Recruiting - 2022

Pistol

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Not  saying the above is true or is commonplace for all athletes but it makes for a head scratcher when you find our that four-year college players come out with a so-called degree but can't read, write or speak properly.  Ever catch an interview with Lamar Jackson of the Baltimore Ravens?  

I used to be equally confused when I would see business school majors that have no business sense and art  majors who can't draw.  But then I came to understand that college is the last stage of a 16 year process.  It's not some magic elixir. 

If you can pay the tuition or if you're useful to the college, you can get a college degree.  Welcome to capitalism.

The fact so much of Division 1 athletics is an academic joke infuriates me.   I have long preached that fixing the issues of college sports would be fixed with 100% efforts put into policing academics.   

Let the schools do whatever they want to incent athletes, however every athlete will qualify, every athlete will take legitimate classes and be on pace to graduate honestly.

I bet that would eliminate most of the problems because it would force coaches to recruit higher character athletes and it would encourage athletes prior to college to hit the books.

Just dont get the focus on skill.   College fans are about the name on the front not the back.   If that wasnt true everyone would be nfl and nba fans first and foremost as there is no argument those are the most talented athletes in the universe.

I also wish the athlete out of high school that would prefer to go pro immediately could do so.   They dont want to go to college fine.   But dont go through this one and done farce which ultimately is depriving an athlete down the line from getting a chance at a scholarship and a college education they really want.

dlarry and drkelsey55 like this

SLU's coaches were at the Missouri Basketball Showcase yesterday.

Turnbull's recruitment has been interesting. From 0 offers to Mizzou and Butler. I'm wondering when and if SLU will offer him and some of the other 2022 local kids who appear to be making a leap this spring/summer - Hampton, Kramer, and a few others.

19 minutes ago, Pistol said:

SLU's coaches were at the Missouri Basketball Showcase yesterday.

Turnbull's recruitment has been interesting. From 0 offers to Mizzou and Butler. I'm wondering when and if SLU will offer him and some of the other 2022 local kids who appear to be making a leap this spring/summer - Hampton, Kramer, and a few others.

Turnbull's high school coach is a big Mizzou booster so that may also explain why we're treading carefully here.  You don't want to go all in on a player unless you have a legitimate shot at getting him.

I am seeing this somewhat on the flip side ...... my newest son-in-law is a former MLB player.  He was drafted out of college, maybe around the 13th or 17th round.  In other words, no guarantee.  He spent five years in the minors, working his way up to "the show."  He had a journeyman career, playing with the Tigers, the Mariners, the White Sox, Phillies and finally bottoming out with the Cubs over five more seasons.  He ended his career after a fast ball from Brendan Morrow crushed him in the face.  Getting back into the batter's box after that was a psychological nightmare and too tough to overcome.  He had some success, going deep about 25 times in that career.  His personal highlight was going deep off Andy Pettite at Yankee Stadium on a Mother's Day with his mom in the front row.  

So that took him from about 21 to 31 years old.  When he realized he was done, he tried to come back s a relief pitcher as he was both a pitcher and rightfielder in college.  He was the CAA Player of the Year his pre-draft year in college.  Failing that, he went back and got his degree.  All well and good right?  Not really.  His ten years in the majors did result in some nice change coming into his pockets and he got used to that.  But without the credentials of a Cal Ripken, a Derek Jeter, or even a John Kruk (who's done really well in the broadcasting circuit with ESPN and the Phillies), journeymen ballplayers are a dime a dozen.  So he was thrust into the real world at 33 after a 10-year hiatus in la-la-land.  While he has found decent jobs over that time, it's not the million dollar world he was used to.  Well, I say million dollars and he earned a few of those aggregate over the years.  He did say he  used to get $16k every two weeks which is a little over $400,000 a year.  I can live off that!  

The real world reality is taking some time to overcome.  Work is hard and not a ball game where all you really do is show up and hone your craft.  Daily meal money.  Charter flights.  Chauffeured bus rides from airport to hotel.  Benefits.  And there aren't that many jobs that pay you six figures at the drop of a pin; hard work is really hard work over and above tracking down a liner at the warning track and diving for it.  Starting at the bottom is tough, I think we all know that.  

These guys don't want that, they want the millions of the NBA.  My SIL didn't really splurge either except in terms of his car --- a fulyl equipped Denali.  Plus he's added a Lincoln now.  Tough to try to tell him a Toyota Corolla makes more sense.  

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

I used to be equally confused when I would see business school majors that have no business sense and art  majors who can't draw.  But then I came to understand that college is the last stage of a 16 year process.  It's not some magic elixir. 

If you can pay the tuition or if you're useful to the college, you can get a college degree.  Welcome to capitalism.

how true

It sounded like speculation on his part, but Frank said on his show today that he thinks SLU will have to decide between taking Thames and Larry Jr. He’s not sure they will have room for both, but they seem to be in good shape with both players. He thinks one of them will be a Billiken next year, but isn’t sure which one the staff wants more.

3star_recruit likes this

7 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

It sounded like speculation on his part, but Frank said on his show today that he thinks SLU will have to decide between taking Thames and Larry Jr. He’s not sure they will have room for both, but they seem to be in good shape with both players. He thinks one of them will be a Billiken next year, but isn’t sure which one the staff wants more.

If Frank's speculation is an indicator of what the staff is thinking, I agree that Thames/LHJ is a coin toss.  Thames does more things well but Hughes is capable of getting hot from long distance and his father is a Billiken Mount Rushmore player.  Tough call.

SLURadioBoy likes this

Larry sr is a billiken legend, an important booster and runs an organization that could be a vital feeder of athletes (not just basketball or his son). 

Because of the above if the talent is comparable, you take larry jr in a second.   

Larry the legends son must be a Billiken no matter what IMO.

Even if Larry jr was a division 2  level player I would still want Hughes junior on the team with a scholarship.

4 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Please elaborate because clearly dunking isn't an issue:

http://www.hudl.com/v/2F2cL6

That video was impressive.  I know all highlight videos show the best plays, but it still peaked my interest.  The reverse dunk about halfway through was interesting.  I don't know why guys don't do that more as a means to avoid a block.

11 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

That video was impressive.  I know all highlight videos show the best plays, but it still peaked my interest.  The reverse dunk about halfway through was interesting.  I don't know why guys don't do that more as a means to avoid a block.

Turnbull is light years ahead of Knollmeyer athletically.  It might be only a highlight video, but that much is clear from the video.

1 hour ago, AGB91 said:

At the cost of sounding greedy.

Why can't we have both?

We need the best players possible.

Travis will figure out what to do with them.

Frank did say there is a chance they could take both since Thames can play PG and Hughes is more of a shooting guard. But he thinks they may have to choose between the two of them.