Recruiting - 2022

Pistol

55 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-I've not seen them play yet this season, is he good enough for the BEast?

That's a tough question. Right now it looks like a stretch to me, and if Butler indeed has a committable offer and he takes it, he might be going for that reach school. He has some of the tools and measurables, as a 6-6 kid with range, but I can't imagine him seeing the floor much as a freshman. He needs to add to his frame and work on building out his game, and maybe he could get there over the long term. He's also not having a great senior year at CBC, averaging 8.9 PPG with just a 29% FG% (21% from 3). So he hasn't found his stroke yet this season and that's supposed to be his calling card. Both Robert Martin and Mikhail Abdul-Hamid have proven to be more reliable, higher-volume threats from 3 this season for CBC.

Speaking of Martin, I was just texting with @TheChosenOne and he was wondering why more Valley-level programs aren't all over him and I completely agree. I like him every time I watch him, and he's scoring 17.7 PPG to go with 5.4 APG, he's over 40% from 3. He gives up size most games and manages to be a solid defender, too. I'm not sure if his SLU offer is committable or if he wants to sit behind Collins for a couple years, but I wouldn't hesitate to offer him if I were at any program below our level.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Pistol said:

That's a tough question. Right now it looks like a stretch to me, and if Butler indeed has a committable offer and he takes it, he might be going for that reach school. He has some of the tools and measurables, as a 6-6 kid with range, but I can't imagine him seeing the floor much as a freshman. He needs to add to his frame and work on building out his game, and maybe he could get there over the long term. He's also not having a great senior year at CBC, averaging 8.9 PPG with just a 29% FG% (21% from 3). So he hasn't found his stroke yet this season and that's supposed to be his calling card. Both Robert Martin and Mikhail Abdul-Hamid have proven to be more reliable, higher-volume threats from 3 this season for CBC.

Speaking of Martin, I was just texting with @TheChosenOne and he was wondering why more Valley-level programs aren't all over him and I completely agree. I like him every time I watch him, and he's scoring 17.7 PPG to go with 5.4 APG, he's over 40% from 3. He gives up size most games and manages to be a solid defender, too. I'm not sure if his SLU offer is committable or if he wants to sit behind Collins for a couple years, but I wouldn't hesitate to offer him if I were at any program below our level.

It's going to take years before high school kids are recruited at the level they were before the COVID free year, if ever.  Slightly built little guys like Martin will be the ones most affected.

Pistol and billiken_roy like this

23 minutes ago, Pistol said:

The issue with Martin is that he needs the ball in his hands to be effective. To me, those types of players always feel under-recruited because they require such a specific fit.

He has a lot of Deandre Jones to his game and I could see him doing well in that type of role.

5 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

The 2022 brother, a 6'3" PG rated two stars, has offers from Pittsburgh State and South Alabama.  

This just means the Wright brothers are flying under the radar.

willie likes this

11 hours ago, thetorch said:

Nade knocked off CBC in OT. BJ Ward led with 23.

I guess this gives me a good reason to wear my THE NADE hoodie today (not often a near 40 year old man can comfortably wear a high school hoodie)! A big week for Coach Bennett and the crew with wins over De Smet and CBC. The MCC is going to get real interesting. I still need to get out to see Kramer play at SLUH.

Pistol likes this

On 1/5/2022 at 10:22 AM, 3star_recruit said:

It's going to take years before high school kids are recruited at the level they were before the COVID free year, if ever.  Slightly built little guys like Martin will be the ones most affected.

@3star_recruit, do you think Martin could play in the A10? Could he serve as Yuri’s backup for a year or two and then take over the starting PG spot?

24 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

@3star_recruit, do you think Martin could play in the A10? Could he serve as Yuri’s backup for a year or two and then take over the starting PG spot?

I always hear these scenarios about backup apprenticeships but in real life it's hard to pull off.  Your starting point guard plays 30+ minutes a game if he's really good. Playing 8 minutes a game does not prepare the backup to take over the team. 

What actually happens is that kid gets recruited over.  Why would I hand the keys to him, when I can get a kid with a similar skill set who has been playing 30 minutes a game at a lower mid-major?

1 hour ago, almaman said:

They should have them play @ our crib before game🤓

Great idea.  More tickets sold for the Bulls game.  More money spent on parking and concessions.  Exposing people to your product that might come back at a later date.  But this is forward out of the box thinking.  It would never happen here.

Martin is really intriguing kid. He doesn’t have that one great stand out skill like Yuri does that I would normally like in a recruit that is shorter, but he does everything well and he just gets it done.  He has done that for four years and all while being a year younger than everyone else in his class. I think that is just amazing for a kid to do at a program like CBC.

You watch him and put his size out of your mind, you are convinced that the kid would be a winner at a program like SLU.  I would take him, but I’ve been a Martin fan since his freshman year.  I’m probably not the best guy to make that call.  His floor is higher than some kids we have signed recently, but his ceiling is lower than those same kids.  My big fear if SLU took him would be is he close to being maxed out as a player? My big fear if we passed on him would be him going to a program like SIU and him being one of those STL kids they build a great program around again.

44 minutes ago, Slowry said:

Great idea.  More tickets sold for the Bulls game.  More money spent on parking and concessions.  Exposing people to your product that might come back at a later date.  But this is forward out of the box thinking.  It would never happen here.

Would it be considered a NCAA rules violation?

47 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Martin is really intriguing kid. He doesn’t have that one great stand out skill like Yuri does that I would normally like in a recruit that is shorter, but he does everything well and he just gets it done.  He has done that for four years and all while being a year younger than everyone else in his class. I think that is just amazing for a kid to do at a program like CBC.

You watch him and put his size out of your mind, you are convinced that the kid would be a winner at a program like SLU.  I would take him, but I’ve been a Martin fan since his freshman year.  I’m probably not the best guy to make that call.  His floor is higher than some kids we have signed recently, but his ceiling is lower than those same kids.  My big fear if SLU took him would be is he close to being maxed out as a player? My big fear if we passed on him would be him going to a program like SIU and him being one of those STL kids they build a great program around again.

He'd have to have an offer from SIU first.  Even the Valley isn't offering slightly built little guys out of high school because the free COVID year makes proven college guards readily available.  High school kids who would normally be headed to SIU or Missouri State have low-major offer lists instead.  

SLU and other high mid-majors can use that to their advantage and focus on them when these kids enter the transfer portal in a couple of years.  We would represent a step up from their present situation.

Just noticed Romar pulled Columbia MO native and younger Porter brother Jevon PF 6'10 now #78 ranked to Pepperdine.  Porter's love some Romar.  Big get for the Waves.

Too bad that kind of recruit never materialized at SLU during Romar's time.

35 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Just noticed Romar pulled Columbia MO native and younger Porter brother Jevon PF 6'10 now #78 ranked to Pepperdine.  Porter's love some Romar.  Big get for the Waves.

Too bad that kind of recruit never materialized at SLU during Romar's time.

Romar got a commitment from Ryan Hollins, but then he left for Washington.  SLU released Hollins from his LOI.  he went to UCLA and then played in the NBA for a number of years.

30 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Romar got a commitment from Ryan Hollins, but then he left for Washington.  SLU released Hollins from his LOI.  he went to UCLA and then played in the NBA for a number of years.

I know, never materialized at SLU we were 1 year off.  Could've been a game changer.  So far we've been on the cusp, so close to a breakthrough player or season.  I'm ready for 1 so bad. It's not looking like it'll be this year but you never know only got to get hot in March at conference and NCAAs for it to be a special season.

34 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I know, never materialized at SLU we were 1 year off.  Could've been a game changer.  So far we've been on the cusp, so close to a breakthrough player or season.  I'm ready for 1 so bad. It's not looking like it'll be this year but you never know only got to get hot in March at conference and NCAAs for it to be a special season.

If Javonte comes back next year, we are top 25 at least. Imo if we have Javonte this year we are top 25, but not having him this year has allowed GJim to really take a step forward and I think Nesbit will to before the year is up. 

1 hour ago, TheA_Bomb said:

37 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

If Javonte comes back next year, we are top 25 at least. Imo if we have Javonte this year we are top 25, but not having him this year has allowed GJim to really take a step forward and I think Nesbit will to before the year is up. 

-we have been so, so close that I have imagined what our breakout would do for the program and The U, that goes a long way as to why these numerous kicks to the midsection are so hurtful and frustrating

slufanskip likes this