Recruiting - 2022

Pistol

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

That's just Reed's current suitors.  If his junior season goes well, that list will get upgraded.  He just got an offer from Michigan St.

I get it, and there is plenty of time for the kid to get more "high major" offers to go along with Michigan State, but the other three schools I mentioned aren't in that class and don't fit that label.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A year ago, we didn't look like a strong player in Nesbitt's recruitment, either. Every recruitment is a dynamic situation and the hometown program, particularly with this staff, can't be counted out until a recruit has made it clear he's moved on.

Reed is a consensus top-75 player and the overall quality of his offers continues to rise. He seems to like that. If he wants a Michigan State or Ohio State kind of school, there's nothing we can do. For now, we just have to continue to recruit him as a priority big in that class and sell him on the things that are unique to SLU.

Meanwhile, Chaminade has another 2022 player who I'm convinced deserves an offer - Damien Mayo. He only has a couple offers so far and I think he could be a steal. Has some attributes shared by Thatch and Jett, and he appears to have grown a little bit based on the most recent highlight video I've seen (which ends with an eye opening dunk). I know I'm completely biased as an alum, but I think he really fits the character of SLU's program right now.

5 minutes ago, Pistol said:

A year ago, we didn't look like a strong player in Nesbitt's recruitment, either. Every recruitment is a dynamic situation and the hometown program, particularly with this staff, can't be counted out until a recruit has made it clear he's moved on.

Reed is a consensus top-75 player and the overall quality of his offers continues to rise. He seems to like that. If he wants a Michigan State or Ohio State kind of school, there's nothing we can do. For now, we just have to continue to recruit him as a priority big in that class and sell him on the things that are unique to SLU.

Meanwhile, Chaminade has another 2022 player who I'm convinced deserves an offer - Damien Mayo. He only has a couple offers so far and I think he could be a steal. Has some attributes shared by Thatch and Jett, and he appears to have grown a little bit based on the most recent highlight video I've seen (which ends with an eye opening dunk). I know I'm completely biased as an alum, but I think he really fits the character of SLU's program right now.

An offer is just a matter of time.  Mayo and Reed will be the dynamic duo at Chaminade this season.

8 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

An offer is just a matter of time.  Mayo and Reed will be the dynamic duo at Chaminade this season.

It has to be. Every time I see a new clip of him, he looks better. I've heard nothing but great things about him as a person, too.

23 minutes ago, Pistol said:

While I agree that Ford can't be counted out, part of the reason why I was disappointed in the article is that he doesn't mention SLU as one that is making him a priority right now.  If Ford thinks he has a chance and we know Reed has been at games so Ford was making him a priority, I don't think he stops unless he knows the player has no interest.  Now of course perhaps Reed just wanted to say the high majors that are making him a priority and just didn't include SLU which is totally possible.  

And if there is one good thing about Ford, I have no worries he will find other talented kids to bring in so like what you are saying about Mayo.  

45 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I think SIUE is his only offer now that I look at it. But I’m higher on his game than the other local 2022 players we haven’t offered yet.

Dayum, offer Mr. Mayo RIGHT NOW!!!

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

This might be Taylor’s first offer. I’m not sure though. Looks like he’s already following Coach Ford on Twitter and has liked a few posts from the University this week. 

Looks like it might be his first.  Plus a short scouting report.

Yes, first offer. Here's his updated bio (he was on the 2022 Interest list):

Brian Taylor - SG, 6-3, 170 - St. Louis, MO (De Smet) - AAU: Gateway - Twitter: @BrianTaylor2_
Offers: Saint Louis.

Interest: Xavier, Creighton, Wake Forest, Tulsa, Utah State, Loyola-Chicago, SIU-Carbondale, Illinois State, Drake, Southeast Missouri, Milwaukee, Furman, Louisiana-Monroe, Texas Southern.

Latest News: Taylor received an offer from SLU. (10/16/20)

Scouting Report: Taylor is an athletic scoring guard with a good all-around skill set. He gets to the basket and can score with either hand, he handles the ball well, and he has a consistent, compact shot. He's an excellent defender with good length and anticipation. Taylor averaged 10.5 PPG as a sophomore with a slashline of .498/.429/.640.

-I obviously need to beef up the scouting report but didn't have a lot of info on him at the time. I'll see what else I can dig up today.

17 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Yes, first offer. Here's his updated bio (he was on the 2022 Interest list):

Brian Taylor - SG, 6-3, 170 - St. Louis, MO (De Smet) - AAU: Gateway - Twitter: @BrianTaylor2_
Offers: Saint Louis.

Interest: Xavier, Creighton, Wake Forest, Tulsa, Utah State, Loyola-Chicago, SIU-Carbondale, Illinois State, Drake, Southeast Missouri, Milwaukee, Furman, Louisiana-Monroe, Texas Southern.

Latest News: Taylor received an offer from SLU. (10/16/20)

Scouting Report: Taylor is an athletic scoring guard with a good all-around skill set. He gets to the basket and can score with either hand, he handles the ball well, and he has a consistent, compact shot. He's an excellent defender with good length and anticipation. Taylor averaged 10.5 PPG as a sophomore with a slashline of .498/.429/.640.

-I obviously need to beef up the scouting report but didn't have a lot of info on him at the time. I'll see what else I can dig up today.

Reminder, SLU alum John Duff is an assistant at DeSmet, and is also affiliated with Gateway (Gateway and Knights merged, also, Duff's son Justin is a Sophomore there)

And DeSmet coach Kent Williams has connections with several of the initially listed schools from the Valley and Creighton etc...

18 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

This video and/or the pictures of Goodwin they had yesterday should be tweeted at every St. Louis kid that gets an offer.

Do it - for real.

I love this offer.

Damien Mayo - G, 6-3, 180 - St. Louis, MO (Chaminade) - AAU: MOKAN Elite (Nike EYBL) - Twitter: @Mayojr_2022
Offers: Saint Louis, SIU-Edwardsville.

Interest: Nebraska, Kansas State, USC, Tulsa, SIU-Carbondale, Illinois State, Belmont, Murray State, Austin Peay, Southeast Missouri, Eastern Michigan, Furman, Lafayette, Sam Houston State, Cal State-Fullerton, Liberty, Cal State-Bakersfield, Kansas City.

Latest News: Mayo received an offer from SLU. (10/16/20)

Scouting Report: Mayo is a tough, strong, energetic guard with a well-rounded game. He makes plays for his teammates, gets to the rim, and can shoot it. He handles the ball well and has an explosive first step and good bounce, and finishes hard at the rim. He's an aggressive defender, creating a ton of turnovers and even blocking shots. He's competitive and hard working.

-There are a lot of coaches following him on Twitter as of very recently - USC, SIUC, Murray State, Furman, Lafayette, Sam Houston State - along with a few members of our staff.

Mining Twitter for other SLU interest and found this guy (SLU reached out recently, per NY2LA Sports):

Zachary Cleveland - SF, 6-7, 205 - Normal, IL (Normal Community) - AAU: Mid-Pro Academy - Twitter: @Zachcleve33
Offers: Southeast Missouri.

Interest: Saint Louis, Belmont, SIU-Edwardsville, Miami-Ohio, Rice, Illinois-Chicago, Green Bay, Milwaukee, Appalachian State, Louisiana-Monroe, South Dakota State, North Dakota, Omaha, Elon, Robert Morris.

Latest News: Cleveland received an offer from SEMO in September. (10/16/20)

Scouting Report: Cleveland is a versatile wing forward with a good combination of skill, toughness, and effort. He can score inside and out and is a crafty finisher. He's a physical rebounder and can block shots. He runs the floor well and gives his team a lot of big hustle plays. His shot has a release point that is low and to the right, but he makes it consistently.

1 hour ago, Bills_06 said:

This video and/or the pictures of Goodwin they had yesterday should be tweeted at every St. Louis kid that gets an offer.

This appears to be taken from the top of the law school.  Seems like a good spot to use for this sort of video.