).  Add 3 committed newcomers.  Placeholder for J Nezz (assuming we need to accept him back if he decides to do so.  Not sure if we need to do this?).  This leaves at least 2 open scholarships for the staff to go get. 

A decent size 4/5 spot player and a Combo PG/SG.

Actually, the JN question brings up another point.  When a player goes into the transfer portal do we need to hold their spot on the roster since they have not said they aren't coming back, just that they are looking at other options.  I would hope that a player entering his name in the portal would relieve the school of any commitment to hold a spot for that player, but I'm not certain of that. 

1 minute ago, bauman said:

Lots of questions on this and/or other threads about open scholarships. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think we have - as of this moment, 7 returning roster players : Yuri, Gibson, Terrence, Fred T (although not sure he is coming back), Traore, Francis O, and Javonte (hopefully).  Add 3 committed newcomers.  Placeholder for J Nezz (assuming we need to accept him back if he decides to do so.  Not sure if we need to do this?).  This leaves at least 2 open scholarships for the staff to go get. 

Fred's already said he's coming back

bauman likes this

54 minutes ago, BuiltFordBills said:

I think most people have been implying Ford will fill our recent openings with the transfer portal, any good fits for uncommitted HS Seniors? 

Not a lot of names left on our Verbalcommits offer page.

I want the 6-11 Spanish twins. As will a lot of college coaches, I’d expect them to blow up soon