Recruiting - 2022

Pistol

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, doowop said:

His grandfather was also a good basketball player.  I coached an AAU team that played against him before AAU became what it is today.  He has good basketball genes. 

Ohhhh, I’ll one up you there young timer. His great grand pappy and me played hopscotch down at the watering hole back in the day. He was a hell of a hop scotch player.

Seriously, this post is the first time ‘grandpa’ and ‘AAU’ were used in the same sentence.

BilliesBy40 likes this

9 hours ago, Pistol said:

A lot of Mizzou fans thought Thames would be an NBA player and lead them to glory. They went 14-0 in the Big 8 his freshman year as he averaged 12.2 and 7.1. Then while running during a an offseason workout, he blew out his knee. The next season is when Mizzou lost that heartbreaker in the second round to eventual champ UCLA on Tyus Edney's layup. Thames came back for three more seasons, was incredibly consistent, but never made a big jump in production or made the NBA and most think it's because of his knee. Mizzou made the NIT twice in his last three seasons but never made it back to the NCAA Tournament.

The younger Thames is a guard, whereas his dad was a power forward. Much different game. But if he continues to grow and develop he's a pretty intriguing prospect.

Yes but if memory serves me right Kelly was not that tall.  He was a Dobbs type player - played much bigger than his actual height.  Thanks for your response.

42 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Yes but if memory serves me right Kelly was not that tall.  He was a Dobbs type player - played much bigger than his actual height.  Thanks for your response.

Kelly Thames was 6-7 coming out of Jennings, and by the time he finished his college days, he was a legitimate 6-8.  (He's taller than French, Conklin, etc.  He definitely was nowhere near Dobbs in height.)

doowop and billiken_roy like this

7 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Kelly Thames was 6-7 coming out of Jennings, and by the time he finished his college days, he was a legitimate 6-8.  (He's taller than French, Conklin, etc.  He definitely was nowhere near Dobbs in height.)

Thank you I have the wrong guy now given the input I have been given.  The guy I am thinking of was from Webster Groves and played at Missouri.  Sorry for the rabbit hole trip I caused.

6 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Thank you I have the wrong guy now given the input I have been given.  The guy I am thinking of was from Webster Groves and played at Missouri.  Sorry for the rabbit hole trip I caused.

Even Johnnie Parker was (listed at) 6-6 or 6-7.  He also was taller than Dobbs (6-3).

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

No, it is not Parker I am thinking of.  The guy I am thinking of  played at Missouri in the 1970's for Stewart. 

Tate in the 90s? Otherwise no clue who it could be.  

1 hour ago, Slowry said:

Are you thinking if Tate Decker?  Wasn’t he from WG?  Edit didn’t see that you posted from the 70s. Obviously Decker isn’t that old.

Seeing Tate Decker's name reminded me of a story I posted here back in  09.  He went t to the Shaq vs Pujols HR contest with us that's mentioned at the end of the post. He was such a nice guy and extremely giving of his time. We stayed in contact for a couple of years but haven't spoken or texted in a long while. 

Some of you may remember Tate Decker who played for Webster Groves, went to Mizzou and then to Wake Forrest. He has been playing in Europe for the last 10 or so years. Here is a nice story about what he did for the girls in our organization.

We were having our pizza party for the end of our summer session in a small local restaraunt in High Ridge when an older gentleman who turned out to be Tate's dad asked one of our Mom's what was going on in the back room, when she told him who we were he responded his son played proffessionally in Europe and was across the restaraunt at their table, he introduced them and asked if he could speak to whoever was in charge. I came out and he introduced himself, I knew the name and that he played at Webster and Mizzou but couldn't remember any more. He asked if he could speak to the girls and of course we let him. He spent about 10 - 15 minutes talking to them. Before he left he told me he'd be home for a few more weeks and would love to attend a practice. I told him our season had just ended until tryouts again in Sept. He said if we could put something together he'd still love to come out and work with the girls. I said great I'd see what we could do and he gave us his contact info. Well we ended up putting something together for last Monday. We had about 50-60 girls so it was impossible to make it instructional, so he talked to the girls for about 20 minutes on dedication, work ethic and not giving up. (he was cut in 9th grade). He told stories about playing with Jordan, Duncan and Yao along with stories about the paces he played. He was really fun to listen to.

We then split into age groups and he came to each group and played about 15 minutes each with 4 different groups. (I don't know if it'll end up on our site, but one of the coaches got a pic of him dunking over me) After that he divided up the girls and played knockout with them. When that was over he put on a dunking show and hung around and signed autographs for about 30 minutes. He gave out a couple of jerseys, a few posters and pics. All in all he stayed about 2 1/2 hours and then went and had wings, pizza and beer with us coaches. We have 2 girls in particular that he was very impressed with (a 6th and an 8th grader) and he volunteered to give them a couple of private sessions for free. I have his email and phone number and he wants to do this more often when he's in town .... again, we didn't ask, he just volunteered.

I have to tell you he was fantastic, great personality, fun and the girls loved him. He wasn't asked to do any of this he just volunteered on his own. The man was unbelievable and what a player ... he stood with his feet on the out of bounds line in the corner and just knocked down shot after shot as if he was shooting 8 footers. He was extremely quick and had an arsenal of different dunks. I played along time ago in the USAF and have played against some good players, but he was off the charts good. I can't imagine how good an NBA all star would be.

Just wanted to share this story. I know you don't read this, but Thank You Tate.

BTW ... I have 1 ticket to the Shaq vs Pujols filming tonight at TR Hughes ballpark. First to email me at [email protected] can have it

16 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Theo something.  Sorry that is all I can come up with now.   Theo Franks is who I was thinking of.  

Cheese I know you’re no longer thinking of Johnny Parker but a quick google search found the prior Johnny Parker - his Dad - by our our KShoe. 

cheeseman likes this

• 3 weeks later...