Recruiting - 2022

Pistol

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Yes, I would take a Gibson Jimerson caliber shooter in every class.

I'd take a kid who a good shooter, even if he was a slight step back from Gibson level, if that kid had a bit more of an upside athletically and a father with a very strong connection to the program.

Here’s an article from Recruit Look Hoops about some of the CBC players: https://www.eplayrlh.com/impact-players-christian-brothers-college/

It includes breakdowns of Hughes and Martin, plus a few other their other players. I’m surprised SLU isn’t listed among the schools recruiting Martin the hardest.

Larry Hughes Jr. | CBC | Class of 2022 | Shooting Guard

Hughes has started off his junior year strong. He has scored 20+ points in his last 3 performances and his confidence is growing. It all starts with the perimeter jump shot for Hughes as his game is built off the threat to shoot the ball efficiently. On the other end, he possesses an outstanding defensive IQ and impacts the game. With good size at about 6’5 and long arms, Hughes is tough to score on and he has good awareness as a help defender. Currently holding an offer from Saint Louis where his father was a star, look for Hughes to gain attention from top programs in the Midwest. 

Robert Martin | CBC | Class of 2022 | Point Guard

Martin is quite possibly the quickest point guard in Missouri. His speed and ability to change direction with the ball make him a tough cover in the open floor. In the halfcourt, Martin can score without needing a screen and his passing vision is excellent. He has the ability to use his eyes against the defense and look off his main passing target while still posing a threat to score. Colleges looking for an electric floor general should be all over Martin and he tells us that Iowa, Kansas State, and Purdue are recruiting him the most at the moment. 

13 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Here’s an article from Recruit Look Hoops about some of the CBC players: https://www.eplayrlh.com/impact-players-christian-brothers-college/

It includes breakdowns of Hughes and Martin, plus a few other their other players. I’m surprised SLU isn’t listed among the schools recruiting Martin the hardest.

Larry Hughes Jr. | CBC | Class of 2022 | Shooting Guard

Hughes has started off his junior year strong. He has scored 20+ points in his last 3 performances and his confidence is growing. It all starts with the perimeter jump shot for Hughes as his game is built off the threat to shoot the ball efficiently. On the other end, he possesses an outstanding defensive IQ and impacts the game. With good size at about 6’5 and long arms, Hughes is tough to score on and he has good awareness as a help defender. Currently holding an offer from Saint Louis where his father was a star, look for Hughes to gain attention from top programs in the Midwest. 

Robert Martin | CBC | Class of 2022 | Point Guard

Martin is quite possibly the quickest point guard in Missouri. His speed and ability to change direction with the ball make him a tough cover in the open floor. In the halfcourt, Martin can score without needing a screen and his passing vision is excellent. He has the ability to use his eyes against the defense and look off his main passing target while still posing a threat to score. Colleges looking for an electric floor general should be all over Martin and he tells us that Iowa, Kansas State, and Purdue are recruiting him the most at the moment. 

We're the only school that has offered Martin.  If you ask a kid which schools are recruiting him the hardest he will often tell you about his most recent interest, regardless of whether they've offered.

billiken_roy likes this

14 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

We're the only school that has offered Martin.  If you ask a kid which schools are recruiting him the hardest he will often tell you about his most recent interest, regardless of whether they've offered.

-do you have any idea of Martin's interest in SLU?

17 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

for years i have gotten mad at the way recruiting analysis down plays or flat out ignores slu on a recruit.   we werent even mentioned with kevin lisch for the longest time when i know we were the one school giving him the most attention and always in first place.   same with hughes sr.    the world thought for sure he was going to syracuse.   you'd think with the advancements slu has made since ford came to town, that nonsense would stop.   still the same.

Hughes is growing into his body, growing into his role as a scorer and growing into his athleticism. He has the tools to be a plus shooter and defender. And personally I do place some value of coming from a basketball family and having an NBA father like he does. He is a classic case of a player who could be a late bloomer and I would take him at SLU in any class, even if his dad were not a former Billiken. 

2 minutes ago, NH said:

Hughes is growing into his body, growing into his role as a scorer and growing into his athleticism. He has the tools to be a plus shooter and defender. And personally I do place some value of coming from a basketball family and having an NBA father like he does. He is a classic case of a player who could be a late bloomer and I would take him at SLU in any class, even if his dad were not a former Billiken. 

Sounds like he's good, but because he's a Hughes, he's expected to have been past this point by now

53 minutes ago, NH said:

He does have late bloomer attributes and is still just a junior which is why I am still intrigued by him. Otherwise, from what I have seen at this point he would be a pass similar to the rest of that '22 local class beyond Reed. But when you see a kid look so young and undeveloped at that age you have to assume the rest of his physical development is about to catch up with the growth spurt. And given who his dad is, I would have to assume he is going to have the proper training to allow him to add bulk and other elements to his game as he grows into that length. Thames is another kid who has grown quite a bit and has some intriguing skills to go along with the blood lines, so two kids who I hope get an AAU season to get a better feel for where they are heading into their senior years. I somewhat question the upside of guys like Mayo and Martin despite really liking both, so another two I am interested in watching this spring/summer, but more to get a better sense for how high their floor might be.

Reports out of North County are that Thames has really improved. He's grown and developed some skill in the past year. He's gone from a borderline D-1 prospect to a borderline high major prospect. Pattonville has been great this year and he's by far their top player.  He's really under the radar and would have significantly more offers and attention if he had played summer Ball.

6 hours ago, Pistol said:

Here's his bio:

Kellen Thames - G, 6-5, 175 - Maryland Heights, MO (Pattonville) - AAU: Brad Beal Elite (Nike EYBL)
Offers: Saint Louis, Georgetown.

Interest: Missouri, Morehead State.

Latest News: Thames received an offer from SLU. (1/21/21)

Scouting Report: Thames is a growing combo guard who thrives in transition. He has a quick first step, gets to the rim through traffic, and finishes. He can also shoot the three but needs to become more consistent with it. He has nice handles and passing ability. He plays with a high motor and is aggressive at both ends. He was Pattonville's leading scorer as a sophomore and is leading them again as a junior. He is the son of former Mizzou player Kelly Thames.

It's hard to gauge interested schools when he doesn't have much of a social media presence and he doesn't play for a program that's constantly talking about who's recruiting their players. Suffice it to say that his interest list is much longer in reality. I'm just not able to confirm others at the moment.

This is a crazy looking offer sheet. SLU and Georgetown? No midmajor flyers on this one except... .Motörhead State? What? 

That said. He has two good offers. His video shows that he has the TF required athleticism. I would take him as a Bill.

1 hour ago, AnkielBreakers said:

This is a crazy looking offer sheet. SLU and Georgetown? No midmajor flyers on this one except... .Motörhead State? What? 

That said. He has two good offers. His video shows that he has the TF required athleticism. I would take him as a Bill.

So Hughes and Thames play the same position.  Combo guard or maybe small forward.  If SLU can take one, who would you take?  Seems Thames might be the better player from all I have read.  By the way, this article has an evaluation by Kelly Thames of his son Kellen's talents.  See last few paragraphs of the article.   https://missouri.rivals.com/news/catching-up-with-kelly-thames

24 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

So Hughes and Thames play the same position.  Combo guard or maybe small forward.  If SLU can take one, who would you take?  Seems Thames might be the better player from all I have read.  By the way, this article has an evaluation by Kelly Thames Sr. of his son's talents.  See last few paragraphs of the article.  https://missouri.rivals.com/news/catching-up-with-kelly-thames

I don’t know who will be better, but everyone wants Hughes more. But can we really afford to pass up on a recruiting cycle for him? I would take both and figure out a way to play both.

10 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Sounds like Papa Thames is a devout Mizzerian. 

I'm not saying he will or won't be good enough for us. But the good thing for him is with his dad's connections at Mizzou if he doesn't end up good enough for us he can still drop down a couple of notches and go to Mizzou

dennis_w and willie like this

I caught a bit of the 3rd quarter thru the end of the CBC/De Smet game last night. I think I’ve decided with how CBC defends you can’t overly evaluate their opponents, so I don’t have anything on the De Smet players individually. Although the Taylor kid did make some nice shots. As far as CBC, Robert Martin was seemingly banged up, but man he is quick and his shot looks really good. Kid was hobbling at times, but still making play after play. He is just so small though, but that is a kid I really like and fun to watch at this level. I am really interested in watching him this spring/summer. And this is twice over the past week where I find myself thinking why wouldn’t a major hoops program sit down with Karate. If any coach envisions playing a style similar to West Virginia and has a scholarship to fill I would consider taking a flyer on him. He is so damn active and seemingly gets his hands on any ball remotely close to him. Really impressive to watch. De Smet played mostly zone. I definitely remember Hughes making one from deep and missing a few others, but not overly involved in the offense last night when I was watching. He had 11 points, so I’m thinking he might have gotten the majority of those in the opening half or early 3rd quarter. Probably hard to evaluate guys against a zone as well.