Recruiting - 2022

Pistol

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

If Javonte comes back next year, we are top 25 at least. Imo if we have Javonte this year we are top 25, but not having him this year has allowed GJim to really take a step forward and I think Nesbit will to before the year is up. 

Even with JP we aren't very big. That was going to be an issue with him i the lineup this year also. He is a great player but I think Dayton exposed our vulnerability to athletic size.  I still would like to see us hit the transfer portal and find an A10 level serviceable power forward.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, shempie said:

Even with JP we aren't very big. That was going to be an issue with him i the lineup this year also. He is a great player but I think Dayton exposed our vulnerability to athletic size.  I still would like to see us hit the transfer portal and find an A10 level serviceable power forward.

I hope next season they just outscore the bigger teams with the addition of Perkins and Parker and an improved Nesbitt.

Bombs away on the perimeter to take away the advantage of a bigger team.

Against Dayton there were too many scoring dry spells to offset their size.

I would like another point guard to help out Yuri.

23 minutes ago, shempie said:

Our major vulnerability in that game, as in most of our losses, is any team that has the ability to collapse on Yuri turns our offense into a turnover-fest.  It doesn't make any difference if you have another athletic big if Yuri can't get the ball to them in the first place.  Perkins solves the secondary ball-handling problem and has the mid-range game to punish defenses that Yuri doesn't.

7 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Our major vulnerability in that game, as in most of our losses, is any team that has the ability to collapse on Yuri turns our offense into a turnover-fest.  It doesn't make any difference if you have another athletic big if Yuri can't get the ball to them in the first place.  Perkins solves the secondary ball-handling problem and has the mid-range game to punish defenses that Yuri doesn't.

Even with the lack of secondary ball handlers we have not done a good job of putting players in a position to help Yuri out. Many times this year he’s been doubled and left out on an island to die

41 minutes ago, shempie said:

Here are the starting power forwards / 4 men / whatever one prefers to call them in the A10:

Sam Mennenga, Toumani Camara, Makhel Mitchell, Jalen Adaway, Vince Williams, Nathan Cayo, Taylor Funk, Kevin Easley, D’Shawn Schwartz, Trent Buttrick.

There are some good players on that list that I would take on SLU. But is there really anyone there that Hargrove/Nesbitt/Perkins couldn’t guard? Or is there anyone there that would be a significant upgrade over Hargrove/Perkins/Nesbitt if they came to SLU? I’m not so sure.

I agree that I would love to land a big man who can play alongside Okoro and provide length, rebounding and shooting. But I think it’s going to be tough to find someone in the transfer portal that is an upgrade over the guys we currently have there.

10 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Even with the lack of secondary ball handlers we have not done a good job of putting players in a position to help Yuri out. Many times this year he’s been doubled and left out on an island to die

Even when someone does step up and receive the ball from Yuri, they either advance the ball a couple of dribbles and get trapped themselves or pass it right back to Yuri.  Nobody other than Nesbitt has the ability to take the ball and make a play.  And he's erratic in that area, as you would expect a freshman to be.

slufanskip likes this

6 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Even when someone does step up and receive the ball from Yuri, they either advance the ball a couple of dribbles and get trapped themselves or pass it right back to Yuri.  Nobody other than Nesbitt has the ability to take the ball and make a play.  And he's erratic in that area, as you would expect a freshman to be.

i agree. 

5 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

You don't think GJ can do this?

51 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Cardinal Ritter's 6'8 forward Robert Lewis has been lights out for a month now.  In five of his last six games, he's scored 30 or more.  He's set himself for a major re-evaluation by local schools as we approach the final stretch of the season:

Can he rebound and protect the rim?

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

Cardinal Ritter's 6'8 forward Robert Lewis has been lights out for a month now.  In five of his last six games, he's scored 30 or more.  He's set himself for a major re-evaluation by local schools as we approach the final stretch of the season:

I've watched him at Ramey League for a couple years. Underrated but i think he's a d2 player.

1 minute ago, thetorch said:

I've watched him at Ramey League for a couple years. Underrated but i think he's a d2 player.

Lewis landed a couple of low major offers right before his current streak.  Over the last month he's showing more ballhandling and perimeter accuracy than I've seen before.  And he's always been active on the glass.  If a regular ol' MBM like me has noticed his spike in production, I'm sure the local schools have.

I'm putting him in the Luke Northweather category.  He's an in-state guy that's worth keeping an eye on.  Maybe he tears it up at a lower level and hits the portal in a few years.

2 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Mckissic was a SLUH guy, right? Was Love under the radar?

Love was not under the radar. I think he’s referring to Jordan Barnes, who ended up going to Indiana State.

On 1/22/2022 at 5:19 PM, 3star_recruit said:

Lewis landed a couple of low major offers right before his current streak.  Over the last month he's showing more ballhandling and perimeter accuracy than I've seen before.  And he's always been active on the glass.  If a regular ol' MBM like me has noticed his spike in production, I'm sure the local schools have.

I'm putting him in the Luke Northweather category.  He's an in-state guy that's worth keeping an eye on.  Maybe he tears it up at a lower level and hits the portal in a few years.

So, just skip to some parts where they are playing. He is certainly a fluid athlete that can run the floor. He does not have the strength to be a 5, but maybe a 4. Is he a legit 6’8”? If the coaching staff has an open school ie in the spring, then he would be a good fall back option.