Recruiting - 2022

Pistol

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

What are the chances that Jimmy Bell was "farmed" out to get some real playing time?  And what if he is so thankful for the SLU help, he comes back next year?  Discuss ......

What are the chances we traded Jimmy Bell for Sincere Parker?  Maybe we threw in some basketballs and and one of those rebounding baskets.

37 minutes ago, thetorch said:

What are the chances we traded Jimmy Bell for Sincere Parker?  Maybe we threw in some basketballs and and one of those rebounding baskets.

The old “weight lifting machine to be named later” move? 

16 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

And kshoe thinks I can divert a topic ..... washing machines, weight machines, basketballs .....  Tom Frericks went D1 (UAB)-JUCO-D1(SLU).  Why not Bell?  Why not us?

Because Jimmy leaving hurts our team for this current year, even if he wouldn’t have played much. If Okoro/Linssen get hurt or in foul trouble, we’re in big trouble right now. Or if we play a team and think we need two big men to match up, our options are limited. 

No coaching staff is sending a player away if they think they can use that player this season, especially when we did not need the scholarship. Not to mention in Corey Tate’s interview with Frank Cusamano he indicated that Jimmy leaving was sudden / a surprise.

SLU_Lax likes this

i disagree.  while i was greatly excited and intrigued about the potential of jimmy, it was obvious the coaching staff had passed him by with linssen and the floor time was going to be even less.   if the both in foul trouble scenario comes up then throw this traore or lorentson into the fire.   

i like taj's idea of sending jimmy to the minors for increased playing time and experience and then bringing him back.   who knows maybe it was Ford's idea to stash him there a year. 

dennis_w, drkelsey55 and HenryB like this

18 minutes ago, NH said:

Because Jimmy leaving hurts our team for this current year, even if he wouldn’t have played much. If Okoro/Linssen get hurt or in foul trouble, we’re in big trouble right now. Or if we play a team and think we need two big men to match up, our options are limited. 

No coaching staff is sending a player away if they think they can use that player this season, especially when we did not need the scholarship. Not to mention in Corey Tate’s interview with Frank Cusamano he indicated that Jimmy leaving was sudden / a surprise.

Ford has said on multiple occasions that Bell is really good and just needs to get playing minutes so that he can make the leap to a higher level player. Bell did not play much at that prep school. I definitely could see Ford sending him down to develop, knowing that he could lose him, instead of having him slowly develop 5 minutes per game again. It is in Bell’s best interests, and Bell probably would transfer next year if he felt the coaching staff was just using him for their own interests (see Okoro in Oregon).

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

i disagree.  while i was greatly excited and intrigued about the potential of jimmy, it was obvious the coaching staff had passed him by with linssen and the floor time was going to be even less.   if the both in foul trouble scenario comes up then throw this traore or lorentson into the fire.   

i like taj's idea of sending jimmy to the minors for increased playing time and experience and then bringing him back.   who knows maybe it was Ford's idea to stash him there a year. 

I am intrigued by the academic side of Bell’s movement to JC. He (should) have two full years of credits at SLU and now will be heading to JC. Will any credits he earns transfer back to SLU or any D1 school?  I’m not aware that JC’s have Junior level course work but I really haven’t looked. 

i truly hope Mr. Bell can earn his Bachelors degree in 4 years. 

1 hour ago, NH said:

As far as the bolded, we're in big trouble if those two guys are on the bench regardless of who the third guy is.  Bell averaged 1.9 ppg and 1.8 rpg in 9 mpg.  Do we really expect that much of a drop off from whoever the third guy is this year?

billiken_roy and bauman like this

1 hour ago, NH said:

Coachspeak 101 from Tate

bauman likes this

Coachspeak?  What the hell is that, Hossier Pal?

@ 3star --- Bell went from 31 games, 14,5 mpg, 3.8 ppg, and 3.1 rpg his freshman year to the numbers you stated along with 19 games played, and 8.8 mpg his sophomore year.  Now a dear old friend of mine who shall remain nameless used to tell me guys got better by just being in the system longer.  But not here.  Still, what happened?  What massive transgression befell Jimmy to see his number drop so significantly from year One to year Two?  I don't know but am just curious.  Linssen?  Linssen took 11.9 mpg and that plus Bell's brings it back to Jimmy's freshman year numbers.  The roster was essentially the same.  

There's a question that should be asked of the staff if they podcast or interview or whatever.  What happened in the grand disappearance of Jimmy Bell, Jr.  Not that it matters but curious minds would like to know.  COVID?  Malcontent?  Development?  Attitude?  Injury?  Matchups?  Don't know.

3 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

@ 3star --- Bell went from 31 games, 14,5 mpg, 3.8 ppg, and 3.1 rpg his freshman year to the numbers you stated along with 19 games played, and 8.8 mpg his sophomore year.  Now a dear old friend of mine who shall remain nameless used to tell me guys got better by just being in the system longer.  But not here.  Still, what happened?  What massive transgression befell Jimmy to see his number drop so significantly from year One to year Two?  I don't know but am just curious.  Linssen?  Linssen took 11.9 mpg and that plus Bell's brings it back to Jimmy's freshman year numbers.  The roster was essentially the same.  

There's a question that should be asked of the staff if they podcast or interview or whatever.  What happened in the grand disappearance of Jimmy Bell, Jr.  Not that it matters but curious minds would like to know.  COVID?  Malcontent?  Development?  Attitude?  Injury?  Matchups?  Don't know.

Look at the pace that we were running in the first half of the year and I think you'll find the answer to your question.

40 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I am intrigued by the academic side of Bell’s movement to JC. He (should) have two full years of credits at SLU and now will be heading to JC. Will any credits he earns transfer back to SLU or any D1 school?  I’m not aware that JC’s have Junior level course work but I really haven’t looked. 

i truly hope Mr. Bell can earn his Bachelors degree in 4 years. 

HoosierPal, I  think that depends on the academic goals of Jimmy Bell. For example, let's say Bell has become convinced that there a future career in basketball may not work out for him, and therefore wants to change his academic major (this is just hypothetical of course). If this is the case he may have to take a number of more basic courses in certain specific areas to fill the requirements of the new major. These are courses that may be offered by Junior Colleges and credit may be transferable to SLU. As with everything, the details are important, Junior College may have his uses for JImmy Bell other than increased minutes of basketball play and faster development.

45 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

As far as the bolded, we're in big trouble if those two guys are on the bench regardless of who the third guy is.  Bell averaged 1.9 ppg and 1.8 rpg in 9 mpg.  Do we really expect that much of a drop off from whoever the third guy is this year?

That depends on whether there is a third guy. I think Jimmy Bell Jr. playing center in a pinch is better than TJ Hargrove or Javonte Perkins having to play center in a pinch. I doubt Traore will be ready to play those minutes but who knows. Hopefully it never comes up and we never find out.

42 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Linssen happened 

almaman likes this

24 minutes ago, NH said:

That depends on whether there is a third guy. I think Jimmy Bell Jr. playing center in a pinch is better than TJ Hargrove or Javonte Perkins having to play center in a pinch. I doubt Traore will be ready to play those minutes but who knows. Hopefully it never comes up and we never find out.

Did you think freshman Jimmy Bell was ready to play rotation minutes after being a bench player for his prep team?  Traore has a similar resume.

billiken_roy likes this

19 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Did you think freshman Jimmy Bell was ready to play rotation minutes after being a bench player for his prep team?  Traore has a similar resume.

That's kind of a different question. I don't want to go into it too much because I don't want to sound dismissive of, who I hope is a good player and look forward to seeing play and develop at SLU. 

Big men who are ready to play immediately are rarely uncommitted in August of their prep school year, which I'm sure you know as well as I do. Jimmy was more highly recruited than Traore likely because he was bigger and seen as more ready to play from day one. To answer your original question, I was indeed surprised at how much he played as a freshman.

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

After Bell's Freshman season he was excited about returning and looking to improve.  The coaching staff spent that summer recruiting other big men and telling them that the minutes Bell received were out of necessity.  That there would be minutes available backing up and potentially playing alongside French.  Linssen signed.  This year,  there are a lot of wing players who would have been higher on the depth chart than Bell that you have to find minutes for.  The writing was on the wall.  The only surprise was how long Bell waited to transfer.

33 minutes ago, NH said:

That's kind of a different question. I don't want to go into it too much because I don't want to sound dismissive of, who I hope is a good player and look forward to seeing play and develop at SLU. 

Big men who are ready to play immediately are rarely uncommitted in August of their prep school year, which I'm sure you know as well as I do. Jimmy was more highly recruited than Traore likely because he was bigger and seen as more ready to play from day one. To answer your original question, I was indeed surprised at how much he played as a freshman.

But Traore won’t be asked to play from day 1. The only way Traore plays any significant minutes, at least initially, is if something bad happens. 

Bell was signed as a project.  He was given minutes his freshman year.  Those minutes, and the lesser minutes he got his sophomore year, proved that he was just not quick enough to succeed in most college programs, including ours.

That's what project big men are.  You take a chance to see if they pan out.  He didn't.  Traore is the next one.  Plug Traore into that spot and the worst you get is a slight drop off.  The best you get early on is a slight improvement.  Either way, it is not much different.  What we are hoping for with Traore is incremental improvement so that he is a contributor by his junior season.  Bell just wasn't going to be that upper classman contributor that we were hoping for when we took a flyer on him.