Recruiting - 2022

Pistol

Your 5 star do-everything forward has to make a better basketball play than dribbling out the clock and tossing it to your double-teamed 3 star shooting guard with under 2 seconds left.  As other posters have pointed out, this isn't a one-time thing, putting his head down and forcing the issue is a feature of Miller's game.  Until he can correct his tunnel vision, he'll be hard-pressed to live up to his ranking in college.

Props to the BBE kids for taking the best team in the tournament down to the wire.  They scrapped and clawed all game.  Just came up a bit short.

CBFan and Pistol like this

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched all but 2 or 3 games of BBE's EYBL-Peach Jam run and think people are being a little hard on Miller. His decision making was poor at times, notably in that final play, he needs work on his perimeter game, and he's too inconsistent. Even so, when he's even a little bit on, he's almost impossible to stop. There were several games he put away by himself.

Smith made the leap from fringe-top 50 or borderline 4-star/5-star player to more like a top-25, definite 5-star in my book. He was awesome over the past couple weeks.

As for our guys, I think @3star_recruit is right. They're solid 3-stars who might never get their due in the rankings. That's fine.

Kramer ended up being .342 from 3 over 15 games and 5 makes away from being over 40%. I would've liked to see a few more of those go in and some of his poorer shooting games came from him missing one early and forcing things. He really was a 3-and-D guy in this event and on this roster, whereas he's more versatile on his SLUH team, where he's the key player. So I'm interested to see him play in that setting, when he's playing big minutes, expected to do more things, drawing double teams, etc. Even with less efficiency than I'd have wanted from him, it's not hard to see how he translates - he shoots in a variety of ways (going any direction, comfortable off the dribble), he's got a big, strong frame, he defends on the ball at a high level, he's tough and fearless. I think he has work to do off the ball defensively, positioning himself for rebounds, building out his skill set offensively, but none of that stuff scares me off him as a prospect.

Thames began the event way more timid than he ended up being down the stretch in the Peach Jam. He went from passing when he had uncontested layups to calling for the ball by the end. His 3-point shooting wasn't great (3-18) but in the last few games he was taking really good shots and they just weren't falling. He's a good rebounder despite his slim frame; he was 5th on the team in total rebounds despite being more like 8th in minutes. There's some rawness to his game - he looks like a guy who has grown very quickly and is continuing to grow - but he's a smart player who puts himself in good position at both ends. He's really active all over the floor. He's another guy who plays a totally different role on his HS team (where he has a better supporting cast than Kramer does) and who will be interesting to watch this season. I think because of his shooting and physical tools, Kramer is probably more college ready right now, but Thames is a really strong long-term prospect.

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

I watched all but 2 or 3 games of BBE's EYBL-Peach Jam run and think people are being a little hard on Miller. His decision making was poor at times, notably in that final play, he needs work on his perimeter game, and he's too inconsistent. Even so, when he's even a little bit on, he's almost impossible to stop. There were several games he put away by himself.

Smith made the leap from fringe-top 50 or borderline 4-star/5-star player to more like a top-25, definite 5-star in my book. He was awesome over the past couple weeks.

As for our guys, I think @3star_recruit is right. They're solid 3-stars who might never get their due in the rankings. That's fine.

Kramer ended up being .342 from 3 over 15 games and 5 makes away from being over 40%. I would've liked to see a few more of those go in and some of his poorer shooting games came from him missing one early and forcing things. He really was a 3-and-D guy in this event and on this roster, whereas he's more versatile on his SLUH team, where he's the key player. So I'm interested to see him play in that setting, when he's playing big minutes, expected to do more things, drawing double teams, etc. Even with less efficiency than I'd have wanted from him, it's not hard to see how he translates - he shoots in a variety of ways (going any direction, comfortable off the dribble), he's got a big, strong frame, he defends on the ball at a high level, he's tough and fearless. I think he has work to do off the ball defensively, positioning himself for rebounds, building out his skill set offensively, but none of that stuff scares me off him as a prospect.

Thames began the event way more timid than he ended up being down the stretch in the Peach Jam. He went from passing when he had uncontested layups to calling for the ball by the end. His 3-point shooting wasn't great (3-18) but in the last few games he was taking really good shots and they just weren't falling. He's a good rebounder despite his slim frame; he was 5th on the team in total rebounds despite being more like 8th in minutes. There's some rawness to his game - he looks like a guy who has grown very quickly and is continuing to grow - but he's a smart player who puts himself in good position at both ends. He's really active all over the floor. He's another guy who plays a totally different role on his HS team (where he has a better supporting cast than Kramer does) and who will be interesting to watch this season. I think because of his shooting and physical tools, Kramer is probably more college ready right now, but Thames is a really strong long-term prospect.

Nice analysis. When you use the phrase "physical tools", what do you mean?

1 hour ago, Aquinas said:

Nice analysis. When you use the phrase "physical tools", what do you mean?

He's strong. He can come in and defend college guards today, physically speaking. I'm not saying he's an all-conference defender yet or that he couldn't still improve his footwork and quickness, just that he more than held his own against many of the most talented HS guards in the country and can do it at SLU's level. He's stronger than most of the players he faced and he's a total pest in terms of how willing he is to get his body right up on the ball handler. Majerus would love him.

Reinert310 likes this

I am not super high on Thames.  I see him as a role player but I think his floor is higher than some of his future teammates.  He has decent athleticism mixed with very good fundamentals.  I don't expect an all A10 performer in year 4 but he won't be a project either like Hargrove or Strickland were/are.  His basketball IQ and fundamentals are higher than those guys.  If he doesn't have a role his freshman year then our team is very very good. 

BilliesBy40 likes this

Keyon Menifield, Jr. - PG, 6-2, 165 - Flint, MI (The Skill Factory, GA) - AAU: The Family (Nike EYBL) - Twitter: @TheCh0sen0ne_
Offers: Saint Louis, St. Bonaventure, Massachusetts, Boston College, Washington, Toledo, Eastern Michigan, Cleveland State, New Mexico State.

Interest: Xavier, Marquette, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, Florida, Alabama, Missouri, Mississippi State, Arizona State, Cincinnati, South Florida, Utah State, Boise State, Loyola-Chicago, SIU-Carbondale, Illinois State, Morehead State, Eastern Kentucky, Ohio, Toledo, Western Michigan, Miami-Ohio, Northern Kentucky, Milwaukee, Detroit, Louisiana-Monroe, Jacksonville State, Holy Cross, Charleston, Iona, Canisius, North Dakota State, UMBC, NJIT, Stetson, South Carolina State, Jackson State, Alabama A&M.

Latest News: Menifield received an offer from SLU. (7/27/21)

Scouting Report: Menifield is a lead guard with elite scoring ability. He scores in bunches and on all three levels. He shoots very well off the dribble and finishes in the paint. He's got great handles, good vision, and dynamic playmaking ability. He graduated from Beecher HS in Michigan but reclassified and is taking a prep year at The Skill Factory in Georgia.

-He came out of nowhere to lead the EYBL in scoring. Led his HS team in MI to a state championship before graduating and then deciding to take a prep year.

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

Keyon Menifield, Jr. - PG, 6-2, 165 - Flint, MI (The Skill Factory, GA) - AAU: The Family (Nike EYBL) - Twitter: @TheCh0sen0ne_
Offers: Saint Louis, St. Bonaventure, Massachusetts, Boston College, Washington, Toledo, Eastern Michigan, Cleveland State, New Mexico State.

Interest: Xavier, Marquette, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, Florida, Alabama, Missouri, Mississippi State, Arizona State, Cincinnati, South Florida, Utah State, Boise State, Loyola-Chicago, SIU-Carbondale, Illinois State, Morehead State, Eastern Kentucky, Ohio, Toledo, Western Michigan, Miami-Ohio, Northern Kentucky, Milwaukee, Detroit, Louisiana-Monroe, Jacksonville State, Holy Cross, Charleston, Iona, Canisius, North Dakota State, UMBC, NJIT, Stetson, South Carolina State, Jackson State, Alabama A&M.

Latest News: Beecher received an offer from SLU. (7/27/21)

Scouting Report: Beecher is a lead guard with elite scoring ability. He scores in bunches and on all three levels. He shoots very well off the dribble and finishes in the paint. He's got great handles, good vision, and dynamic playmaking ability. He graduated from Beecher HS in Michigan but reclassified and is taking a prep year at The Skill Factory in Georgia.

-He came out of nowhere to lead the EYBL in scoring. Led his HS team in MI to a state championship before graduating and then deciding to take a prep year.

Just a heads-up that in two places you accidentally replaced the recruit's name with his high school's name.

1 hour ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Just a heads-up that in two places you accidentally replaced the recruit's name with his high school's name.

Fixed, thanks. When I update recruiting stuff, I tend to do so much at once that things blur.

Quion Williams cuts his list to nine: Cincinnati, Kansas State, Ole Miss, Oklahoma State, Oral Roberts, Saint Louis, TCU, Texas A&M, and Texas Tech. 

Per 247sports, the leaders in the clubhouse appear to be SLU, Oklahoma State and Texas A&M.

He'll likely visit those 3 and 2 others in the fall and commit shortly thereafter.

His quote about SLU: "Phil Forte texts and checks on me every day. When I went to the doctor to see about my knee injury, he recommended a doctor for me to go see. He is always there. Whenever I am playing in events, he is front row at every game. That is what I like about him and the program."

19 minutes ago, NH said:

Quion Williams cuts his list to nine: Cincinnati, Kansas State, Ole Miss, Oklahoma State, Oral Roberts, Saint Louis, TCU, Texas A&M, and Texas Tech. 

Per 247sports, the leaders in the clubhouse appear to be SLU, Oklahoma State and Texas A&M.

He'll likely visit those 3 and 2 others in the fall and commit shortly thereafter.

His quote about SLU: "Phil Forte texts and checks on me every day. When I went to the doctor to see about my knee injury, he recommended a doctor for me to go see. He is always there. Whenever I am playing in events, he is front row at every game. That is what I like about him and the program."

I like what I see on his videos. He appears to have a bit of Jordan Goodwin to his game. 

22 minutes ago, ACE said:

I like what I see on his videos. He appears to have a bit of Jordan Goodwin to his game. 

The best chance we have of getting top 150 players outside of the Missouri/Illinois area is to show them that the players they resemble have had success in our program.  Coach Ford and company will be recruiting old-school Bully Ballers for a long time.  As long as he complements them with shooters that can get their own shot, I've got no problem with that.

8 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

The best chance we have of getting top 150 players outside of the Missouri/Illinois area is to show them that the players they resemble have had success in our program.  Coach Ford and company will be recruiting old-school Bully Ballers for a long time.  As long as he complements them with shooters that can get their own shot, I've got no problem with that.

My compliments for the proper choice of spelling for complements. 😃

White Pelican and bauman like this

On 7/6/2021 at 9:43 AM, brianstl said:

From Rivals on Friday:

"The athletic 6-foot-5 wing collected scholarship offers from Georgia, Kansas State, Ole Miss and Oklahoma State since the weekend. Prior to the live periods, he held offers from Houston, TCU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech and several mid-major programs.

Since the dead period ended at the start of June, Williams visited Houston, Oklahoma State and TCU. He plans to visit Texas A&M this week."

"Williams doesn’t plan to commit any time soon as he’s still waiting to see which schools recruit him throughout the summer. Relationships will play the biggest role in his decision. At the moment, he said Houston and Saint Louis have done the best job recruiting him. Kelvin Sampson and assistant Kellen Sampson built a strong relationship early on and impressed him on his recent visit. Saint Louis assistant Phil Forte, who came up through the same travel program as Williams, has played a big part in getting the Billikens in the mix."

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/lone-star-state-product-quion-williams-is-a-rising-star

On 6/16/2021 at 10:47 PM, Pistol said:

Quion Williams - SF, 6-5, 185 - Mansfield, TX (Legacy) - AAU: Southern Assault (Adidas) - Twitter: @williams_quion
Offers: Saint Louis, Texas Tech, TCU, Texas A&M, Houston, Southeast Missouri, Cleveland State, Troy, Oral Roberts, Texas-Rio Grande Valley.

Interest: Creighton, Butler, Illinois, Minnesota, Penn State, Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Auburn, Arkansas, Georgia, Oregon, Arizona State, Utah, SMU, Tulsa, East Carolina, Wyoming, Gonzaga, Cornell, Northern Iowa, Murray State, North Texas, Louisiana Tech, Northern Illinois, Youngstown State, Sam Houston State, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, Lamar, Texas-Arlington, Georgia State, Central Arkansas, Texas State, Arkansas State, Iona, Montana State, Radford, Arkansas-Pine Bluff.

Latest News: Williams received an offer from SLU. (6/16/21)

Scouting Report: Williams is a tough, gritty, physical, athletic wing with an expanding skill set. He's a relentless defender. He's got a long, strong frame and excellent body control. He finishes hard through contact. He is from Jonesboro, Arkansas but transferred to Legacy HS in Mansfield, Texas before his junior year.

-bump

SLU showed some interest but didn't make his top five (Houston, Memphis, Alabama, LSU, Texas A&M):

Solomon Washington - SF, 6-7, 190 - New Orleans, LA (George Washington Carver) - AAU: Team Thad (Nike EYBL) - Twitter: @nolimitsa_
Offers: Creighton, LSU, Alabama, Texas A&M, Houston, Memphis, Tulane, McNeese State, Louisiana, New Orleans, Southern.

Interest: Saint Louis, Xavier, St. John's, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, Illinois, Baylor, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Missouri, Ole Miss, Vanderbilt, Arizona State, Utah, Cincinnati, Wichita State, Tulsa, East Carolina, Air Force, Loyola-Chicago, SIU-Carbondale, Murray State, Tennessee-Martin, East Tennessee State, UNC-Wilmington, Louisiana Tech, Middle Tennessee State, Southern Miss, UAB, Northern Kentucky, Lehigh, Stephen F. Austin, Georgia State, Albany, UC-Riverside, Jacksonville, Grambling State, Bethune-Cookman.

Latest News: Washington received an offer from Texas A&M. He visited Alabama. (7/2/21)

Scouting Report: Washington is a versatile, physical wing who plays hard at both ends. He's a threat to score anywhere inside the perimeter, and his outside shot is developing. He's very good in transition, finishes strong, and runs the floor well. He's a dominant rebounder and plays with a ton of energy. Rankings: Prep Hoops - 147, 247Sports - 145, 247Sports Composite - 154.

Lamar Washington - SG, 6-4, 215 - Portland, OR (Compass Prep, AZ) - AAU: Dream Vision (Adidas 3SSB) - Twitter: @1amarwashington
Offers: Saint Louis, Texas Tech, TCU, Washington State, Oregon State, Colorado State, Boise State, San Francisco, Pepperdine, Portland, Pacific, Montana State, Portland State, Eastern Washington, Bryant.

Interest: Dayton, Boston College, Ohio State, Illinois, Kansas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Oregon, Arizona, USC, Stanford, Utah, Houston, Tulsa, Nevada, Utah State, Saint Mary's, Princeton, Cornell, Columbia, Loyola-Chicago, Florida International, Northern Illinois, Louisiana-Monroe, North Dakota, Hawaii, UC-Irvine, UC-Santa Barbara, Cal Poly, Montana, Idaho, Seattle, Bethune Cookman.

Latest News: Washington received an offer from SLU. (8/4/21)

Scouting Report: Washington is a big, tough, left-handed guard who creates mismatches with his size and strength. He's a menacing defender. He's got a slightly unorthodox but consistent stroke with range. He's hard to stop, finishes at the rim, and rebounds. He sets the tone with his toughness, he's productive, and he does the little things. He's also an excellent passer. He transferred from Jefferson HS in Portland to AZ Compass Prep for his final season. Also a star linebacker with offers from power conference schools, he will not be playing this season but is open to playing in college.

-Helped Dream Vision to a Hoop Circuit Vegas Summer Championship title and had 28 in the title game. Led Dream Vision to a 3SSB title and won MVP. He won Gatorade POY for Oregon as a junior but he's heading to Compass Prep in Chandler, AZ for his senior year. He's also a 4-star linebacker recruit with a bunch of big-time offers, but he's not playing football this season. He has said he'd be open to playing both sports in college, though.

13 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Lamar Washington - SG, 6-4, 215 - Portland, OR (Compass Prep, AZ) - AAU: Dream Vision (Adidas 3SSB) - Twitter: @1amarwashington
Offers: Saint Louis, Texas Tech, TCU, Washington State, Oregon State, Colorado State, Boise State, San Francisco, Pepperdine, Portland, Pacific, Montana State, Portland State, Eastern Washington, Bryant.

Interest: Dayton, Boston College, Ohio State, Illinois, Kansas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Oregon, Arizona, USC, Stanford, Utah, Houston, Tulsa, Nevada, Utah State, Saint Mary's, Princeton, Cornell, Columbia, Loyola-Chicago, Florida International, Northern Illinois, Louisiana-Monroe, North Dakota, Hawaii, UC-Irvine, UC-Santa Barbara, Cal Poly, Montana, Idaho, Seattle, Bethune Cookman.

Latest News: Washington received an offer from SLU. (8/4/21)

Scouting Report: Washington is a big, tough, left-handed guard who creates mismatches with his size and strength. He's a menacing defender. He's got a slightly unorthodox but consistent stroke with range. He's hard to stop, finishes at the rim, and rebounds. He sets the tone with his toughness, he's productive, and he does the little things. He's also an excellent passer. He transferred from Jefferson HS in Portland to AZ Compass Prep for his final season. Also a star linebacker with offers from power conference schools, he will not be playing this season but is open to playing in college.

-Helped Dream Vision to a Hoop Circuit Vegas Summer Championship title and had 28 in the title game. Led Dream Vision to a 3SSB title and won MVP. He won Gatorade POY for Oregon as a junior but he's heading to Compass Prep in Chandler, AZ for his senior year. He's also a 4-star linebacker recruit with a bunch of big-time offers, but he's not playing football this season. He has said he'd be open to playing both sports in college, though.

It is interesting reading these scouting reports on a lot of the guards we've offered and thinking "hmmm, this guy sounds a lot like Jordan Goodwin".  Obviously that isn't a coincidence.  Ford is targeting players these type of guys because he values their skillset and also because he has the recent success story of Goodwin to sell to them (also Marcus Smart going further back which helped nab Goodwin).  Goodwin continuing success by eventually cracking the Wizards roster would do wonders for our recruiting these tough / physical guards.

TheA_Bomb likes this