Recruiting - 2022

Pistol

21 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I was a little worried about Hughes after CBC's first two games because he had a total of 6 points between them. He's scored 20, 20, and now 25 in the past three, though.

Martin has been very good in all five games. He's leading CBC in scoring at 17.4 PPG, with 4.0 APG and 1.6 SPG. He's the leader of a 5-0 team with wins over SLUH, Ritter, St. Mary's, Confluence, and STLCA.

CBC plays Chaminade tomorrow.

I didn’t realize Larry has been shooting so well lately. I hope he can keep it up. Maybe he is finally asserting himself as a go to scorer?

I am very intrigued by Martin and wonder if he would be the perfect replacement for Yuri. He could be his backup for a season and then take the reins.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

St. Louis Christian has an A team with the high major D-1 recruits on it and a B team that frankly, sucks.  They've yet to win a game this season and this is the team CBC beat.  It's good that Larry has been scoring a lot against the weak teams on CBC's schedule.  But he's been a non-factor offensively against strong teams. That's a pattern that's carried over from last season.  Still waiting on him to turn the corner there.

SLU_Lax and Pistol like this

I will be watching Hughes closely this Friday, but to this point he doesn't strike me as a high major player. Maybe part of that is because he is so thin and my opinion would be different if he matured physically. I find myself really liking Martin, but I always question guys who are that small.

Looking at the box scores from their first 4 games (no shooting stats from their game last night, so that would certainly improve these stats), Hughes attempted more 3s than 2s and shot 28% overall (17.4% from 3) with 18 of 46 points coming from the free throw line where he shot 75%. Again, that does not include last night's game, but in his first 4 games he only shot >20% in one of those games (hit 7/12 shots against St. Mary's) and in his 20 point effort against Confluence 13 of those were at the line.

@3star_recruit is their A team not playing locally this season?

slu72 likes this

48 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

I will be watching Hughes closely this Friday, but to this point he doesn't strike me as a high major player. Maybe part of that is because he is so thin and my opinion would be different if he matured physically. I find myself really liking Martin, but I always question guys who are that small.

Looking at the box scores from their first 4 games (no shooting stats from their game last night, so that would certainly improve these stats), Hughes attempted more 3s than 2s and shot 28% overall (17.4% from 3) with 18 of 46 points coming from the free throw line where he shot 75%. Again, that does not include last night's game, but in his first 4 games he only shot >20% in one of those games (hit 7/12 shots against St. Mary's) and in his 20 point effort against Confluence 13 of those were at the line.

@3star_recruit is their A team not playing locally this season?

They played in the Grind Session in December.  I don't know their local schedule.  I suspect teams A and B will re-integrate at some point.

On 1/14/2021 at 9:28 AM, billiken_roy said:

i would be very happy if hughes and martin came to the billikens.  

I agree Martin would be a fantastic follow-up to Yuri. Verbal Commits says SLU made the first offer.

With Ford making the final four as a 5-9 point guard himself, be Martin will be a Billiken.

Larry Jr. has been trying to prove since last year that he is a threat from outside.  But after yet another rough night shooting the ball, something like 4-16, he's shooting less than 30% from the field this year and in the teens from 3.  His best scoring success this year has come as a driver.  If he accepts that, and becomes a lot more selective with his perimeter shot, those percentages will go up.  

Mayo has very good shot selection and his percentages reflect that.  His ability to get to his spot gave Chaminade the offensive lift they needed to pull away late in the 4th quarter.  He's a consistent three point shot away from being a top 150 player.

Martin continues to perform at a high level, regardless of competition.  His quickness, handles and jumper make him really hard to guard at the high school level.  And he's a pest on defense.  I think his Jacob Gilyard-like talents translate well to the A10.

SLURadioBoy and CBFan like this

Hey 3star, can Hughes Jr. defend?  His reputation is as a shooter, even though he has more to prove in that regard.  On the offensive end, you can be one dimensional if your special skill is shooting.  However, you need to be able to defend to be effective on the Billikens.  What have you seen?

14 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Hey 3star, can Hughes Jr. defend?  His reputation is as a shooter, even though he has more to prove in that regard.  On the offensive end, you can be one dimensional if your special skill is shooting.  However, you need to be able to defend to be effective on the Billikens.  What have you seen?

If I've been following what's been written on here correctly it sounds like his perimeter shooting is not very good

Hughes is a good defender and decent rebounder for a skinny guy (ignore the StlToday rebounding stats, they're useless).  He's a good free throw shooter.  There's a lot to like.  He just needs to exercise better shot selection.  He's one of those players that needs to see the ball go through the hoop.  I rarely see him get hot after missing a bunch of shots early.

In my opinion, the 2022 class consists of Reed (top 75) and a bunch of MM+ guys (200-400).  Stacker and Hughes have the most upside.  Mayo and Martin are the most consistent so I would rank them higher at this point.  Thames is hard to evaluate because Pattonville's schedule is weak and their style is so helter skelter.  We'll see how he does in AAU.

It will be interesting to see what kid(s), if any, break through and becomes a  top 150 player.

12 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Hughes is a good defender and decent rebounder for a skinny guy (ignore the StlToday rebounding stats, they're useless).  He's a good free throw shooter.  There's a lot to like.  He just needs to exercise better shot selection.  He's one of those players that needs to see the ball go through the hoop.  I rarely see him get hot after missing a bunch of shots early.

In my opinion, the 2022 class consists of Reed (top 75) and a bunch of MM+ guys (200-400).  Stacker and Hughes have the most upside.  Mayo and Martin are the most consistent so I would rank them higher at this point.  Thames is hard to evaluate because Pattonville's schedule is weak and their style is so helter skelter.  We'll see how he does in AAU.

It will be interesting to see what kid(s), if any, break through and becomes a  top 150 player.

The only other 2022 local kid I'm really tracking right now is Brian Taylor from De Smet. Where would you put him in relation to the others?

33 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

He just needs to exercise better shot selection.

Sounds like the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree.  At one point during his NBA career there was a popular Cavs blog called "hey larry hughes please stop taking so many bad shots".  Fortunately for Larry & SLU his talent level was so high that there wasn't really such thing as a "bad shot" for him in college.

It does not sound like Larry Jr. is particularly close to the talent level of Sr.  Hopefully he learns & adjusts as such.

32 minutes ago, Pistol said:

The only other 2022 local kid I'm really tracking right now is Brian Taylor from De Smet. Where would you put him in relation to the others?

Taylor goes in that same MM+ category.  More consistent than Hughes but still not showing much in big games.  We'll see how he does in the rematch against Chaminade tonight.

Pistol likes this

Mayo couldn't get it going tonight, missing a ton of layups .  Taylor got it going in the second half making a ton of layups and a handful of short jumpers.  That's really Taylor's game, attacking off the bounce.  He's a reluctant three-point shooter. 

Chaminade got enough contributions from Tarris Reed and others to hold on for the 56-51 victory.  Glad to see Taylor show up big-time in a big game.  He even had some nice dishes off of penetration.  Hopefully this performance propels him going forward.

Pistol and CBFan like this

18 hours ago, Box and Won said:

Hold up, why have y'all been keeping this a name secret from me all this time?

He's going to Illinois for football - we didn't want to get your hopes up.

FWIW, he was the best player on the floor in the Chaminade-CBC game. I only started late in the third quarter, but @TheChosenOne said it was true of the whole game. He's more than just a high-level HS athlete who plays multiple sports. He's got a good feel out there.

13 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Mayo couldn't get it going tonight, missing a ton of layups .  Taylor got it going in the second half making a ton of layups and a handful of short jumpers.  That's really Taylor's game, attacking off the bounce.  He's a reluctant three-point shooter. 

Chaminade got enough contributions from Tarris Reed and others to hold on for the 56-51 victory.  Glad to see Taylor show up big-time in a big game.  He even had some nice dishes off of penetration.  Hopefully this performance propels him going forward.

Taylor is a good defender, long. He's a willing shooter depending on the game and circumstances. DeSmet has a different look than expected this year. Their best shooter, Thomas Redmond, who was getting interest from Moser and others last year is playing club soccer, as he is one of thr best soccer players in the state. And of course, Keita and Markway are out with injuries.

It will be interesting to see how John Duff's kid (Justin) develops both physically and a player. He's getting regular time as a Sophomore this year. 

9 minutes ago, courtside said:

It will be interesting to see how John Duff's kid (Justin) develops both physically and a player. He's getting regular time as a Sophomore this year. 

John Duff was a really good 3 point shooter.  Assuming Justin had a similar game, there is a much greater appreciation for that kind of player today than there was during John Duff's career.

19 hours ago, Box and Won said:

Hold up, why have y'all been keeping this a name secret from me all this time?

27 minutes ago, Pistol said:

He's going to Illinois for football - we didn't want to get your hopes up.

FWIW, he was the best player on the floor in the Chaminade-CBC game. I only started late in the third quarter, but @TheChosenOne said it was true of the whole game. He's more than just a high-level HS athlete who plays multiple sports. He's got a good feel out there.

He goes by Chevy, too.  Karate, Chevy and Chevalier.  the kid is basically a one man all name team.

He decommited from the Illini when Lovie was fired.  He would have at least been a really solid mid major recruit if he would have decided to focus on basketball.  A really good athlete, good size and could have developed as a much better shooter from the perimeter than he is.