Recruiting - 2022

Pistol

With the 2022 class, I think it's a matter of months rather than weeks before anybody breaks out of the MM+ category.  They've all got some things they need to work on, whether it's their body, three-point shot or ball handling.  Most Billiken recruits out of high school fall into the MM+ category so that isn't a knock against anybody.  But when you have 3 scholarships to give, the goal is to land a guy who can carry a team offensively with one of those scholarships.

billiken_roy likes this

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Taylor had 18 for DeSmet and a strong first half. They play better with their personnel when he has the ball vs off the ball. (which was more of the 2nd half). Missed about 4 to 5 good in and out shots late for the difference. That and they needed a few more makes on baseline 3's from Lovette and Duff, that Redmond would normally knock down if he were playing. 

Martin had a solid game, didn't try to do too much, 12 foot angle jumpers find space in the zone in the first half. Motor and effort are keys to his game. He was able to get a few more transition buckets and FT's in the 2nd. His few 3's were all top of the key. 

Hughes' buckets were mostly catch and shoot 3's from the wing. Good length, and form, a little bit slower release and pace. 

On 1/20/2021 at 10:56 AM, brianstl said:

He goes by Chevy, too.  Karate, Chevy and Chevalier.  the kid is basically a one man all name team.

He decommited from the Illini when Lovie was fired.  He would have at least been a really solid mid major recruit if he would have decided to focus on basketball.  A really good athlete, good size and could have developed as a much better shooter from the perimeter than he is.

I just read an article on stltoday.com that Brenson verbally committed to Ball State yesterday (after not signing and decommitting from Illinois due to the coaching change). The article mentions this being his last season of basketball, so doesn't sound like he considered hoops at the next level at all. He is entertaining as hell to watch on the basketball court though, certainly wish him luck at Ball State.

Vianney played defense on LH Jr much like the Bills play defense on good shooting guards outside the arc, what I have heard called OLE defense.  Allow the shooter to get the ball unchallenged and then put a hand up on D about 3-5 feet away. 

This was the ultimate up and down, wide open game that Mario excels at.  John A. Logan managed to score 121 points despite commiting 31 turnovers.  Shades of the ABA.

He's be a good fit with the dribble-drive dominant offense of Mike Anderson at St. John's so I'm not surprised that their name shows up in this article.  As usual, these sorts of articles have no interest in discussing specific mid-majors:

https://247sports.com/Article/Basketbal-recruiting-Maryland-Oregon-St-Johns-Mario-McKinney-157166936/Amp/

McKinney's assistant coach John Clancy has been handling a lot of his recruitment and spoke on the teams showing interest.

“The best mid majors in the country and a bunch of high majors called and have been watching film on him,” he said. “A lot of schools are tracking him right now and showing significant interest. Maryland and St. Johns are probably showing the most interest and Oregon has been early on him.

Congrats to Gateway AAU PG Drenin Dinkins for leading his Class 1 South Iron squad to a 38-35 upset over CBC yesterday.  Dinkins scored 16 points and pulled down 15 rebounds just by being the most fundamentally sound player on the floor. He's grown 4 inches over the last two years to 6 foot.  If his growth spurt continues, he will make some mid-major very happy.

21 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

This was the ultimate up and down, wide open game that Mario excels at.  John A. Logan managed to score 121 points despite commiting 31 turnovers.  Shades of the ABA.

He's be a good fit with the dribble-drive dominant offense of Mike Anderson at St. John's so I'm not surprised that their name shows up in this article.  As usual, these sorts of articles have no interest in discussing specific mid-majors:

https://247sports.com/Article/Basketbal-recruiting-Maryland-Oregon-St-Johns-Mario-McKinney-157166936/Amp/

McKinney's assistant coach John Clancy has been handling a lot of his recruitment and spoke on the teams showing interest.

“The best mid majors in the country and a bunch of high majors called and have been watching film on him,” he said. “A lot of schools are tracking him right now and showing significant interest. Maryland and St. Johns are probably showing the most interest and Oregon has been early on him.

Do JUCO players get the same free year that D1 players are receiving this year?  Is this a free year for McKinney?

EDIT:  found out by Goggling it, yes they do get this as a free year.  Should have done this before I posted.

https://billingsgazette.com/sports/college/njcaa-announces-2020-21-season-wont-count-against-student-athlete-eligibility/article_1743988b-ceb9-57ad-808e-8ff0443234dc.html

5 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Do JUCO players get the same free year that D1 players are receiving this year?  Is this a free year for McKinney?

EDIT:  found out by Goggling it, yes they do get this as a free year.  Should have done this before I posted.

https://billingsgazette.com/sports/college/njcaa-announces-2020-21-season-wont-count-against-student-athlete-eligibility/article_1743988b-ceb9-57ad-808e-8ff0443234dc.html

We would be even deader around here if all googled more🥴

HoosierPal likes this

Refresher on Holiman:

Adante Holiman - PG, 5-11, 165 - McAlester, OK (McAlester) - AAU: Next Page Force (Adidas Gold) - Twitter: @TeHoliman
Offers: Saint Louis, DePaul, Arizona, Arizona State, Tulsa, Akron, South Alabama, Western Illinois, Kansas City, South Carolina State.

Interest: Creighton, Virginia Tech, Michigan State, Purdue, Nebraska, Kansas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Baylor, Texas A&M, Missouri, Ole Miss, Vanderbilt, SMU, Temple, UNLV, New Mexico, Colorado State, Wyoming, Boise State, Utah State, San Diego, Princeton, Dartmouth, Belmont, Murray State, Loyola-Chicago, SIU-Carbondale, Valparaiso, Drake, Rice, Louisiana Tech, North Texas, Texas State, Texas-San Antonio, Akron, Ball State, Youngstown State, Georgia State, Coastal Carolina, Troy, Texas-Arlington, Sam Houston State, New Orleans, UC-San Diego, South Dakota State, Denver, Omaha, Western Illinois, Oral Roberts, New Hampshire, Montana State, Northern Arizona, Campbell, Bryant, Liberty, Seattle, Texas-Rio Grande Valley, Howard, North Carolina Central, Alcorn State, Grambling State, Alabama A&M.

Latest News: Holiman received offers from SLU and Arizona. (2/4/21)

Scouting Report: Holiman is a small but natural point guard. He has excellent handles and quickness, beats defenders off the dribble, and finishes at the rim with either hand. He can shoot with range. He makes plays for his teammates and gets after it defensively. He has an incredible work ethic and competitive streak. As a sophomore, he averaged 30 PPG, 4 RPG, 4 APG, and 3 SPG and went 52% from the field and 37% from 3. His father is the head coach for his HS team.

-The kid can absolutely fill it up. Just seeing his recent point totals scrolling through Twitter - 39, 31, 48, 36, 39, 25 - as of a few weeks ago he was averaging 34 PPG. He's small; I see his height listed anywhere from 5-9 to 5-11. I don't see big-time programs like Arizona typically offering guys that small this early, if ever. He recently announced he's switching from Team Griffin (Nike EYBL) to Next Page Force (Adidas Gold) for the AAU season, which is a big step down. Maybe he wants to be on an AAU team where he's the man, like for his HS team.

As a sophomore, Blair Oaks Luke Northweather put up a good fight against Cardinal Ritter at state. This year he's averaging 29 ppg including two 40 point games against Rock Bridge and Hickman.  Northweather is not a leaper but he runs the floor well at 6'9. He's the most offensively skilled big in the state not named Tarris Reed, with a solid post game and range extending beyond the three-point arc. 

Earl Austin loves Northweather so I know the staff is aware of him.  He's clearly a D-1 player.  What will be determined come AAU season is what level of D-1.  Personally, I think he's a mid-major player already.

Pistol, brianstl and CBFan like this

His brother plays at Truman State. I don't see any offers but he's got D-I coaches from North Dakota, Central Michigan, Boise State, Illinois State, Belmont, and SEMO following him on Twitter (where he's not active). He appears to move pretty well, he's clever in the post, passes well, and can shoot it.

You don't see scoring numbers like that from HS bigs often, even though he's not playing MCC-level competition every night. Intriguing player. Appreciate the heads up.