Recruiting - 2022

Pistol

1 hour ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Most of your point with Davis had nothing to do with his transfer though. Say what you will about these prep schools, but Reed will get more exposure from his year at Link. He also will be in a basketball program more closely resembling what he will see in college, which could be beneficial. As has been noted before, Link will likely rise to the Oak Hill-type level pretty quickly.

If a four-star recruit from a nationally recognized high school program with a history of putting players in the NBA needs to transfer just to prepare himself for high major basketball, all St. Louis high school programs should just shut down right now.

AGB91 and slufanskip like this

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This move does not increase his profile ..... how much higher can he go ..... four- or five-stars, big name, getting recruited at all the Big name schools.  What's to add to?  The only way this makes sense is if he dominate other four-and five-star kids and then jumps to the NBA without college.  Unless this move guarantees he starts for said Big program ... which I thought he was at that level already.

52 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

If a four-star recruit from a nationally recognized high school program with a history of putting players in the NBA needs to transfer just to prepare himself for high major basketball, all St. Louis high school programs should just shut down right now.

Who said he needs to in order to prepare for high major basketball? I didn’t, although maybe that is what Reed thinks.

On 6/17/2021 at 8:18 PM, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I believe it's in this thread that the reporter and/or the audience must have confused his being on campus for a visit to Purdue with committing to Purdue.

You are jhust being too kind to the  reporter and or the audience. Reporters generally report what the audience wants to hear.

I don’t think the rise of these schools is about the kids. It’s about the aau coaches and family members and trainers wanting to exert extra influence on their basketball career. No experts in the field of development are saying basketball players should specialize. No college coaches are saying they want recruits to come from basketball academies. NBA coaches and GMs are on the record saying they prefer players to not come from basketball-specific backgrounds. It’s not about players, it’s about aau coaches and advisors and family members. 

slufanskip and bauman like this

It's Reed's AAU coach at MOKAN who has persuaded him to come to LYP:

Rumors also have Damien Mayo (Chaminade, MOKAN Elite) heading there. Not official yet.

On 6/17/2021 at 4:13 PM, Coach314 said:

Yeah.  He gets to play with high major talent on his roster.  Against other High Major D1 talent.  More games.  More exposure.  

On 6/17/2021 at 5:32 PM, BilliesBy40 said:

Most of your point with Davis had nothing to do with his transfer though. Say what you will about these prep schools, but Reed will get more exposure from his year at Link. He also will be in a basketball program more closely resembling what he will see in college, which could be beneficial. As has been noted before, Link will likely rise to the Oak Hill-type level pretty quickly.

"More exposure" in terms of more games, more travel, more chances to be in front of coaches, and more practice/training because academics become a much lower priority at a start-up than at an established college prep school. But my question remains, "more exposure" to what end?

Reed just took an official visit to Michigan State. He has an offer from Kansas, which has stepped up its recruitment of him considerably. He went to Purdue and has the rest of the Big Ten in pursuit, including Michigan, Ohio State, and Indiana. He's a top-100 recruit, which means every D-I staff in the country knows his name. When you have offers from Michigan and Michigan State, there are less than 10 programs with higher stature. And just because Kentucky and UNC and Duke and Villanova haven't offered (yet) doesn't mean they aren't well aware of him and aren't willing to extend an offer.

Going from the school that put out Brad Beal and Jayson Tatum to a new, ambitious prep school run by AAU coaches in Branson doesn't elevate his status for them. At best, these coaches get a few more chances to see him. At worst, he can fall back on his offers from the likes of Kansas and Michigan State. In short, he's past the point of needing the boost.

The argument could be made for lower profile recruits. Mayo only has a few D-I offers and his recruitment has been quiet lately. He could make the exposure argument, even if I'd argue against it. For Reed, it just means more basketball and less school and picking his AAU coach over Frank Bennett. Disappointing.

AGB91 likes this

@Pistol As always, you make good points, but cry me a river about poor ole Chaminade. Frankly, who cares. Also, Chaminade did not make Beal or Tatum.

Another factor is whether Reed’s best offers are commit-able. He is not a 5 star guy at this point, so it’s very possible those offers are “contingent” on other factors.

thatskablamo likes this

I think the "stars" of this effort ... Reed, etc..... can do it just for more basketball, less school.  It's those like Mayo who come along for the ride that get the better exposure.  Maybe upping their exposure and offers.

1 hour ago, BilliesBy40 said:

@Pistol As always, you make good points, but cry me a river about poor ole Chaminade. Frankly, who cares. Also, Chaminade did not make Beal or Tatum.

Another factor is whether Reed’s best offers are commit-able. He is not a 5 star guy at this point, so it’s very possible those offers are “contingent” on other factors.

I also don't feel bad for Chaminade.  They've been the beneficiary of a number of kids who could have brought glory to the public schools in their area.  Just pointing out that this startup school needs the 4 stars transferring in a lot more than they need the school. Reed, in particular, has had the entire Big 10 chasing after him for months now. 

Chaminade will still be a prestigious private school regardless of whether the occasional 4 star player chooses to suit up elsewhere.

Without going into too much detail... Mokan and its directors essentially make all the decisions for Link Academy. This may clear up why some are confused for players attending there. In short, they are looking to place their best players there and develop younger ones so they can be even better during the summer circuit. 

Pistol and NextYearBill like this

7 hours ago, seanwest said:

Without going into too much detail... Mokan and its directors essentially make all the decisions for Link Academy. This may clear up why some are confused for players attending there. In short, they are looking to place their best players there and develop younger ones so they can be even better during the summer circuit. 

AAU coaches running a school...probably not a good idea.

11 hours ago, Taj79 said:

I think the "stars" of this effort ... Reed, etc..... can do it just for more basketball, less school.  It's those like Mayo who come along for the ride that get the better exposure.  Maybe upping their exposure and offers.

I agree with this.

Instead of spending time worrying about chemistry and World Religions he will spend his time playing ball and occasionally need to take an open book spelling test. 

1 hour ago, dlarry said:

I agree with this.

Instead of spending time worrying about chemistry and World Religions he will spend his time playing ball and occasionally need to take an open book spelling test. 

“Can I please have the language of origin?”

Not  saying the above is true or is commonplace for all athletes but it makes for a head scratcher when you find our that four-year college players come out with a so-called degree but can't read, write or speak properly.  Ever catch an interview with Lamar Jackson of the Baltimore Ravens?